Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
uberformance
2nd Gear Member

High quality Trusted transmission shop?

Well, looks like I am about to face a transmission failure, that said I was wondering if any knows of a High quality and trusted transmission shop in the area.

Thanks
-Matthew
uberformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member

just a suggestion and I know for my car if I were to buy a used tranny and swap it the costs would be much lower then say for a rebuild...witch I hear can run in the thousands... maybe source out a used one on ebay or something and pay for labour ... good luck!

Last edited by ecuconnection; 01-07-2009 at 04:32 PM.
ecuconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member

B & N Transmission ( I think they work with BMW)

Write a review
1086 Gladstone Avenue
Ottawa, ON K1Y 3G9

(613) 729-6000‎
bnn-transmission.com
ecuconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsBmr View Post
just a suggestion and I know for my car if I were to buy a used tranny and swap it the costs would be much lower then say for a rebuild...witch I hear can run in the thousands... maybe source out a used one on ebay or something and pay for labour ... good luck!
+1
Tranny failures are not common for our cars (unless an auto) and are a dime a dozen.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
uberformance
2nd Gear Member

I should point out this is an E39 540 with the 5 speed automatic. Sadly, for this model transmission failures are rather common and rebuild cost is typically half the cost of a replacement unit.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
chromius
6th Gear Member

^^How much are you looking to spend? Union Auto has a used one, but will probably be around $2k. Might be cheaper than a rebuild though.

How do you know it's failed? I've heard of Auto trans failures, but I wouldn't exactly call it a common failure item. The most common cause of failures I've seen have to do with either not changing the fluid (lifetime fill B.S), or people doing a flush that blocks and messes up the hydraulic passages.

One other option might be to make the switch to a proper 6 speed manual
Old 01-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
uberformance
2nd Gear Member

I do not have confirmation of a failure yet, however given the symptoms (very expensive noise coming from the area, as well as significant chugging in reverse and poor engagement) I would assume there is at least something wrong with the trans. It is ture, simply look at the number of class action suites, that on the e39, auto trans failures are more common (not to say they are as common as MAF failures or anything like that) than many would think, especially with the 5speed ZF box.

Once I know the extent of the problem ill be better able to make a decision regard rebuild / replacement. Honestly though the money isent so much of an issue (if I can be patient that is) as my wanting to have it fixed properly and possible upgraded!

To be perfectly honest a 6-speed manual swap does not appeal to me, for this car, I am researching with a couple of my very mechanically minded friends the possibility of swapping in that slick new 6speed auto ZF 6HP28 box used in the E60 (along with electronics and so on). I guess well just have to see how things turn out.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Wow. I didn't know autos were so troublesome. I've even been considering an E39 with an automatic...not so much anymore.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
uberformance
2nd Gear Member

Carjoe,

While I am not enjoying this issue, in no way would I give up my e39 over it. Truthfully all cars have issues at some point... unless they are built by lexus lol. Really I have had 150,000 essentially trouble free miles on a highly modified car that has seen multiple track days and autocross events. So if under these conditions I have to deal with a trans issue that costs be big money to fix, ill be happy to pay because I know ill get another 150k of fantastic driving experience.

All cars have issues, if you searching for one that doesn't you will have a long search ahead of you, and most likely what you will find will merely be a transportation appliance (honda and the such.) BMW in general has pretty lame reliability, but the driving experience is so good none of that matters. Repair costs are the price of admission, take a deep breath and pay then enjoy the show.

-Uberformance
Old 01-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #10
carjoe
6th Gear Member

I realize not all cars are stupid reliable, I've yet to deal with a blown tranny. Motors yes, tranny not so much. Blown drivetrains scare me...I think you should post pics and a list of mods.

I'm still on the fence as to what I'll be getting this summer. I long for an E39 in hopes that I can fit 3 car seats wide but realistically, It'll be an SUV with 3 rows or another minivan.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #11
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberformance View Post
I do not have confirmation of a failure yet, however given the symptoms (very expensive noise coming from the area, as well as significant chugging in reverse and poor engagement) I would assume there is at least something wrong with the trans. It is ture, simply look at the number of class action suites, that on the e39, auto trans failures are more common (not to say they are as common as MAF failures or anything like that) than many would think, especially with the 5speed ZF box.

Once I know the extent of the problem ill be better able to make a decision regard rebuild / replacement. Honestly though the money isent so much of an issue (if I can be patient that is) as my wanting to have it fixed properly and possible upgraded!

To be perfectly honest a 6-speed manual swap does not appeal to me, for this car, I am researching with a couple of my very mechanically minded friends the possibility of swapping in that slick new 6speed auto ZF 6HP28 box used in the E60 (along with electronics and so on). I guess well just have to see how things turn out.
Hmmm, I haven't heard of any law suits regarding e39 trans failures. I don't really look into auto transmission issues too much though, as I don't have one. But I still don't think it's really that common an issue. Maybe my definition of common and yours are different though
Old 01-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
BMWdude
1st Gear Newbie

+1 on B & N Transmission

I've had my old e36 auto serviced there, top notch quality and service. You come in and go for a drive with one of the techs and explain what the problem is. Although all I needed was tranny fluid to be topped up, since it was slipping.

04 330ci 6-speed
'97 328i on Hamann HM2 18s - sold
'97 328i Sport - 5spd - sold
BMWdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #13
bimmerjoe
Yagerbombs/skanks

if you want shoot me a pm. my father owns a transmission shop
Old 01-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #14
uberformance
2nd Gear Member

Carjoe, Heres a link to my intro forum with lost of pics and mod list http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114589
Old 01-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #15
uberformance
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
Hmmm, I haven't heard of any law suits regarding e39 trans failures. I don't really look into auto transmission issues too much though, as I don't have one. But I still don't think it's really that common an issue. Maybe my definition of common and yours are different though
Search on ZF 5HP30

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc...p/t-96966.html
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=963204
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=328484
http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/bmw...5535909&page=1
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/217142
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=881230

This is the same ZF Unit
http://www.noreverse.org/complaints.html
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...bmw_trans.html

Need I continue? The problem is typically due to poor design of the valve body, a point which was confirmed to my by fellow board member Dado 540.

Contact me: mmarini@connect.carleton.ca

apparently too many mods to list in a sig!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: