Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #16
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendered View Post
Haha,

No offence or anything, but how would you know how much an E46 costs to maintain? I love it when you comment on things you've never owned
My mother has owned one for 7 years now.

But I'd never make such a claim based on anecdotal evidence. It's called reading.

@stancejay
Mystikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #17
maxima_'90
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to maxima_'90
Just do it. I was nervous about giving up my bullet proof Mazda. After having driven my new to me '05 zhp sedan, i don't care how much it costs to maintain. I'm in love with the car and I've only had if for 2 weeks. Can't comment on maintenance costs yet. Just like with any used car, make sure it's been maintained properly, has records, and have a mech. look it over before you even think about putting money down.
maxima_'90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #18
TNation
Banned

no matter how you put it, they're very costly to own.
I've always said this, you've gotta pay to play. You want a BMW that handles, has RWD and looks better and drives more fun than the competition (which is arguable, the 6 speed G35 Coupe isn't bad at all and the WRX STI is REALLY great), than E46 may be for you. But you're going to have to pay minimum $1000 a year, usually $1500 or so for maintainenence. However, only get a 330i because of power (the others have no power), and stay away away from early year e46's (99-2001). So if I had ultimately had to get an E46 under $20k it'd be a 2002-2003 330ci ZHP. If I had $20-30k to spend it'd be a 2004 M3 coupe 6MT (don't get 2001-2003). But if I had $22k, without a doubt, it'd be a WRX STI.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:54 AM   #19
rendered
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
no matter how you put it, they're very costly to own.
I've always said this, you've gotta pay to play. You want a BMW that handles, has RWD and looks better and drives more fun than the competition (which is arguable, the 6 speed G35 Coupe isn't bad at all and the WRX STI is REALLY great), than E46 may be for you. But you're going to have to pay minimum $1000 a year, usually $1500 or so for maintainenence. However, only get a 330i because of power (the others have no power), and stay away away from early year e46's (99-2001). So if I had ultimately had to get an E46 under $20k it'd be a 2002-2003 330ci ZHP. If I had $20-30k to spend it'd be a 2004 M3 coupe 6MT (don't get 2001-2003). But if I had $22k, without a doubt, it'd be a WRX STI.

man, you're so far off on this post.

330ci ZHP (Coupe) was introduced into Canada starting 2004. I know, I was one of the first people to purchase one when it became available.

I pay less on maintenance a year than any other car I own currently (besides my 2003.5 E46 M3)... and have owned in the past. At times, I've paid more on repairs and maintenance on my Acura's then I've ever spent on any of my BMW's ( one of my RSX's had a complete automagic tranny failure at 80,000km's, dumped it and got a BMW and never looked back), but from my experience neither brand is more or less expensive to maintain. I believe there's a whole Nostalgia in which German cars are so unreliable and expensive to maintain, and japanese cars are so much better, but in my experience its the other way around. Every japanese car I've owned (Acura's and Lexus's) has had major and much worse issues than any german car I've owned.

And the cost to maintain each of my E46's is nowhere near $1000-1500 a year! sorry. I feel bad for some of you guys!

You're not going to get a clean 2004 E46 M3 coupe for $20 to $30K with BMW certified series warranty. well maybe if you're lucky, never know. So which one is it, you're on a BMW forum saying if you had $20-30K you for sure get an M3 coupe, but if you had $22K, you'd get a Scubaroo wrx STI? lol lmao, do us all a favour and join the Subaru forums, and buy one since you think the "WRX STI is REALLY great"

And there's nothing wrong with my 2003 E46 M3. And I've seen plenty of clean 2001-2002 M3's as well. The rod bearing recall was pretty effective. I have two close friends with 2001 M3's in better condition and lower mileage than most E46 M3's i see today(They never had any issues with reliability or high repair rate). Want to play it safe, look for 2003.5 and up, but the informed buyer shouldn't shy away from 2001-2003 M3's just because you've said so. I've seen 2005 and 2006 M3's in worse condition then a lot of 2001-2003's. Just do your homework, properly inspect the car, or pay someone informed and trained to do it and ussually that doesn't fail.

and moral of this story, Please stop spreading false info.

Last edited by rendered; 01-05-2009 at 03:17 AM.
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:07 AM   #20
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Under 20k for a ZHP? I don't think so.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #21
TNation
Banned

Quote:
man, you're so far off on this post.

330ci ZHP (Coupe) was introduced into Canada starting 2004. I know, I was one of the first people to purchase one when it became available.

I pay less on maintenance a year than any other car I own currently (besides my 2003.5 E46 M3)... and have owned in the past. At times, I've paid more on repairs and maintenance on my Acura's then I've ever spent on any of my BMW's ( one of my RSX's had a complete automagic tranny failure at 80,000km's, dumped it and got a BMW and never looked back), but from my experience neither brand is more or less expensive to maintain. I believe there's a whole Nostalgia in which German cars are so unreliable and expensive to maintain, and japanese cars are so much better, but in my experience its the other way around. Every japanese car I've owned (Acura's and Lexus's) has had major and much worse issues than any german car I've owned.

And the cost to maintain each of my E46's is nowhere near $1000-1500 a year! sorry. I feel bad for some of you guys!

You're not going to get a clean 2004 E46 M3 coupe for $20 to $30K with BMW certified series warranty. well maybe if you're lucky, never know. So which one is it, you're on a BMW forum saying if you had $20-30K you for sure get an M3 coupe, but if you had $22K, you'd get a Scubaroo wrx STI? lol lmao, do us all a favour and join the Subaru forums, and buy one since you think the "WRX STI is REALLY great"

And there's nothing wrong with my 2003 E46 M3. And I've seen plenty of clean 2001-2002 M3's as well. The rod bearing recall was pretty effective. I have two close friends with 2001 M3's in better condition and lower mileage than most E46 M3's i see today(They never had any issues with reliability or high repair rate). Want to play it safe, look for 2003.5 and up, but the informed buyer shouldn't shy away from 2001-2003 M3's just because you've said so. I've seen 2005 and 2006 M3's in worse condition then a lot of 2001-2003's. Just do your homework, properly inspect the car, or pay someone informed and trained to do it and ussually that doesn't fail.

and moral of this story, Please stop spreading false info.
my mistake. The ZHP only came in 04. I meant, he should only buy 02+ 330i's.
To be honest, and I don't mean this offensively, but your 'experiences' with German cars and Japanese cars doesn't mean anything. Just because you've had 'reliable' BMW's, doesn't mean everyone else will. We're in this together, We love BMW's. But according to Consumer Reports, JD Powers, and any accredited car reliability source, BMW is average to below average- only recently have they had a recommended car, the 2004 BMW M3. To say that Acura or Lexus is worse reliability than BMW is the false info you report to me spreading! I'm sorry, but I've been burned badly with the two BMW's i've owned, but I still love them. And every import Japanese I've owned has been perfect, same with all my friends, same with my parents, etc. But thus, this is my experience, and doesn't mean anything! I think most of how a car runs and drives is due to how the PO maintained the car. But in owning a BMW, you have to expect to pay much more than a Japanese and face more issues, i.e. rear subframe issues, rod bearing issues on select M3 years, electrical gremlins, etc. You have to pay to play. BMW's are built with more functions and a greater suspension (which is why they handle better than Japanese counterparts), and parts cost more to replace. Pure and simple.

and to all your STI comments... get in and drive one. Really great in the winter, a little too firm ride for me IMO, and a fun car thats easily upgradeable. A driver recognizes different cars for what they are, and how they drive, not just because of the brand. WRX STI's are really great cars, well the 06 and up is much better than 04-05. You have to realize that, for its money, they are good cars. Should I go on a Subaru board because I believe there's other cars in the world besides BMW? omgggg no waiiiii
You don't think 04 M3's have factory warranty and are under 30k? who gives if its not from a dealer. Check out this one.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...QAdIdZ94233127

hey and i don't mean this offensively at all. I just don't agree with what you're saying.

Last edited by TNation; 01-05-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #22
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
Under 20k for a ZHP? I don't think so.
you are correct, I was mistaken, I thought ZHP came out in 02.
it'd be hard to get one in Canada under 20k.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #23
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

[Quote:
Originally Posted by rendered
Haha,

No offence or anything, but how would you know how much an E46 costs to maintain? I love it when you comment on things you've never owned ]

[Mystikal
My mother has owned one for 7 years now.
But I'd never make such a claim based on anecdotal evidence. It's called reading.]

Out of curiosity but could this be considered Ownage material?

Jay
Old 01-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #24
PinkieMoscow
Jumped up G'd up.

Goes on a bmw forum to ask if he should buy a bmw. . HECK NO!!! bimmers are cool. They're fun to drive and very appealing. And I don't have to many problems with my car. Exept harm that I inflict myself, i.e like when I pull my bumper off like an idiot and rip my turning signal wire. =D
Old 01-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #25
mudmojo
2nd Gear Member

There's nothing wrong with liking other cars.

I'd like to think we're all BMW fans that can also appreciate other cars for what they are and aren't.

E39 M5
mudmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #26
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmojo View Post
There's nothing wrong with liking other cars.

I'd like to think we're all BMW fans that can also appreciate other cars for what they are and aren't.
i 100% agree with you.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #27
PinkieMoscow
Jumped up G'd up.

bah you guys are crazy =P.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #28
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:

I feel sorry for your car! .. even I go to RMP once in a while when I need things done but the car CAN cost over a $1000 per year to maintain depending on what needs to be changed.

ok .. maybe one year you dont have to change anything but lets say the next year you have to do your brakes and 2 rotors? what does the cost come out to? .. now add your oil changes for the year (I do about 45k a year and change my oil every 5-6k).

bottom line is the car isnt going to run perfect for ever.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #29
damameke
6th Gear Member

Matryx;

I hope you have bought your E46, a forum is a good place to gather info on the car you want to buy, I.E Known BMW issue: sub frame..etc etc...you can use the info and inspect the E46 that you are interested in buying.

I am new to this forum myself for I came here to search for a garage good at servicing BMW and its a toss up betweem RMP and Bimmersport.

Maintenance is a must on any type of car you own, BMW is no difference and they are not that expensive to maintain, i sent both my BMW to the dealer, now that is expensive !!!!

So, go for it, you wil enjoy the ride.

Side note: BMW dealer pricing is always higher compare to Non BMW dealer, between 8 to 10 grand higher, hmmmmm ......

Last edited by damameke; 01-05-2009 at 09:47 PM.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #30
rendered
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
my mistake. The ZHP only came in 04. I meant, he should only buy 02+ 330i's.
To be honest, and I don't mean this offensively, but your 'experiences' with German cars and Japanese cars doesn't mean anything. Just because you've had 'reliable' BMW's, doesn't mean everyone else will. We're in this together, We love BMW's. But according to Consumer Reports, JD Powers, and any accredited car reliability source, BMW is average to below average- only recently have they had a recommended car, the 2004 BMW M3. To say that Acura or Lexus is worse reliability than BMW is the false info you report to me spreading! I'm sorry, but I've been burned badly with the two BMW's i've owned, but I still love them. And every import Japanese I've owned has been perfect, same with all my friends, same with my parents, etc. But thus, this is my experience, and doesn't mean anything! I think most of how a car runs and drives is due to how the PO maintained the car. But in owning a BMW, you have to expect to pay much more than a Japanese and face more issues, i.e. rear subframe issues, rod bearing issues on select M3 years, electrical gremlins, etc. You have to pay to play. BMW's are built with more functions and a greater suspension (which is why they handle better than Japanese counterparts), and parts cost more to replace. Pure and simple.

and to all your STI comments... get in and drive one. Really great in the winter, a little too firm ride for me IMO, and a fun car thats easily upgradeable. A driver recognizes different cars for what they are, and how they drive, not just because of the brand. WRX STI's are really great cars, well the 06 and up is much better than 04-05. You have to realize that, for its money, they are good cars. Should I go on a Subaru board because I believe there's other cars in the world besides BMW? omgggg no waiiiii
You don't think 04 M3's have factory warranty and are under 30k? who gives if its not from a dealer. Check out this one.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...QAdIdZ94233127

hey and i don't mean this offensively at all. I just don't agree with what you're saying.
Sorry If my post came off as harsh,

I still disagree with your statement. I never took offence, nor did I mean to offend you, but wanted to clear up some things. Also point out my experience that my BMW's have proved to be more reliable than my Japanese cars. I'm sure there are many people who are afraid to buy German cars because their Japanese have proven to be perfect/low cost to maintain. Thats fine, they'll swear by japanese cars, keep buying them, and spread they are more reliable than German vehicles, and everything else. Nothing wrong with that except they are missing out on the sheer driving experience our Bmw's offer. You said it yourself, you had bad experiences with your BMW's but you haven't stopped loving the way they drove.

Overall population buys more Honda's, Acura's, Toyota's, and Lexus than BMW probably. No proof to back up my statement, but more people are happy with their purchase i guess? If just as many people bought reliable BMW's I'd love to see all those rumors and reports quickly change after experiencing how much better BMW's drive.

So lets agree to disagree, and say no matter what experiences we face, BMW is worth buying due to the Ultimate driving experience they offer.

Oh and I've had a WRX STI for a month right before I sold it to a close friend. Picked it up at Manheim for him. I wasn't bashing it at all. Nice car no doubt, fun to drive, Nothing like an E46 M3 IMO... I just enjoyed what you said in your post about how if you had 20-30K you'd buy an M3, and if you had 22K you'd buy a WRX STI. What if you found an E46 M3 for 22k? LOL decisions decisions.

and spoony, LOL. Hardly owned. I just pointed out the fact, He personally has not owned an E46 himself. He's obviously not his mom. Different people mean, different driving habbits, experiences, and different maintenance decisions.

and Pinkie, I agree, this thread is useless.

Original Poster, Buy a BMW if you can afford it! and never look back. If you like your Acura Integra GSR more after you've owned a BMW, you can always sell the BMW, and buyer another Acura GSR?
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: