Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-22-2008, 03:21 AM   #31
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
I want to see the numbers that proves a GAS MANUAL TRANSMISSION CAR, is more Fuel Economic then a AUTO transmission.

What 10.1 litters compared to 10.05 litres for auto? **** off, lets see the real numbers for you average joes.

Im willing to bet that most of you here probably use more gas on manual tran cars anyway because I doubt any of you shift perfectly all the time. There can be the expcetion to this rule.

I think for diesel cars u need manual no doubt. but for gas, auto transmission wins hands down in economy. In long lasting use. etc.
As for treacherous condidionts, wtf are you talking about.

MAybe in the alps they have treacherous conditions, not the rest of europe. And plz have u ever driven manual vs auto in the winter? YOu can barely rock the car as well with manual then u can with auto. Ive never gotten stuck with Auto in the winter, ever. Because u can rock the car so easy its a joke. WIth manual I see people spining all the time. Its stupid.

Anyway w/e fun factor = manual.. Thats about it.
Ease of use, economy, everything else = auto.

you cant beat the computer. And if you need the tourque for going up hill, down shifting on a trip tronic, or even a 4 gearbox works just as well.

You are soo wrong.
For diesels you need auto as they have more torque and a smaller rev range. So unless you want to change gears all the time then stick with an auto.
As for winter driving i would expect you to say this as you drive auto. I drive manuals in Iceland and have never been stuck(although the ford is auto). Even my wifes Saxo is manual and has never been stuck.
The fact is that manual is better in every way except in traffic and the fact that you need to change clutches occasionaly.
As for figures are you serious? Can you bring figures for an auto?
Just in comparison i know some guy in Greece who owns 2 Mercs W124 E200. One is auto (his wifes) and the other is manual.
He always tells me the auto uses more fuel plus as its a heavy car its much safer to drive the manual(for overtaking) and easier on the mountain roads(not only swiss alps have roads like that in europe you know).
Dont you think its a lil strange that the rally cars are manual(even WRC ones with sequentials retain the clutch pedal) and they drive on snow gravel tarmac, etc).
Autos are for lazy people who cant drive and only know that the car has a go and a stop mode.....aka women!!!!!!

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:43 AM   #32
coolhand
Banned

lol mangus, don't you know its not a good idea to drink and post?
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:35 AM   #33
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
lol mangus, don't you know its not a good idea to drink and post?

lol but seriously i dont see any advantages of autos(i am talking to full autos not paddle shifters and such).
I honestly think they are there just to make us that lil bit extra lazy!
To prove my point think it this way:
Any car is run on 4 basic skills/efforts along the judgment of the driver:
1)steer wheel
2)pedals
3)gear shaft
4)other control (lights, horn etc.)
If we take out one of these, we reduce our efforts in driving by 25%.
Less effort = lazy

Lo they do call to me

Last edited by magnus; 12-22-2008 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:46 AM   #34
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quoted from:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...vs-auto-ov.htm

Are these figures enough?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Noname.jpg (32.0 KB, 62 views)

Lo they do call to me

Last edited by magnus; 12-22-2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #35
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock

Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5HogTown View Post
BMW is too focused on autos, they should have been the first to market with the following. Very cool.

2009 Nissan 370Z... The new close-ratio 6-speed manual includes an available world’s first synchronized downshift rev matching system, which allows drivers of any skill level to experience professional-like gear shift performance. The “SynchroRev Match” function automatically controls and adjusts engine speed when shifting to the exact speed of the next gear position, essentially “blipping” the throttle to smooth out any up/down shifts. This not only allows the driver to focus more on braking and steering, it improves vehicle balance and smoothness by reducing the typical “shock” when the clutch is engaged. The system can be deactivated with a button next to the shifter for drivers who prefer less vehicle intervention. The SynchroRev Match system is offered as part of the optional Sport Package.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/11...s-release.html

thats awesome! but honestly, i've gotten so used to heel-toe downshifting that i don't even notice.

Last edited by Chris de la Cruz; 12-22-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Chris de la Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #36
Fel
Not Banned

I like driving stick as much as the next guy, but as far as I can tell, modern automatics are superior to manual in almost every respect.

By modern, I'm not talking about your friends W124. I'm talking about cars that came off a production line in the last 2-3 years. They are faster shifting (even for the Schumachers out there), more efficient, and hassle free.

I can understand the purist attitude towards the subject, but there's no denying factual information. Technology is better than we are.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #37
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
I like driving stick as much as the next guy, but as far as I can tell, modern automatics are superior to manual in almost every respect.

By modern, I'm not talking about your friends W124. I'm talking about cars that came off a production line in the last 2-3 years. They are faster shifting (even for the Schumachers out there), more efficient, and hassle free.

I can understand the purist attitude towards the subject, but there's no denying factual information. Technology is better than we are.
I have to disagree with this. Sure the technology/computers that drives the automatic transmissions are great, and they have come a long long way. But one thing they still can't do is predict, and see the road ahead. They are always at a disadvantage because they are reacting to an input or situation after the fact. ie after you push the pedal down. (paddle shift excluded)
Old 12-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #38
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
I have to disagree with this. Sure the technology/computers that drives the automatic transmissions are great, and they have come a long long way. But one thing they still can't do is predict, and see the road ahead. They are always at a disadvantage because they are reacting to an input or situation after the fact. ie after you push the pedal down. (paddle shift excluded)

Exactly!

Lo they do call to me
Old 12-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #39
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
...paddle shift excluded.

Paddle shift included, it trumps all. If you have the ability to select the gear in any fashion, it's better. And an automatic with shift selection capabilities is still an automatic.

The argument in the past has always been "I'd still take a stick over so-and-so's tiptronic, because I shift faster and better".... this is no longer true.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #40
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
...paddle shift excluded.

Paddle shift included, it trumps all. If you have the ability to select the gear in any fashion, it's better. And an automatic with shift selection capabilities is still an automatic.

The argument in the past has always been "I'd still take a stick over so-and-so's tiptronic, because I shift faster and better".... this is no longer true.
Your comment initially said any automatic that's come off the production line in the last 2 years, which for I would guess 95% of which do not have paddle shifters. and even the ones that do have some sort of tiptronic shifting capabilities, the majority will still not be as efficient, precise, or as quick as a proper manual. To me it sounds as though you are lumping SMG type transmissions in with the Automatics, which they aren't. Those are better in most resepcts, but they are essentially manual transmissions.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #41
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Your comment initially said any automatic that's come off the production line in the last 2 years, which for I would guess 95% of which do not have paddle shifters. and even the ones that do have some sort of tiptronic shifting capabilities, the majority will still not be as efficient, precise, or as quick as a proper manual. To me it sounds as though you are lumping SMG type transmissions in with the Automatics, which they aren't. Those are better in most resepcts, but they are essentially manual transmissions.
You're right, there are some major differences.... I guess I should put it like this:

There are transmissions today that are faster and more efficient, that are controlled by computers, than the traditional stick shift variety. You couldn't say that a few years ago, but now you can, and on a large scale. Most major manufacturers offer a vehicle with this capability, its not a technology restricted to the high end.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #42
DriveItSideways
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
lets just hope ZF and Getrag dont go out of buisness, so at least i can keep rebuilding the ones' ive got.
I doubt that will happen, youd be surprised at the amount of cars that come with the zf/getrag's.
DriveItSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #43
325isdan
5th Gear Member

I can not comprehend why anyone would ever want to drive an automatric let alone one as a daily driver. And don't get me started on seeing jerks buying performance cars with an autoshifter ( paddle shifters included)
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #44
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
I can not comprehend why anyone would ever want to drive an automatric let alone one as a daily driver. And don't get me started on seeing jerks buying performance cars with an autoshifter ( paddle shifters included)

I loved every single auto/SMG car i driven AMG/M. I preffer auto trans to a manual for everyday driving.

Flame me
Old 12-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #45
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
And plz have u ever driven manual vs auto in the winter? YOu can barely rock the car as well with manual then u can with auto. Ive never gotten stuck with Auto in the winter, ever. Because u can rock the car so easy its a joke. WIth manual I see people spining all the time. Its stupid.
Not gonna bother commenting on the other stuff, but this shit is just RIDICULOUS. I'm surprised no one said anything, but you must be on some good shit (or lack driving skill) if you think rocking a car is easier with an auto. Please explain how...

With a manual, you put it in gear, you let the clutch out, move forward/back as far as you can, then push the clutch in, and the car will roll back since it's in "neutral" and then you just engage the clutch and go forward again, and rinse and repeat. You can disengage/engage the clutch in less than a second.

With an auto, your car will never "roll back" as the tranny keeps it moving forward, so it's 1000x harder to get any rocking action going at all with an auto, nevermind it being better than a manual...

Especially when you're on an incline, even a slight one, with a manual it's easy as pie. Say you're on a slight downhill and you need to rock it, just go in reverse, go backwards as much as you can, clutch out, and you'll roll forward due to the downhill, and then you just clutch in again and go back. This is again simply impossible on an auto since if it's reverse it's not going to roll forward.

Also, if you need to go from first to reverse quickly, you can do it pretty damn fast with a manual, with the auto it's much slower first of all, and then you have to give it a second or two to engage, at which point it's too late as the car isn't rocking anymore lol. If you just slam it in reverse and mash it before it engages good luck to your tranny..
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: