Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

New Bike For 2009

Bought myself a nice Christmas present...
2008 Trek Fuel EX8
The Specs
Frame Set - Alpha Red Aluminum w/R1i Trail Tuned Suspension, ABP pivot, Full Floater, Aluminum EVO Link, Hi/Lo chainstays, oversized sealed bearings, 120mm rear wheel travel
Fork - Fox Float 130 RL w/air pressure, rebound, lockout, alloy steerer, 130mm
Shock - Fox Float RP2 w/ Pro Pedal, rebound, custom tuned
Size - 19.5in
Color - Satin Khaki Green/White
Wheelset - Bontrager Race
Tires - Bontrager Jones XR, 26x2.2/2.25"
Stem - Bontrager Race, 7 degree, 31.8mm
Bar - Bontrager Race, 40mm rise, 31.8mm
Post - Bontrager Race
Saddle - Bontrager Race
Headset - Aheadset w/cartridge bearings, sealed, alloy
BrakeSet - Avid Juicy 5, hydraulic disc; 185mm rotors
Crankset - Shimano Deore LX 44/32/22
Pedals - Shimano M520, clipless
Front Derailleur - Shimano Deore LX
Rear Derailleur - Shimano Deore XT "Shadow"
Shifters - Shimano Deore LX, 9 speed

Old 01-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
5thseries
biggerthen3

Nice bike

How does it handle in the snow
5thseries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
mudmojo
2nd Gear Member

Congrats!

They make Float 130's in 2009? OMG, I couldn't decide between a Float 120 and 140 for my bike and settled on a 140.

Where do you ride?

E39 M5
mudmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thseries View Post
Nice bike

How does it handle in the snow
Haha, I'm not gonna be riding this bike in the snow. Keeping it stored till spring when riding season starts.

I have other cheaper bikes for goofing around in the snow with
Old 01-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Kewl bike and disk brakes.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmojo View Post
Congrats!

They make Float 130's in 2009? OMG, I couldn't decide between a Float 120 and 140 for my bike and settled on a 140.

Where do you ride?
This is an '08 bike. I don't know if Fox changed their line-up for 2009 but even thou my fork is spec'ed at 130mm it can be rebuilt to different sizes. I think that all Fox Float forks are 140mm forks so I don't know why Trek lists it as 130mm (maybe they include a a sag value?). I know that the fork can be rebuilt to 120mm and I think 100mm as well. 140mm is good for a mix between xc and all mountain, 100mm would be optimal for pure xc. Thats why the TALAS forks are sweet you can adjust from 140mm to 120mm to 100mm just by turning a dial.

I typically ride around Guelph and the surrounding areas. I didn't do any MTB riding last season, only road riding. I am pumped to get back into some trails in '09

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 01-02-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
mudmojo
2nd Gear Member

Yeah man, I ride at Kelso quite a bit and did Hilton Falls and some other place around Guelph too this past summer. Excellent riding on the ridge.

Hilton Falls is a real nut buster.

Yeah the Float can be shimmed and each of those lil plastic shim stacks is 1cm in height but I thought 130 was the actual value, not the made to value.

I would have went Talas but ended up going Float RLC140 on my recent AM. Can't go Fox adjustable after riding my buddy's awesome (being cheaper helps too) Pike U-Turn coil on his Reign.

E39 M5
Old 01-03-2009, 12:40 AM   #8
takeshi
3rd Gear Member

Oh good a biker. Love the mountain bike, was drooling over it for a while. Could you help a newbie out? I don't know anyone knowledgeable in this area...

-Any good trails to recommend in GTA? The only places I've been is construction sites, and in the trees @ G.Ross park. Not really a trail, but fun to ride.
-What brands would you recommend for me? I'm not an amateur, but my budget is only around 400ish. I need the wheel(s) to be detachable so I can stuff them in my trunk. I don't like folding the seats down (break in!!).
-where did you get it? where is a good place for purchasing these bikes?

Thanks man. Trying to do a bit more exercise for the new year.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:56 AM   #9
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

This is my new "bike" for 09, and a LOT of fun in the snow!!! lol

On topic tho...Great bike, looks light as hell...And those disc brakes must do a good job!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture.jpg (122.7 KB, 211 views)
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!

Last edited by Bimmer Heaven; 01-03-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Bimmer Heaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #10
mudmojo
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Oh good a biker. Love the mountain bike, was drooling over it for a while. Could you help a newbie out? I don't know anyone knowledgeable in this area...

-Any good trails to recommend in GTA? The only places I've been is construction sites, and in the trees @ G.Ross park. Not really a trail, but fun to ride.
-What brands would you recommend for me? I'm not an amateur, but my budget is only around 400ish. I need the wheel(s) to be detachable so I can stuff them in my trunk. I don't like folding the seats down (break in!!).

You live in Hamilton? Do you know the Waterdown area? It's not for the faint. I have ridden some interesting trails and Waterdown was by far the most physically demanding because the climbs just beat you down. There were trails that were so steep, I could not walk up them in cleats withOUT the bike when it was wet.

My buddy bought this Ontario Trail Guide book and we've used it to good effect. I'm sure there are a ton of those types of books anyway with maybe some online resources.

No offence but $400 is going to get you nothing of worth. IMO you have to move up to at least $1200 to get something trail worthy and that won't break and get you maimed. Even a used 3-4 year old mountain bike with trail worthy parts will still cost $600 plus.

Don't know any bike shops in Hamilton sorry.

E39 M5
Old 01-03-2009, 02:02 AM   #11
PinkieMoscow
Jumped up G'd up.

mmmm fox float. I'm riding my ghetto 05 marzocchi z1.3 free ride 3. I'm jealous. =(. If I had the money I'd talas it up in 06-07 brown.

Last edited by PinkieMoscow; 01-03-2009 at 02:16 AM.
PinkieMoscow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:35 AM   #12
rendered
6th Gear Member

Nice! very nice! Congrats on the beautiful new full suspension! Nice to see other cyclists on Max! I'm currently looking for a great deal on a Time or Look road bike. I'd love to get back into road cycling.

You'll love the Fox fork! I've been using a 80mm Fox F80 RL for years now and its been awesome for xc racing, and light free ride. Though i don't take anything huge on my full carbon fiber Scott race bike. I built an Intense Cycles frame up years back for freeride, and 24 hour endurance races, and I found I was hitting drops I shouldn't of been doing in the first place, one day i hit this drop, and didn't see the huge tree i was headed for (15 feet in the air), and didn't think i would carry that much momemtum; basically overshot, and went smack dab right into the big tree. I was okay in the end, broke some carbon parts, and decided i would stick to xc racing and riding from then on. LOL

Max mountain bike meet?

rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:48 AM   #13
rendered
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmojo View Post
You live in Hamilton? Do you know the Waterdown area? It's not for the faint. I have ridden some interesting trails and Waterdown was by far the most physically demanding because the climbs just beat you down. There were trails that were so steep, I could not walk up them in cleats withOUT the bike when it was wet.

My buddy bought this Ontario Trail Guide book and we've used it to good effect. I'm sure there are a ton of those types of books anyway with maybe some online resources.

No offence but $400 is going to get you nothing of worth. IMO you have to move up to at least $1200 to get something trail worthy and that won't break and get you maimed. Even a used 3-4 year old mountain bike with trail worthy parts will still cost $600 plus.

Don't know any bike shops in Hamilton sorry.
Hahaha, I'll show you some much tougher trails. Waterdowns great for newbies and intermediates. I've been riding waterdown, hilton falls, racing at kelso, hardwood, mansfield, and albion for 16 years + and haven't experienced anything demanding at any of these locations. There are a few hidden gem trails around ontario, that would make most Pro's go WOW.

I beg to differ on the starter bike. He can spend $400-700 and get a great starter bike with decent aluminum frame, reliable components, disc brakes, okay fork, and low end wheels for that range. I think Silent sports has some great Norco's on sale now for $499 with all of the above.

If you want used, you can find some nice buys but you need to know your bikes and components well before you go out and buy a used bike. I wouldn't suggest it. Most people ask too much for used bikes anyways.

A long time ago, when I was sponsered/racing and riding everyday, i was working at cyclepath and running our weekly race series for the surrounding area. Very grass roots feel, we built some amazing trails just north of Newmarket. I mean, incredible trails. I wonder if they are still around?

Max mountain bike meet 2009? lets do it.
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendered View Post

Wow. That bike looks light as hell. You must be able to tear up xc trails with that!

I don't even know of any shops in my area that sell Time or Look road bikes.
In Guelph we only got Trek, Specialized, and Giant road bikes pretty much. There is a nice little shop in Waterloo that sells only BMC bikes which are all sexy and all top end bikes.
Stuff like this...

Old 01-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post

I'm not familiar with any stores in the GTA but check out any of these stores http://www.tbn.ca/retailer/rtdb

A good way to get a good bike for cheap is to see if bike stores are selling any of their demo bikes which customers have ridden to test out the bike. They usually sell them for half price cash and they will give you the bike all tuned up and with a warranty as well. I don't really know any of the bikes in that price range. Devinci Cameleon 1 maybe? It should have everything you are looking for http://www.silentsports.com/store/pr...ameleon-1-XXS/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: