Update to the build: Chromius came over friday night and we removed the hood and doddled around. We modified the main relay, which should have been bonehead simple (especially in that there were two easy wires to splice) but I did things the hard way and ended up accidentally yanking some wires out of one of the relay harnesses, which proved fairly touchy to get back in.
Saturday I spent the entire day cleaning my basement. My new shelves are now full, I have an online inventory of my car parts and the home theatre is ready for more drywall mud. The workshop is also ready to work on stuffs.
So Sunday I built a super ghetto TPS adapter from plastic (but it works great), modified an ECU case top for the megasquirt, got my laptop working with the USB / serial adapter, mounted the MS and powered it up. It connects just fine, and can see everything including when I cranked it briefly. Then spent a while measuring the front end for the intercooler.
Today I'm picking up some bolts for the TPS adapter to make it more secure (I used screws) and some couplers and a "T" for the vacuum line. A friend is coming over tonight to help remove the front bumper, lights, A/C components and double check the measurements for the I/C and plumbing.
I have the intercooler and plumbing picked out, ready to order, just want to double check my measurements.
I'm going to mount the I/C behind the kidneys instead of behind the valence. At most, behind the valence I can fit 19" by 6" of exposed core. The bumper blocks the next 7", which is where most I/Cs on e30s seem to go. That just doesn't make sense to me, so my I/C will fit behind the kidneys, with about 1" covered by the bumper. The inlet and outlet should fit nicely under the highbeams. I should get 21" x 8" of fully exposed core to airflow, 2.75" thick. This will also allow me to keep fogs and brakeducts.
I considered using a FMIC in which the inlet and outlet are facing up, which would grant me about 15% more exposed core and slightly less covered core, but it would mean two additional 90 degree bends in the piping which will hurt flow. Also would mean i need to fab new brake ducts, etc. I had planned on it, but if I can avoid, then that's great.