Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Angry My first Big Rig accident.

Just a piece of advice to all Max members. I know it’s the holidays however please think before you get behind the wheel.

Driving on highway 13N in Montreal about 2.5 Miles from 440 at 4am I got into my first accident.
My appointment was for 7:30 am after glancing at the clock I thought to myself lots of time left. Glanced over to my GPS, on the screen it displayed 2.5miles before I have to turn on to 440. The next thing that I heard was a huge bang and then my truck accelerated. The first thing that came to my mind was that my trailer separated from the truck. I glanced at my side view mirror; the trailer was still attached to the truck and this car behind me. Then it clicked I got rear ended. I started to slow down and pull over. I waved the vehicle to park in front of me. Then I saw the damage. The car had ¼ of the windshield missing, the right pillar was sliced right through hood had a huge gash in it. Next my eyes fixed on the passenger with blood all over his face. I was going to pull over in a safe place however after seeing the passenger I just pulled over. I called 911 before I even applied the brakes. Ran to the car, driver was getting out looked really dazed, he told me he was fine. I opened the driver’s door glanced over to the passenger, his eyes were closed and blood was coming down his face.

I went to grab his arm for a pulse, when all of a sudden he opened his eyes. I asked him where he was; with no response I realized he only speaks French. I asked the driver to watch him. I got into the truck and gave the 911 operator my exact position. While getting out of the cab I noticed the passenger walking around the car speaking to the driver. Got back to the passenger and made him sit in the vehicle. Walked to the truck opened my emergency compartment and lit up 9 road flares behind the truck. In a few minutes emergency vehicles start arriving. The first 2 vehicles were Quebec Transportation, followed by the ambulance, tow truck and 15 minutes later the Police showed up.

Talking to the driver he told me he was travelling at 100Kph and he fell asleep behind the wheel. I looked at him and mentioned that for him to bend the rear bumper of my trailer he was traveling a lot faster than. I explained I was doing 105Kmh and the damaged to both vehicles I would guess him doing at least 150- 160Kph.
The passenger was taken to hospital I don’t know his condition, however the ambulance left with no roof lights on which means the condition of the occupant is none life threatening. The passenger is very lucky that his seat was reclined and he was sleeping. Looking at the damage and if the seat was in the upright position I’m sure he would not have lived.
The Police thought that I was parked on the side of the road and the driver hit me. I told the Police what happened and he explained to me that the other driver will be charged with reckless driving.

During this trip I have been cut off 15 times all because people are in a great hurry. One lady in a VW cut me off so bad that I managed to stop about a foot from her rear bumper. She was trying to get over into the fast lane; her excuse was she could not see me. WTF you can’t see a transport truck I guess I was in her blind spot. Another guy in a Chrysler minivan was gunning it on a highway onramp. He thought he could get in front of me. He managed to stop inches from hitting the concrete barrier; if he did not stop he would have gone under my trailer wheels. From my knowledge a 3,500 pound vehicle vs 92,000 pound truck, the truck wins everytime.

Thinking about the accident I’m glad everyone will get over this, however I can’t stop thinking of the “What If Factor”. What If the passenger died and every Christmas I would have a reminder that even though this was not my fault I had a part in taking a life. So please all slow down Christmas is just around the corner.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Arash
6th Gear Member

hopefully it will be your last
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Wow, hitting a truck that fast... good way to lose a head.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
Boots R
Boots, not boost

jesus christ on a cracker
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
Blades
Your opinion is to long

I hate Montreal

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
europrince
6th Gear Member

Wow, what a story and a lesson!
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots R View Post
jesus christ on a cracker
Jesus christ on a cheese cracker stick

oh yah... beat that

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Fel
Not Banned

Damn dude, hell of a story. Glad no one was seriously hurt, and that you all walked away.

A good reminder to all the asshats out there to drive with their heads.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
prince1
on to the next 1

Send a message via MSN to prince1
woaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
Yo man, I got $6000 in my bank account, and I could buy any car i want
Ya man with $6000 in the bank, you're really balling arnt ya
prince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #10
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

One of our trucks got rear ended by another truck. Pure carnage. Good to hear everyone was OK.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #11
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

glad everyone was okay. anytime i come near a truck i keep a trailer distance between it and myself until I know I can get away from it. Had a truck tire blowout right beside me on the the highway at 140km/h never again will I drive near them.
Jim .E. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #12
A~G
Car Payment Free

Send a message via MSN to A~G
I don't really read these long stories, but I actually read every word. Don't let this eat away at you. Forget the 'what ifs'... nothing happened. I know its easier said than done, but you can't help the driving of others.

For one, we need a more challenging driver license exam. I personally know many people who have no business being on the road. Then again, some people are just ignorant.

Merry Christmas

A~G

Man who run in front of car get tired.
Man who run behind car get exhausted.
A~G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #13
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
That sucks.. man with this weather how can people be so stupid??? It would be a blessing driving a big rig in the snow.. A heavy truck like that would be able to handle snow no problem... When I was driving through interstate in a snow storm with cars going 40-50 in a single file big rigs were flying by us one by one, going 100 like nothing happened

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #14
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_7 View Post
It would be a blessing driving a big rig in the snow..

Actually depending on the conditions, weight of the truck and the size of the drivers balls.

If the truck is empty and depending the depth of the snow the trailer wheels are holding the vehicle back. I was empty today and got stuck in a 1/2 foot of snow. Both axels were spinning it took me almost 15minutes to get her unstuck.
If you are fully loaded you have lots of traction not even 2 feet of snow will stop you, however if there is even 1mm of ice under the snow the truck has no traction, worst of all it canít stop.
When it comes to this weather driving a transport truck is white knuckle all the way.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #15
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble65 View Post
Actually depending on the conditions, weight of the truck and the size of the drivers balls.

If the truck is empty and depending the depth of the snow the trailer wheels are holding the vehicle back. I was empty today and got stuck in a 1/2 foot of snow. Both axels were spinning it took me almost 15minutes to get her unstuck.
If you are fully loaded you have lots of traction not even 2 feet of snow will stop you, however if there is even 1mm of ice under the snow the truck has no traction, worst of all it canít stop.
When it comes to this weather driving a transport truck is white knuckle all the way.
Hmmm, I didn't know.... The more you know I suppose.

Reminds me when I was talking to the streetcar driver at TTC.. He said that the best condition for the streetcar is when it's snowing or raining. Hot weather causes the rails to expand and creates more friction, yet when the track is wet it creates less friction, which is beneficial, especially since the streetcar weighs 40,000-50,000 kg and doesn't go past 50 km/h lol. Winter driver's dream.

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: