Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #61
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Take it to a mechanic and get a Pre-purchase inspection done on it. The 100$ or so it will cost you may pay off in the long run, especially considering you say you can't do the work by yourself.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #62
BMWnoob
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Take it to a mechanic and get a Pre-purchase inspection done on it. The 100$ or so it will cost you may pay off in the long run, especially considering you say you can't do the work by yourself.
after i take an initial look definietly do the ppi... anybody know where to do it in kitchener?
BMWnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #63
BMWnoob
2nd Gear Member

well i went today and it was a big waste of time..

i learned a lot about car deals today lol..

took lots of pics.. i'll provide a link if anyone wants to check it out..

when i showed up... the car was COVERED in snow.. like 1 foot of snow.. it's been parked outside for about 2 months with this owner and supposedly 3 months with the previous owner..

the KM's were 191 and not 160, the car was repainting which is why it was so shiny...

he did give me the details from princess auto some guy names Hans gave him a full list of when needed to be done... (pretty much what he told me)

anyway after we spent 10 mins getting off the snow.. he didn't have the keys and had to go get them...

when he got back the car wouldn't start... sounded like it wouldn't even turn..so we hooked a external booster battery up to it but still nothing..

just a long whine noise... no "clicking" and "turning" if that's what it's called... and the wipers went crazy and just kept going but wouldn't turn off lol...
Old 01-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #64
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Doesn't sound he was too motivated to sell it if the snow wasn't even cleared off...

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #65
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Ya dude doesn't value your time, don't give him your money.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #66
BMWnoob
2nd Gear Member

here's about 40 pics.. i had nothing else to do when waiting for him to get the keys lol

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/bm...scn2753rx3.jpg
Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #67
stan man
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnoob View Post
well i went today and it was a big waste of time..

Well that's a bummer

You gotta keep searching I guess. Like somebody said here, don't rush.

You probably learned in the process too, now you know what to watch out for for your next one.
stan man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #68
BMWnoob
2nd Gear Member

guys... just a quick question.. i see a lot of e36's for sale and in most cases the prices are more or less the same or cheaper...

is it just because those cars are move available then the older e30's?
i'm thinking of expanding my search into the 92-98 range
Old 01-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #69
stan man
2nd Gear Member

Not a bad idea.

Newer, reliable, less for you to fix (well depends on the condition)

+ I remember you wanted a convertible (I think), and e36 verts look good in my opinion
stan man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #70
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
guys... just a quick question.. i see a lot of e36's for sale and in most cases the prices are more or less the same or cheaper...

is it just because those cars are move available then the older e30's?
i'm thinking of expanding my search into the 92-98 range
your opening a old debate between the 2 cars, I would say they had better (motor technology has always advanced)motors and thats about it. The E36 weighed more, has a weaker frame design(they couldn't make a vert till 94 or 95 and had to keep making the E30vert), and mostly a similar suspension.

The major deciding factor between the two cars when buying one is...do you like round or square???

Last edited by richie_s999; 01-21-2009 at 10:26 AM.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #71
stan man
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
The major deciding factor between the two cars when buying one is...do you like round or square???
TRUE, that's why I got mine
Old 01-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #72
BMWnoob
2nd Gear Member

anybody got thoughts in this guy?

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...QAdIdZ77948408
Old 01-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #73
njansenv
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
your opening a old debate between the 2 cars, I would say they had better (motor technology has always advanced)motors and thats about it. The E36 weighed more, has a weaker frame design(they couldn't make a vert till 94 or 95 and had to keep making the E30vert), and mostly a similar suspension.

The e36 has a significantly more advanced rear suspension....

I'm not sure I could in good concience recommend any older BMW to someone who will be paying to have the work done. I've never owned a car that cost only $500/annum in maintenance, and that includes a 2003 Protege I bought with 90k. And that's doing the work myself. (I track all the maintenance on my cars, the 325e has been cheaper to run than the Protege so far, but has needed a lot of little things that were cheap to do myself, but $$$ to have a mechanic do)

Nathan

Gone: '99 M3 vert, '98 M3 sedan, '91 E30, '89 E30, '87 E30, '91 Euro M5, '93 6-speed Corvette, STI v8 swapped '98 Impreza, '73 2002, 2004 325iT
njansenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #74
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njansenv View Post
The e36 has a significantly more advanced rear suspension....

I'm not sure I could in good concience recommend any older BMW to someone who will be paying to have the work done. I've never owned a car that cost only $500/annum in maintenance, and that includes a 2003 Protege I bought with 90k. And that's doing the work myself. (I track all the maintenance on my cars, the 325e has been cheaper to run than the Protege so far, but has needed a lot of little things that were cheap to do myself, but $$$ to have a mechanic do)

Nathan
The E36 rear suspension used half of its parts from the E30, so yesthe are similar and quite a common swap to the E30.

I did not recomend an older car to someone, I gave him deciding points to help decide, my concience is clear.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #75
stan man
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Looks alright. It's winter now though, so you gotta ask where is the car now?
If it's sitting in a pile of snow, like the one you cheked out before, well thats no good.

Some negatives: chrome bumpers (diving boards) - depends on the personal preference though. Price is a bit high for the kilometers, but it looks mint, so maybe it was maintained properly. Auto trans + high milage = sketchy.

Some positives: no e-test required - less problems. In my opinion convertible and automatic go together nicely.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: