Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
rokka
1st Gear Newbie

Oakville: before buying inspection

I've found a car, 528 2.8L, everything seems more or less ok, except some noise in front suspension (probably it were stabiliser bars, don't know exactly how they are called). And there is some oil on the right side of the engine. Almost all of 5xx that I've seen have some oil on the engine. Unfortunately, there are no perfect cars in my budget range.

So, I need a mechanic in Oakwille to check everything. The guy who is selling the car works in a local bmw dealership, so the car can be checked at official dealrship... But it will be not completely independent inspection.
If anybody know mechanic in Oakwille (or somewhere nearby, even in Mississauga ) to make "before buying inspection", please recommend!

Thanks,
Roman
rokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
Duskywing
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokka View Post
I've found a car, 528 2.8L, everything seems more or less ok, except some noise in front suspension (probably it were stabiliser bars, don't know exactly how they are called). And there is some oil on the right side of the engine. Almost all of 5xx that I've seen have some oil on the engine. Unfortunately, there are no perfect cars in my budget range.

So, I need a mechanic in Oakwille to check everything. The guy who is selling the car works in a local bmw dealership, so the car can be checked at official dealrship... But it will be not completely independent inspection.
If anybody know mechanic in Oakwille (or somewhere nearby, even in Mississauga ) to make "before buying inspection", please recommend!

Thanks,
Roman
Check Cross Avenue Auto, you can ask even ask the seller to have it safetied and etested there.
Duskywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
rodo
6th Gear Member

call Sam at Cross Ave. Auto

2010 Expedition

Objects in mirror are farther than they appear Only in a BMW

rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
rokka
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo View Post
call Sam at Cross Ave. Auto
Thanks!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
rokka
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskywing View Post
Check Cross Avenue Auto, you can ask even ask the seller to have it safetied and etested there.
Thanks!
The seller said e-test and safety is not a problem...
Old 01-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #6
Duskywing
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokka View Post
Thanks!
The seller said e-test and safety is not a problem...
Yes, but you still need it for registration purposes.
Duskywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:19 AM   #7
rokka
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskywing View Post
Yes, but you still need it for registration purposes.
What does the whole process look like?
He-he, this will be my first car in ON
Old 01-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
OakVille.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

I would do the following, in the order I suggest.

A) Call your insurance company. Make sure you can afford the insurance.
Don't buy a car without doing this first!!!!

B) Drive the car thoroughly. Highway, City. Pull into driveways (normally) to check for any rattles in the front end etc. Drive over railway tracks at normal speeds and listen for weird noises if any. If the car is not insured, I usually don’t bother. Most insurance companies offer 30days dual coverage for free. Watch for guys trying to flip cars.

C) Do a cold start. Ask the seller, that you would like to come back and start the car after it has sat over night. Before starting, make sure the engine is completely cold. Open the hood and check the rad hose, top of engine. Start the car, and make sure the temp is cold. This will give you an good indication on how the car will perform for you.

D) Ask the following questions.
- How long have you had it. Ideally, should be > 1 Year.
- Have there been any accidents you know of?
- Has anything being repainted?
- Do you have Service Records?

E) Always negotiate that the care is sold certified and e-tested. That is, the seller will get the certification done (within 30 days), and a recent e-test is done. Although it is valid for 1 year, I would never except anything over 1 month old etest. O2 Censors, Cats etc could go, and you don't want that mess.

F) After all of this, and you like the car, put a conditional offer, subject to mechanic's approval. If the seller rejects, walk way. Make sure you bill of sale indicates deposit is refundable if the mechanic finds problems that is not already disclosed.

G) After you buy the car, I would get a safety done again. A lot of shops cut corners or miss things. If another mechanic finds something wrong in terms of safety, they guy who issued it must fix it for free. It's worth the time and money.

H) Change air filter, oil change, think about changing spark plugs.

I) Enjoy your new car.
Aasdfasd
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
if has front end suspension noises & it passes safety? you better check that front end noise to be sure it's not safety related.

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
damameke
6th Gear Member

Safety inspection in Ontario is a joke...with balding tire(to a certain depth),, it will still pass inspection.

Use your own mechanic to inspect the major components.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #12
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

^ No, it needs to be 2/32's depth. No exceptions.
Some mechanics pass it.. some won't.

4/32 is what most people recommend. That is why it's always good to get a second safety by your own mechanic. Worth the extra $50.00.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
328i Cab
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga View Post
I would do the following, in the order I suggest.

G) After you buy the car, I would get a safety done again. A lot of shops cut corners or miss things. If another mechanic finds something wrong in terms of safety, they guy who issued it must fix it for free. It's worth the time and money.

Aasdfasd
I may be mistaken but I don't believe the guy who issues the safety must fix any undisclosed damage for free. In theory, something could be damaged after the inspection, it even says on the safety certificate that it does not warrant the condition of the vehicle or something, that it is just supposed to be an inspection at a specific time.

It is a good idea to get another independent check done to make sure the car is 100% but I think you would have a very hard time getting a mechanic to fix things for free. Some items are also a 'judgment' item and some mechanics do try to pad bills by making you do things that don't really need to be done (not pointing fingers at all, it does happen tho).

Cross Avenue is great, never dealt with them personally but everyone I talk to says they're top notch and there are always tons of BMWs parked out front 'in line'.

PM me for your sidewinder (laser cut) key blank and cutting needs. Have OEM pre-ews keys and replacement shells.
328i Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #14
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i Cab View Post
I may be mistaken but I don't believe the guy who issues the safety must fix any undisclosed damage for free. In theory, something could be damaged after the inspection, it even says on the safety certificate that it does not warrant the condition of the vehicle or something, that it is just supposed to be an inspection at a specific time.

It is a good idea to get another independent check done to make sure the car is 100% but I think you would have a very hard time getting a mechanic to fix things for free. Some items are also a 'judgment' item and some mechanics do try to pad bills by making you do things that don't really need to be done (not pointing fingers at all, it does happen tho).

Cross Avenue is great, never dealt with them personally but everyone I talk to says they're top notch and there are always tons of BMWs parked out front 'in line'.
Actually, if a car "Passes" Safety, it should pass "Safety" at another shop.

If there is an issue, especially right after the first safety, the shop will loose it's license for giving a false safety. It has to be fixed.

All you have to do is report it to the ministry, that Shop X issued a safety, when it should not have.

For example, if one of the ball joints are gone, which is a safety item, and Shop X issues a safety certificate.

Shop Y does a check the next day or two and finds the faulty ball joint, Shop X could be in trouble for it for writing the safety certificate. If you call Shop X up, they will fix it; they should. Just mention, “You issued a fake safety, I’m calling the Ministry”.

I’ve had to do this a couple of times.

My mechanics are very strict when it comes to this. It has to pass legitimately.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #15
328i Cab
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga View Post
Actually, if a car "Passes" Safety, it should pass "Safety" at another shop.

If there is an issue, especially right after the first safety, the shop will loose it's license for giving a false safety. It has to be fixed.

All you have to do is report it to the ministry, that Shop X issued a safety, when it should not have.

For example, if one of the ball joints are gone, which is a safety item, and Shop X issues a safety certificate.

Shop Y does a check the next day or two and finds the faulty ball joint, Shop X could be in trouble for it for writing the safety certificate. If you call Shop X up, they will fix it; they should. Just mention, “You issued a fake safety, I’m calling the Ministry”.

I’ve had to do this a couple of times.

My mechanics are very strict when it comes to this. It has to pass legitimately.

I fully agree with you, you can whistleblow on a shop that writes a fraudulent safety but you can't get them to 'fix stuff for free' (or i would be VERY surprised for a shop to do that).

PM me for your sidewinder (laser cut) key blank and cutting needs. Have OEM pre-ews keys and replacement shells.
328i Cab is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: