Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #46
Duct_Taper

Another update:

Got some used calipers/brackets and a used clutch/flywheel (thanks richie_s999!). Caliper rebuild kits arrived today.

Got the transmission out tonight to change the clutch... turns out the reason the clutch was slipping was the transmission input shaft seal was shot... because... see pic!

Heading back out to pull the clutch and see if I need a crank rear seal as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trans.jpg (277.0 KB, 118 views)
Duct_Taper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #47
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Wow, oily.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #48
Duct_Taper

Yup.

And I discovered why.... I'm shocked at the incompetence of whoever installed the transmission on this car. Pressure plate bolts had lock washers on them (WTF?) and... check out the first pic. Notice anything missing?

Now for the second pic... the car seems to have a small coolant leak which I think is coming from the block heater plug. The thing I'm wondering about is, the block seems to be kind of damp at the block/head interface. Should I be concerned?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (145.4 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (102.9 KB, 114 views)
Old 03-06-2009, 01:21 AM   #49
everlast

To be honest, I have no idea what's missing. I know more about maxi-pads than clutches; I've never had the pleasure of changing one. I hope to be required to change one this spring.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:45 AM   #50
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
Is there no Pilot bearing, or did you just take it out?

95 530i|Modifications - Work.
ACS_DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:20 AM   #51
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

looks like your missing some balls in the bearing!!! you weren't joking about needing that tranny, come pick up the one I have and get your car running , I will find another one b4 the stroker motor is built.
richie_s999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #52
Duct_Taper

Right on ACS_DAN and richie_s999 - apparently the last person that worked on this trans/clutch thought it would be okay to install it with no pilot bearing!!

I'm amazed that it lasted as long as it did. Also impressed that the transmission was hardly making any noise, even with that bearing looking the way it does.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:05 PM   #53
Duct_Taper

Bump... anyone have any thoughts about the second pic there? The dampness around the head? I was working under my M30 E34 last night/this morning and noticed it has a similar dampness.

Seeing as that car has been running okay for 40,000kms since I bought it, I'm going to assume it's not a problem...

PS- everlast, if you need help changing your clutch, let me know... I have now done them 3x on my Jeep, 1x on the E34, and 1x on the E30. Plus a couple of other times having the transmissions out for various reasons...

Last edited by Duct_Taper; 03-10-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:29 AM   #54
everlast

Thanks, I will definitely put out a post for "halp" when that time comes. I'd rather buy everyone pizza and beer and make a weekend of it than pay a local garage to chip my paint, put grease on my seat and break a little piece of trim, which seems to happen every time my car goes to a shop.

I like to break all that shit myself, a-thank you very much.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #55
E30Rider
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to E30Rider
nice vert buddy, sometimes i wish had a convertible E30 instead of my four door.. maybe one day..
E30Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #56
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duct_Taper View Post
Bump... anyone have any thoughts about the second pic there? The dampness around the head? I was working under my M30 E34 last night/this morning and noticed it has a similar dampness.

Seeing as that car has been running okay for 40,000kms since I bought it, I'm going to assume it's not a problem...

PS- everlast, if you need help changing your clutch, let me know... I have now done them 3x on my Jeep, 1x on the E34, and 1x on the E30. Plus a couple of other times having the transmissions out for various reasons...
Doesn't look too out of the ordinary. Clean it up a bit with some degreeser and keep an eye on it for a while. If you're not getting any problems than it's most likely nothing to be worried about.

95 530i|Modifications - Work.
ACS_DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #57
Duct_Taper

Small update... pulled a fair bit of the motor apart to do the throttle body heater delete, so I figured I'd paint the valve cover, intake, and throttle body while I had them out. Not perfect, but I'm happy with it... looks good from a few feet away.

All I have left to do before it's road-ready is finish draining the gas tank, drop it and fix whatever is leaking, put it back in, install driveshaft, exhaust, bleed the brakes, bleed the coolant, and drive!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (179.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 03-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #58
everlast

^^ looks good man!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #59
Duct_Taper

So I dropped the tank, and the problem was what I think is the driver's side chamber vent line (in red). That is pretty much completely shot. It's rotted away right at where it goes into the tank... so I'm wondering if I can plug the current hole, drill a new one, and JB Weld a piece of fuel line into it.

Thoughts? Can I just plug it and leave it?

(The pic isn't my tank - I stole it from a FS ad. The line in the pic looks like it should.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank.jpg (126.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #60
everlast

If it is indeed the vent line going to the front of the car, plug it and forget it. That vent line goes to the charcoal filter then into the bottom of the TB. Every FI E30 just disconnects it and some just plug the line. That's what I'll be doing. Obviously, plug the hole in the TB or something too, otherwise you'll have a small vacuum leak.

Oddly, some guys like to leave that line open so their gas tank doesn't explode from pressure on hot days, which means they are venting gas fumes from the fume tank above the filler next into the engine bay. I do not see how that is safe, but they insisted its safer than pressurizing your tank. I disagree, since old cars didn't have any vents at all, and you'd hear the air whoosh out when you opened the filler cap.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: