Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-23-2008, 03:14 AM   #46
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_POWER View Post
I loved every single auto/SMG car i driven AMG/M. I preffer auto trans to a manual for everyday driving.

Flame me
Well no amg has been made with a manual for a loooooooooooooooooong time. So you cant really compare!

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:37 AM   #47
coolhand
Banned

When you can't control if ur automatic is going to upshift as perciely as you can a manual transimission when ur trying to do that perfect turn, you need to be able to control how the vehacle is apexing a turn. Also at times when split seconds matter it is sometimes more beneficial to put ur car in neutral(clutch) and let it roll out of a skid instead of letting off the gas as that will take alittle bit longer for the vehecle to react.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
I can not comprehend why anyone would ever want to drive an automatric let alone one as a daily driver. And don't get me started on seeing jerks buying performance cars with an autoshifter ( paddle shifters included)
Because most people arnt in a race and do other things while driving. Also, as you may have noticed here in the GTA most of our roads are straight with traffic lights and not turns on the side of a mountain.
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:16 AM   #48
magnus
6th Gear Member

Lets face it. Autos are very advanced these days and are getting better and better. But the reason people buy them is cause they are lazy and cant drive as good as some. I can change gear without a clutch on certain cars simply by matching the revs by ear.
I doubt any of the newer drivers can do that especially the ones driving autos.
On top of that and as mentioned before prediction mode is not available on any car, therefore manuals on the hands of skilled drivers will be more efficient, more economic and more performance focused with the added bonus of making the driver feel more in control. Its simple as that!!!!
Autos are for congested cities and lazy drivers. Nothing else.

Lo they do call to me
Old 12-23-2008, 05:47 AM   #49
coolhand
Banned

^ I disagree, I think in most cases people just dont wanna be bothered. For people who arnt car enthousiest, why would they want to to more work as oposed to less work?

Also some cars don't come with a manual option or viseversa.

Say you had to spend 2+ hours in ur car everyday. It can get very bothersome very fast.

It's kindda like saying, people drive and don't walk/take transit because they are lazy.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #50
328is
tire don't like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
I disagree, I think in most cases people just dont wanna be bothered. For people who arnt car enthousiest, why would they want to to more work as oposed to less work?
That's exactly the definition of been lazy !
Old 12-23-2008, 07:10 AM   #51
coolhand
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328is View Post
That's exactly the definition of been lazy !
Then that makes everyone who drives lazy because they can't be bothered to take public transit. Sure its a bit faster to take car but so is the ability to multitask when driving automatic.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #52
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
Then that makes everyone who drives lazy because they can't be bothered to take public transit. Sure its a bit faster to take car but so is the ability to multitask when driving automatic.
I dont think taking the public transport has nothing to do with this. We are comparing auto with manual. And the reason they choose auto is cause people are getting lazier. The reasons why they are getting lazy is no concern!
You have to admit i am right. I do agree that auto makes sense in too cases as i said before:
driving in traffic or merely cause people are lazy and dont know how to drive!

Lo they do call to me
Old 12-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #53
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock

Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
You can't Clutch Kick an Auto Tranny.

/Thread
Old 12-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #54
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris de la Cruz View Post
You can't Clutch Kick an Auto Tranny.

/Thread
+1

Also I bet if more people drove manual you wouldnt have so many morons thinking they can multitask ( which you shouldnt be in the first place) in an auto and crash their cars all the time.

Don't get me wrong, ya if I had a 700hp race car and only drove it on a race track then ya I could see an auto coming in handy but for every day driving... I rather shoot myself in the head then being stuck behind the wheel of an auto. That shit makes you go retarded.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #55
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

This is off benz website...

for the MB 08 C300..

compared to the manual 6 speed over the 7 speed auto matic.

PERFORMANCE

Acceleration,
0–100 km/h Manual: 7.2 seconds
Automatic: 7.3 seconds
Fuel economy,
city estimate Manual: 11.7 L/100 km
Automatic: 11.7 L/100 km
Fuel economy,
highway estimate Manual: 7.7 L/100 km
Automatic: 7.8 L/100 km

there both pretty much the same.. but performance wise..
if the manual and auto matic did 100 0-60 tests you have to factor in driver error.

for miss shift etc. while the auto matic will ALWAYS perform the 7.3
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #56
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

geez i can eat my mcdonalds meal while driving standard...no cup holders too!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #57
sirex
King Sirex

well my 98 jetta doesn't have any problems rocking. Never been stuck. SEen plenty of people in manual cars try doing what youre talking about and cand do it for shit..

I can rock my car without even pushing the gas. Because all automatic cars, when put into drive will move forward. Same with reverse. And they move slowly in gear. Which is perfect for snow as what people tend to do in manual cars is put to much gas when stuck in snow causing their tires to spin.. Also the delay between switching is not much at all on the auto.

As for magnus, MAGNUS dont all you cars have all wheell drive? So how is that even a comparison?

AT the end of the day this is just a bullshit thread about what each person prefers. Then factor in the epeen about how much of an awesome driver you are with manual, and there u have it:

A thread about nothing important.

Some like manual. Some like Auto. Its that simple. The difference between the two is so tiny u cant do it anymore. Ya maybe like 20 years ago youd all be right..

And another point is. WHO Gives a shit how fast u can go 0 to 100 km in? Last I checked thats categorized as Race Driving and u lose your car for a week and get a 5000$ fine.

So, the end of manual "fun" has come to an end in Ontario anyway.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #58
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
well my 98 jetta doesn't have any problems rocking. Never been stuck. SEen plenty of people in manual cars try doing what youre talking about and cand do it for shit..

I can rock my car without even pushing the gas. Because all automatic cars, when put into drive will move forward. Same with reverse. And they move slowly in gear. Which is perfect for snow as what people tend to do in manual cars is put to much gas when stuck in snow causing their tires to spin.. Also the delay between switching is not much at all on the auto.

As for magnus, MAGNUS dont all you cars have all wheell drive? So how is that even a comparison?

AT the end of the day this is just a bullshit thread about what each person prefers. Then factor in the epeen about how much of an awesome driver you are with manual, and there u have it:

A thread about nothing important.

Some like manual. Some like Auto. Its that simple. The difference between the two is so tiny u cant do it anymore. Ya maybe like 20 years ago youd all be right..

And another point is. WHO Gives a shit how fast u can go 0 to 100 km in? Last I checked thats categorized as Race Driving and u lose your car for a week and get a 5000$ fine.

So, the end of manual "fun" has come to an end in Ontario anyway.
What all cars are you refering to? Only the ford is 4wd. My wifes saxo is FWD and the buick is RWD. I dont have any other cars here at the moment. I did have other cars in the past but thats all i have at the moment.And even if all were 4wd what has that got to do with whether i prefer auto or manual????
And i did not disagree in anything you are saying. I just say that autos are chosen by two type of drivers. Those who prefer a lazier drive and those who simply cant drive manual.
As for 0-100 it was just a comparison i thought of! Besides if you think this is a bullshit threat then dont reply! We are merely discussing our opinions. Isnt this the point of a forum like this? No disrespect man but you got my point wrong! I am not dissing what choices people make. Its their on right to choose auto or manual. I just dont like automatics. People generally like to have things that may be useless (as an example all those SUV s that never see gravel or dust) but have the cool factor whether that is bling, size , power, or performance.
And as for the days of manual fun coming to end...if all of us thought like that we would drive 1.0Lt 3 cylinder diesel automatics and would be in a hippie "Lets learn how to knit" forum instead of a car enthusiast forum.

Lo they do call to me

Last edited by magnus; 12-23-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #59
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdalinda View Post
This is off benz website...

for the MB 08 C300..

compared to the manual 6 speed over the 7 speed auto matic.

PERFORMANCE

Acceleration,
0100 km/h Manual: 7.2 seconds
Automatic: 7.3 seconds
Fuel economy,
city estimate Manual: 11.7 L/100 km
Automatic: 11.7 L/100 km
Fuel economy,
highway estimate Manual: 7.7 L/100 km
Automatic: 7.8 L/100 km

there both pretty much the same.. but performance wise..
if the manual and auto matic did 100 0-60 tests you have to factor in driver error.

for miss shift etc. while the auto matic will ALWAYS perform the 7.3
True but, you cant deny there is always the possibility depending on the driver to improve both accelaretion and economy and as you stated vice versa. However this is not possible with the auto.

Lo they do call to me
Old 12-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #60
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
+1

Also I bet if more people drove manual you wouldnt have so many morons thinking they can multitask ( which you shouldnt be in the first place) in an auto and crash their cars all the time.

Don't get me wrong, ya if I had a 700hp race car and only drove it on a race track then ya I could see an auto coming in handy but for every day driving... I rather shoot myself in the head then being stuck behind the wheel of an auto. That shit makes you go retarded.
Well i have to say i see it the other way. If i had the choice and lived in a city I would use an auto for everyday and a manual for the fun days eg. track and so on. If you live outside cities were there is no stop and go then i would avoid the auto.

Lo they do call to me

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: