Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Photography
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
philthy328
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to philthy328
Camera help

Hey guys, Im in the market for a new camera and am looking at the Canon 40 D. Just wondering If there are any better choices in the same price range and if some nikon cameras are comparable. What are your opinions?

Thanks.

Phil
philthy328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
z3frog
1st Gear Newbie

Well if you're just starting out with photography I don't think you need a camera that's as fancy and advanced as a Canon 40D yet. Something like a Nikon D90 (mid range)/ Canon Digital Rebel XTi or Nikon D40 (entry level) would be better idea I would say. The powerful features and many options will just overwhelm you. The photographer, not the equipment, is the key to making a good photo.

Nikon, Canon, Pentax etc all make good cameras. Do you already have lenses that you want to use? When you choose a brand you're limited to buying accessories with that brand. Keep in mind camera bodies get obsolete quite fast, but lenses can be used for a longer time.

Pentax cameras are quite easy to use. Canon has good pricing, has a large range of lenses you can choose to add to the body. My favourite is Nikon. Great optics and ergonomics; they fit better in my hand and have brighter, clearer viewfinders even on the entry models.

I currently use a Nikon D80 body with some Sigma and Nikkor (Nikon) lenses that I bought over a year ago.
z3frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
piotrek636
formerly Lucky

^ it doesnt matter, 40D is so cheap now.

Dont buy a plastic rebel ! the finish on them are total crap, they show wear and tear just after weeks of handling, I had an XT and XTI before, both are little toys. I upgraded to a 30D, even though it's a equivalent of XT/XTI it is much more durable, still looks like new and has much better grip.

Go to futureshop and play with all cameras.

I would like to upgdade to the 40D but I still havent found a reason for upgrading, the 30D is just doing fine.

Personal opinion: go and pick up a used 40D with 17-85 lens for $800, they are all over the kijiji / craigslist.
piotrek636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
philthy328
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to philthy328
Im gonna go with the 40d, its through the insurance company anyways, because my old rebel got stolen. Plus here in BC you can get a brand new one with lens for under 1200. thanks for your opinions.
philthy328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
z3frog
1st Gear Newbie

Ah... the 40D. Congrats!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

I disagree with z3frog. Having recently got into the game myself, I KICKED myself for buying a D60 first, then realizing I should have got a D80. If you are remotely planning to be serious, get the good stuff right off the bat. It will save you money. I've got the D80 now - Now I want the D300 :-) and if I had that, I'm sure I'd want the D700... LOL

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:29 AM   #7
kerisabe
Capturing the Impossible

well the technology never ends, there's always a better camera than what you own. Id say just get a camera that's well within your budget and start shooting asap. Once you feel that youve acquired all the functions in the camera and feel there's a need to upgrade cause the camera's inadequacy is holding you down then it's time to upgrade. At least you'll appreciate the better technology better.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

True but sometimes the feature set will leave you lacking, for example on the D40/D40x/D60 the requirement for AF-S lenses only really bites. Now that I have the D80, none of my lenses are AF-S! Only 1 DX lens in the bunch, which is sweet since I do eventually want to move to FF with the D700. I LOVE the ISO range you can get with that camera.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 12-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
z3frog
1st Gear Newbie

You guys make good points. I guess what I should have said is that you'll have to dig deep and look what you want to do and what features each camera offers.

That's why I bought a D80 instead of a D40. I had an old Sigma lens from my dad that was AF-D (need a motor in the camera body to drive the AF motor). The D80 had the motor, the D40 didnt. I'm happy with my D80 now... anything fancier is just a luxury and wouldn't affect my photos.

More is not always better. Have you considered stuff like weight? It's no use buying the most expensive, feature laden camera like a D3 if it's too heavy to bring around with you. Have a look at www.kenrockwell.com . He's a guy with almost every Nikon camera you could consider, and his favourite/ primary camera is a D40. Why? It's fast to use... he doesn't have to fumble with 40 AF points when 9 is enough. It's light... he brings it around everywhere, letting him take shots he might otherwise miss.

Finally, I'll say this again: it's your skills that make a good photo, not the equipment you have. People have made amazing photos with just a Polaroid camera.

Just do your reasearch, and buy the lowest model that fits your needs from the brand you like. Remember to acutally hold and play with the camera at the shop first. You'll probably upgrade to a newer body within 5 years anyway. But pay attention to what lens you buy; lenses will probably last you through 2 or 3 bodies.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Ken Rockwell is a tool half the time. He's very matter-of-fact and high on himself. There are major differences between D80 and the D90, D300 and D700. Apart from FX on the D700, the biggest and most notable one is being able to get the higher ISO range from those camera's compared to the D80. I also have the D80 and the pics beyond ISO800 really bite and need alot of PP to get looking good.

I've seen some pics from D700 at ISO6400 and they look INCREDIBLE.

D40 is 3 AF points. I always used just one on my D60 and D80. Focus and recompose, Focus and recompose...

Skill is needed for composition and thought process, but if you camera can't take pics in the light you want, etc then you are shot in the dark (no pun intended!)

Deep

2007 Z4 3.0si

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: