Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Front aux fans not coming on.

Wanted to get some feedback in here about this.

1985 325e.

Replaced the two sensors (top for low speed bottom for high speed). Jump the leads at the sensor and the relays work and the fans come on. Turn on AC and the low speed fan comes on.

I originally though my thermostat was opening all the way and limiting the flow of coolant through the rad but just did a thermostat no change. New waterpump and hoses.

I let the car get to 220F and not even the 1st stage sensor grounded (195). I am suspecting a plugged rad at this point.

Any thoughts?

FYI went from electric front fan (that died) back to a clutch fan and did these tests without the clutch fan on. Incase you were wondering how I got the car to 220F.
85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
derkleineman
2nd Gear Member

the location of the sensor is not the best in the cold side of the radiator so best would be to install the sensor somewhere else like in the top pipe what goes to the rad
that way the messurment is more exact and the fan will go on sooner and not always that late

but some fans only go on in conjunction with the AC in on position for that please check
as it is in my car like that
derkleineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derkleineman View Post
the location of the sensor is not the best in the cold side of the radiator so best would be to install the sensor somewhere else like in the top pipe what goes to the rad
that way the messurment is more exact and the fan will go on sooner and not always that late

but some fans only go on in conjunction with the AC in on position for that please check
as it is in my car like that
Yes the fan comes on no matter what temp at low speed once the AC is on.

On the eta engine the side of the tank where the sensors are is the hot side.

I agree with maybe moving the sensor.
85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #4
derkleineman
2nd Gear Member

then it wont come on when the engine is getting to hot or you would have to do a small modification in the fuse panel where the relay is

when i remeber right i was putting on pin # 85 on the relay a plus when the ignition is on i also used a sensor with a lower setting in order to eliminate the clutch fan and that setup works great second option would be usable for electric waterpump and fan to avoid coocking in the summer sun after the engine is shout off
derkleineman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: