Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > X series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #16
Gamite

and to prove to Blades that American built BMW's aren't affected in the quality department, here's the Z4 which also is built in the same plant that the X5 is built.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z4.jpg (269.8 KB, 163 views)

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #17
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

I work for Magna, and we import certain disk brakes form Germany, and E-brake cables from China. They go on a GM vehicle. So i would not be suprised if bmw parts are imported. Like Gamite said the standard plays a cruical part in automitve industry. All plants MUST be ISO and TS certified otherwise you will not get the business. All suppliers to BMW MUST follow BMWs building standarts and testing(FMEA, PPAP, etc) The metal composition must be what even bmw requests. Quality inspection must be the same as in germany.

As for the X5... i was thinking of trading my 540i. So i took an X5 for a test ride, and man what a heavy ride compared to the E39 540i. Same engine size 4.4L but one will work harder LOL!
Dado 540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #18
Blades
Your opinion is to long

I dont believe the Z4 was made in north america .. to my understanding it was just the SUV's and I heard bad things about the X5 (comparing to the other BMW's that are made in germany its lacking in reliability) which shows in the consumer reports.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #19
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

what is your definition of fairly good reliability ratings? CR put black dots for most of the years for the 4.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite View Post
X5's have fairly good reliability ratings according to Consumer Reports. We have the 3.0, and the only problems we experience were minor problems with window calibration and one with the steering wheel switches.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #20
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
I dont believe the Z4 was made in north america .. to my understanding it was just the SUV's and I heard bad things about the X5 (comparing to the other BMW's that are made in germany its lacking in reliability) which shows in the consumer reports.
Z4 is also built in spartanburg North Carolina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Z4

http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/08/31/th...tanburg-plant/

Actually the X3 isn't built in the US, it's built in Austria. Only X5, X6 and Z4 are built in Spartanburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTO View Post
what is your definition of fairly good reliability ratings? CR put black dots for most of the years for the 4.4.
Read post #14

Old 01-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #21
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite View Post
Z4 is also built in spartanburg North Carolina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Z4

http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/08/31/th...tanburg-plant/

Actually the X3 isn't built in the US, it's built in Austria. Only X5, X6 and Z4 are built in Spartanburg.
you should quote wikipedia unless its simple information as it can be inaccurate. Anyone can write or add to wiki.

As for the X3 .. if its not made in the US no wonder its getting a better rating then X5. It just proving my point a little more.

Build the same car in China, America, or Europe your going to get different results and thats the point im trying to make.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #22
TNation
Banned

My Dad works for the company that does the food servicing for the Spartanburg, North Carolina BMW plant. They made the Z4 at the Spartanburg plant until 2008.
See here: http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/08/31/th...tanburg-plant/
And the Z4 was recommended. My parents had an 03 X5 3.0 Prem. + Sport packages, NO PROBLEMS whatsoever, an aux fan died and that was it. They put 34xxxkm in one year on it, no issues at all, only spent $400 on maintainence on it besides three oil changes ($120 a change). Great SUV.
they're looking to buy an 05 or 06 now.. I do have a question, why is the Audio system rated terribly? It was absolutely amazing in their 3.0 and we never had any issues.. that makes no sense. Does it fail lots?
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #23
Gamite

Quote:
Build the same car in China, America, or Europe your going to get different results and thats the point im trying to make.
This is true, but you should not completely rule out the car base solely on the fact that it was built in the states. Generalization is never a good thing.

Quote:
you should quote wikipedia unless its simple information as it can be inaccurate. Anyone can write or add to wiki.
I know wiki is not 100% accurate, which is why I put two links to two different sites.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #24
E36White
3rd Gear Member

so between a 4.4/4.8 and a 3.0 which is more reliable? performance and mpg aside.

im looking into an x5 come spring/summer and i cant make up my mind! they seem to go for around the same price so dont mind that either.

or a x3 3.0?

which has the least (to none) engine/tranny/suspension issues? this might be going overseas so i'd like to minimize dealership visits lol
E36White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #25
tominizer
6th Gear Member

We have an '02 X5 3.0i. It's served us very well. It's also had some issues that came forth after the waranttee expired........... like the dreaded oil seperator valve/hydrolock and a leaking power steering rack. But for the most part, it's been a champ. I've pulled a car back on a trailer with it from the USA without any issues, loaded it to the titties to go camping, hauled sh-t-loads of building supplies, etc, etc. It's been good to us. Yeah, the 3.0i doesn't haul azz like the bigger brothers, but it does very nicely.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #26
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
We have an '02 X5 3.0i. It's served us very well. It's also had some issues that came forth after the waranttee expired........... like the dreaded oil seperator valve/hydrolock and a leaking power steering rack. But for the most part, it's been a champ. I've pulled a car back on a trailer with it from the USA without any issues, loaded it to the titties to go camping, hauled sh-t-loads of building supplies, etc, etc. It's been good to us. Yeah, the 3.0i doesn't haul azz like the bigger brothers, but it does very nicely.
they're great, hey.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #27
E36White
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
I see..well there wont be any hauling where it's going ..no highways either..daily driving within city limits that why i'm leaning more towards the 3.0 - problem is they look so skinny compared to the 4.4i duno why .. aside from the wheels/tires do they have different bumpers front and back?

i read around and the 4.4i seems to have more issues than the 3.0 - keep in mind im considering a 2005-2006 model.

ur feedback is appreciated though..thanks
E36White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #28
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36White View Post
I see..well there wont be any hauling where it's going ..no highways either..daily driving within city limits that why i'm leaning more towards the 3.0 - problem is they look so skinny compared to the 4.4i duno why .. aside from the wheels/tires do they have different bumpers front and back?

i read around and the 4.4i seems to have more issues than the 3.0 - keep in mind im considering a 2005-2006 model.

ur feedback is appreciated though..thanks
my parents are looking at the same one, 05-06 X5. Go for the 3.0 and get the Premium and sport package. Looks great, and is much more reliable.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #29
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

One less thing to worry about on the 3.0 is no self-leveling rear suspenion, just regular shocks, which was a problem on the bigger brothers.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #30
damameke
6th Gear Member

"leaking power steering rack"

2 friends of mine, OWNED x5, a 2002 and 2003 and both has that same issue and the steering column vibrates.

Its so ironic that I was asking a lady(stranger) today in a parking lot about her x5 and she told me.. no problem at all.. its a 2004.. so go figure...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: