Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #16
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfeller View Post
Don't get a '95. As of this writing, they are "inadmissable" to Canada. Check the RIV web site for more details.
Yeah, something with the front bumper shocks or something like that doesn't comply with Canadian standards... Pretty dumb, but what can you do about it. Good luck with the search!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:35 PM   #17
countrybimm
peelin' not dealin'

when i got mine from evensville indiana BMW shop..forget the name...i informed the border 48 hours in advance that i was bringin a car to them and gave them vin...i then bought the car, they put a 30 day plate on it, and i drove it to the border...i then paid 183 brokerage fees, plus gst or pst, cant remember...from there did the special safety which only canadian tire can do (****) which included day time running lights..after that it was normal plating..u also need a recall letter from bmw...get a US one to do it for you...might be forgetting a few things, but not to hard...only thing that sux is that u pay a not made in northern america tarriff of 6% i believe...check RIV
countrybimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:46 AM   #18
bigfeller
Propeller Head

Carburner.com

Quote:
i informed the border 48 hours in advance that i was bringin a car to them and gave them vin...i then bought the car, they put a 30 day plate on it, and i drove it to the border...i then paid 183 brokerage fees, plus gst or pst, cant remember...from there did the special safety which only canadian tire can do (****) which included day time running lights..
Carburner.com will outline the above-mentioned procedure in detail. One thing to note though is that as of November 2007, you must first purchase from BMW a "letter of admissability" for $350 + GST BEFORE you import the car to Canada. In this letter, it will state that the car DOES NOT meet current Canadian vehicle safety standards, as it does not have DRLs installed, and that DRLs must be installed by a BMW dealer. Only after a BMW dealer has done the work, will they then issue the recall clearance letter ($500 + GST) which is necessary to complete the process. BMW NA has forbidden all US dealers from issuing Recall Clearance Letters under the threat of heavy penalties. Canadian BMW dealers have to 'order' the letter from BMW Canada.

Is spite of all of this, it's still a better bet to get a rust-free unmolested car from the Southern US- unless you can find a Canadian car that hasn't ever been winter driven, and is accident free. They're out there, but they're rare, and therefore expensive. Good luck!

SOLD- Now Enjoying Honda Civic
bigfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #19
blastedM3
Jane & Finch

Thanks for all the good info once again.

I am not is a rush to get one but i am looking. I probably wont be getting one from canada unless it is what u mentioned,never winter driven and unmolested. On my next trip to the us ill be looking real hard.

1997 E36 M3-Sold
1991 318ci-Project Car-Almost Done
93 Honda HB-Daily Beater
blastedM3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: