Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

How much is too much for paint?

Hey guys, well I've been looking around going from shop to shop getting quotes on how much it's going to run me to paint my vert before the spring. so far I've gotten from $3000 all the way up to $7000. Although I want the best possible finish im debating whether my car is worthy of a 7g paint job? I've put a lot of time and money into the car and don't want to be dissapointed with the bodywork. What do you guys think is a decent price?

And btw here is what I''ve described to the body shops of the work I want done.

Complete refinish: all windows out moldings door handles hood, trunk lid, bumpers....

Remove and repair rust under the car. It seams e36's have 2 levels of floor? well my bottm level has rusted threw in 2 spots 1 under the driver seat and 1 under the pass seat, small holes though. ( size of baseball)

pull fenders out a little to home my soon to be refinished 18'RS.

I want original Shawrz11 Black but I want it to be one shiney mofo!

thats all i can think of for now...

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Jay
Old 01-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
simplycars
6th Gear Member

proper paint job will run you around 4-8k.
rust repair and so on will add to the cost.
also once you start to remove parts you will find out that you need to buy some as well.

i worked on an old MB from 1970s that was to be completely restored.
once the interior was removed, customer said to patch up the holes in the floor, paint the floor with rust paint and drove away :-)
Old 01-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

The quotes don't seem excessive considering the additional bodywork involved. I'm also going to warn you, this is one aspect of modification you really should take your time on and make sure that you are 100% satisfied with the terms, the shop and the people handling your precious vert. A paint job alone that is under 1500 will be an almost certain dissapointment. Make sure that you get numerous quotes in writing if possible. Also review the terms of a potential agreement within each quote such as guarantee for work, associated warranties and rust protection. If they are not willing to back their work don't deal with them no matter how sweet the deal might be. And do t let anyone tell you that no paint and bodywork is backed by shops because that is bullshit. IMO only crooks pull that shit. Anyway best of luck to you and I hop that you make the most infoed the decision. Personally I can't wait to see the end result, make sure you post pictures!!!

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I wouldn't spent $7k on a rusty chassis.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
Blades
Your opinion is to long

proper can be done under $6k .. what did European AutoBody quote you?

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
e30bim
Banned

Why not just shop around for a cabrio with better paint than yours?
e30bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
JMW
Pole busted to boosted.

6-8 grand for good paint.

Official Team BIMMERSPORTAUTOMOTIVE vehicle owner.
support: thanks to. Bimmersport automotive and audio 2 go (ATG motoring)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid
"i saw your car there when i was there a few weeks ago, looks absolutely stunning man. I think i popped a ****ing boner, that paint looks sick
JMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
Manimillion
Photographer

You get what you paid for. Is the only answer to this thread.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
INFAMOU$
Automotive Puppeteer

Send a message via MSN to INFAMOU$
Make sure you consider how important this paint job really is to you! Most average people cannot tell the difference between a 3k job and a 6k job... so if you decide to sell.. is the loss of the 3k worth it to you? In my opinion a 6k paint job is pointless if it's your every day driver.. unless she is a garage queen / show car with no intent to be sold etc etc.. there is no reason to put a perfect paint job on it..
INFAMOU$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMW View Post
6-8 grand for good paint.
even House of Kolor does cost that much and they have great quality paint and products.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #11
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Really, nothing its too much for a good job.

But you can overpay for a shitty job.

Most places try not to back up rust repair so they can cut corners.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

thanks for all the replies guys and to answer a few questions...

Blades, havent gone to european autobody yet.. Custom Coaches and dupont auto collision( high end shop down here in toronto) quoted me 7gs both although what worries me is these guys work on ferrari's, lambos, Range rovers, porsches on a daily basis. Whats the chances they will take the time and do a good job on my car.?

e30bim: I thought about that but then what, transfer everything i have in my vert into the next one?

MiroE36: every shop ive gone to ive explained exactl what I want done and to what standerds. I've told all of them i wont pay until the job is done right. I dont care if they need 2 months on the car i just want it done right. I'll deff post pics when its done!

Mystikal: 18" BBS RS
Old 01-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

Infamous: Well to be completely honest with you I dont know if im going to keep this car forever. i highly doubt it. Thats another part that worries me. Even if I dump 6gs into the paint, ill be lucky if I get 10 for the whole car if i sell it. and theres no point getting a mint paint job for someone else to enjoy! I do love the car but im not sure if im willing to spend that much on paint:S

BMW BMXERim worried about taking my car to a high end shop because for example, talking to the owner of custom coaches he was telling me he charged a guy 4gs to redo a fender on a ferrari (not sure of model) so i start thinking, you charged that guy 4gs for a fender which you could do in a day. how great of a job are you going to do on my car when ill be paying a little bit more then that, and itll take him a month to redo my car?

Jay
Old 01-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #14
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

take a the 6 g's... put it into a G.I.C at your local bank.. take the acrued intrest and put it into the stock market..

then take what ever money your gona spend on the E36 and put it into the G.I.C which will give you higher returns on the intrest... then take THAT intrest and give it to me.. which i will then put in a savings account. and save up enough money for a plane ticket and buy in at the World Series of Poker. main event.. ($10,000)

Ill then play and win 9 million first place ....
i will then give you 6 million dollars.

ill take my 3 million... and buy a shit load of....

Coke, Hookers, Beer, Scotch, Weed, Guns, Hookers, ....

rinse and repeat. intill i have no money left or i die....

or you can spend 6 grand on a paint job.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #15
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdalinda View Post
take a the 6 g's... put it into a G.I.C at your local bank.. take the acrued intrest and put it into the stock market..

then take what ever money your gona spend on the E36 and put it into the G.I.C which will give you higher returns on the intrest... then take THAT intrest and give it to me.. which i will then put in a savings account. and save up enough money for a plane ticket and buy in at the World Series of Poker. main event.. ($10,000)

Ill then play and win 9 million first place ....
i will then give you 6 million dollars.

ill take my 3 million... and buy a shit load of....

Coke, Hookers, Beer, Scotch, Weed, Guns, Hookers, ....

rinse and repeat. intill i have no money left or i die....

or you can spend 6 grand on a paint job.
or how about SHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT AAAAAAPPPP lol

Jay

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: