Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > BMW News
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Gamite

Latest images of the X1

The next couple of years will be very busy for BMW as it launches a handful of new models including new versions of current top sellers and some models weve never seen before. The new X1, revealed in these new computer generated renderings and spy shots taken last year, falls into the latter category, taking the carmaker into the compact SUV market currently dominated by the likes of the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V.

The newest rendering shows the BMW designers will stick closely to the lines of the Concept X1 showcased at October's Paris Motor Show.

The most recent set of spy images, meanwhile, thoroughly reveal the upcoming X1 - the latest prototypes shedding the heavy camo gear seen on previous test cars in favor of less inhibiting material. We also get a chance to look inside the interior for the first time. The automatic transmission and predominant 'mph' markings on the speedometer suggest this is likely a U.S. spec car being tested. As the renderings show, the X1 will also share a bit of the X6 crossover's updated styling, though avoids the awkward stance and front end of the larger vehicle.

The new X1s running gear is based on the 1-series compact car but its ride height will be taller and BMWs X-drive AWD system will also feature.

Engine options will range from a 145hp (108kW) 1.8L four-cylinder petrol engine to a range-topping 3L diesel. Transmissions will include a conventional six-speed manual as well an optional six-speed self shifter. Expect to see elements from the CS concept car make it onto the new X1 including an enlarged grille, wrap around headlights and an aggressive bumper.

Production is expected to top the 100,000 mark and will start at a BMW plant in Leipzig by the middle of next year. The X1 will be priced higher than the 1-series, likely starting close to the $30,000 mark. Much of the cars components will also be shared with an upcoming SUV model from Mini to save on development costs, although the BMW model is expected to be significantly larger than the Mini.

Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/spy-sh...mw-x1-suv.html

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
europrince
6th Gear Member

The pic makes it look larger than it probably is, almost X3ish. I don't see the point of this vehicle. Most SUV owners buy for offroad use, but for space. BMW SUVs aren't made for offroad use anyway. The X5 has little storage space, the X3 less. What's the point of the X1. I'm sure the back seat will be cramped too. Might as well buy the 3 touring...or maybe BMW should offer the 1 series hatch in Canada.

Last edited by europrince; 01-07-2009 at 02:28 PM.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Jattdee328
5th Gear Member

My wife wants one!

HaVaaa vich kadey nee chiraag jug de...Juch de PUNJABI nahiyoon binna PUG de
Jattdee328 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

can't judge till i see it in person... the x3 imho was a fail, i hope this one does better

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince View Post
The pic makes it look larger than it probably is, almost X3ish. I don't see the point of this vehicle. Most SUV owners buy for offroad use, but for space. BMW SUVs aren't made for offroad use anyway. The X5 has little storage space, the X3 less. What's the point of the X1. I'm sure the back seat will be cramped too. Might as well buy the 3 touring...or maybe BMW should offer the 1 series hatch in Canada.
Actually, MOST SUV owners buy them so that they can be higher up, and use it mostly for on road travel. Seldom do they use it for offroad use. BMW SUV's are made for what most people use them for, on the road. The point of the X1 is for people who want a compact, more fuel efficent SUV like the RAV-4 and CRV.

It makes much more sense to buy a touring, but the north american mind set is that SUV's are cooler than tourings or wagons. BMW is just playing into the market, which as a car company, they should be doing.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
e30mpowerd
3rd Gear Member

wait tell u c the hamman kit on it or with m engine stuning
Old 01-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Gotta love the things they car them like cross overs and compact SUV's they just replace the staionwagons, no one wants to drive a stationwagon, that wouldn't be cool even for a hot soccer mom.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
Fel
Not Banned

^^ haha, I was having this conversation with someone the other day.... I hate all these crossover type namings, no matter what you want to call them. As far as I'm concerned, you have: car, truck, van, SUV. Everything should fit in one of those categories.

X1 seems like a pointless expansion of the lineup, but like Gamite mentioned, it's just playing the market. People seem to be too embarrassed to drive a station wagon or a minivan, so they need something like this to get their jollies off. Can't blame BMW for trying to cash in on people's insecurities, but it's still annoying...
Old 01-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
sski
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure where this fits either. I kinda thought the X3 was in the CR-V, RAV4 class???.

Not sure there's room for X1, X3 and X5 ???
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

When I was a little boy, I was playing with a kinder surprise egg. The suprise inside was a little toy car/suv. As a child who didn't know better, I put the little toy in my mouth and accidentally swallowed it. Later the next day I went to poopy, after I was done, I looked in the bowl, and what had come out of my bum was the little toy car from the night before, covered in poopy, which looked strangely like this BMW's X1. I wonder if instead of "God watching you when you are in the bathroom", it is in fact "BMW designers watching you when you are in the bathroom"?

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #11
Fel
Not Banned

^^^ oh wow dude. hahahaha
Old 01-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
when i was a little boy, i was playing with a kinder surprise egg. The suprise inside was a little toy car/suv. As a child who didn't know better, i put the little toy in my mouth and accidentally swallowed it. Later the next day i went to poopy, after i was done, i looked in the bowl, and what had come out of my bum was the little toy car from the night before, covered in poopy, which looked strangely like this bmw's x1. I wonder if instead of "god watching you when you are in the bathroom", it is in fact "bmw designers watching you when you are in the bathroom"?
lmfao!!
AceOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #13
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

1 word "Fugly"
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #14
daytona
6th Gear Member

looks better than a X3....

Display Modes Rate This Thread