Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
Lost my phone, any help?

This is a biggg longshot but I figure I'll throw it up here just in case...

And yes, I know there's like 95% chance I won't get it back but it's worth a try just in case right? There are some good people out there..

I lost my phone yesterday morning in a cab.

Cab just said TAXI on top, I believe it was an independent taxi and not part of a company. There was no logos on the cab at all I believe, it was a silverish blue color... just a slight hint of blue in the silver, not bright or anything. It was a Crown Vic. It was overdue for an oil change as indicated on the guages. It had "GTAA" written on it somwhere which means it's an airport cab, but I called the airport and they said that there are no independant airport cabs, they are all part of some company, and he gave me a list of 5 companies that have the GTAA license thing, and I called them but they only had limos, no random silverish cars like the one I took.

I took it only a few blocks downtown, in the King and Yonge/Jarvis ish area. Someone JUST go out of it and then I went in, so I'm guessing since it was a GTAA cab that if I didn't flag him down he would've just went back to the airport? I don't know.

Anyways, I lost the phone yesterday at 10 am, but, it's still on as I can call it. It's on silent (doesn't even vibrate or anything). My phone locks itself out when idle for an hour so it's locked now I'm sure. If they type the password wrong 5 times it does a master reset and deletes everything on the phone. This is why I still think it's in the cab (maybe got wedged between the cushions so no one saw it): If someone picked it up and wanted to sell it/keep it, they would've turned it off and thrown away my SIM card by now, or at least tried the password 5 times and then it would turn off etc. (By the way on the lock screen it says my full name and nothing else, so if someone saw it they could look me up on facebook or something). It doesn't make sense that it's still on. However I keep calling it all the time (although it's on silent, the phone lights up etc when someone is calling so they would see it if they were near it..), and no one answers. If someone found it (and wanted to give it back to me), they would surely see one of my 50 calls and answer it. My friend also sent me a message at like 10 30 am yesterday, and it's still not been read, which again leads me to believe that no one touched it since I'm sure they would check a message that's blinking if they did.

The only weird thing is that I called last night to turn off long distance and data so my bill doesn't get raped, but to leave the normal voice plan on so that I can still call it. And then I asked the guy if any calls have been made since 10 am, and he's like no, but, someone used the internet at 12:30 pm for only 100kb of data (like one page load?). Completely doesn't make sense as by 12 30 the phone would already be locked out unless they kept playing with it and not letting it idle, and they would turn off the phone by now...So I'm guessing it's just Rogers mistake or a glitch or something saying the data was used. I dunno.

Anyways, I pretty much gave up looking for a cab company as it seemed independent and it's too hard to track down. I'm just going to report it to the police in case someone turned it in (I talked to a cabbie and he said they usually bring shit to the police station), and MAYBE the airport lost and found in case he dropped it off there, but I'm pretty screwed otherwise.

I am just posting here in case anyone has some inside knowledge maybe on taxi companies, and if there is any way to track it down. Is it worth it to go back to that area and check again or do they not go in the same areas usually? The phone has GPS but there's no way to track it down using that I believe unless you're a cop (any cops here? heh), but I was thinking if maybe a Rogers employee or something could see its location due to the tower triangulation? Even if it's within 1 km, if it's still in the cab it would easily be found.

$100 reward if I find it due to the help of someone here, thanks. By the way I don't know how much longer the battery will last, it was pretty full when I lost it, so since it's idle it should last until at least tomorrow night. Unless me calling it a couple times an hour decreases batter life a lot, then maybe less..
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Sorry to hear that. What brand and type of phone was it?

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
try posting this in every toronto based forum you know? make it shorter so you don't have to read a giant book... im sure someone could help you out.. mention the name of the phone too and how it looks?

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
flex_318
3rd Gear Member

Goodluck man hope you find it. a friend of mine lost his wallet in a taxi in Waterloo, he managed to find the taxi number and who the driver was but never got his wallet back. A week later someone tried opening up a credit card under his name. Hopefully your more fortunate.
flex_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

best of luck, phones are some of the worst things to loose
MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Thanks everyone.

It's a Blackberry bold. I have full backups of EVERYTHING on the phone, which is a week or two old so I won't have the recent messages which are unimportant anyways, but I'll have all my contacts, my notes, my calendar etc (gotta love blackberry). I'm probably just gonna pick up a Curve or something for $100 and rock that for now since I don't want to spend the $ on another Bold.

It's just a tad depressing knowing it's on and just sitting there somewhere. If it was off/stolen, then fine, it's gone, but it's just sitting there and there is nothing I can do *tear*. Once it dies there's really no hope at all.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
Gamite

Did you password lock it?

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Did you try calling it?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #9
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redster View Post
Did you try calling it?
This works too, sometimes someone nice will pick up and return it to you. I've done it before.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

1) Call it, you never know what happens. If someone found it they can easily look in the address book and try to find someone who can get you but if they don't do it getting a call from you might change their mind.

2) A lot of the smartphones can be traced (GPS, 911 features) and I heard of people who got help from their cell phone provider with this.

A friend f mine had his SUV stolen and they found it because he left his phone in the car.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Gamite: It wasn't locked when I lost it but it locks itself after an hour of inactivity so I'm sure it's locked now.

I do keep calling the phone, all the time, but no one answers (it's on silent).

Redster, Rogers won't simply trace a phone like that...you would need to either know someone who works there who can do it or the police can trace it if they need to.

I just called them again now, to see if any calls have been made, and he said nope (they can't make calls if it's locked..), BUT, he said a call was recieved (answered) today at 3:27 pm. I'm really confused, as like I said I keep calling it, several times an hour, and no one answers, and none of my friends said that they reached someone else with my phone or anything so I'm confused...
Old 12-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #12
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzSix View Post
Redster, Rogers won't simply trace a phone like that...you would need to either know someone who works there who can do it or the police can trace it if they need to.
Do you have anything important/confidential on the phone? Report it stolen to the cops and then call Rogers to see what they want in order to trace it..worth a try.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #13
sirex
King Sirex

my phone would use data if u acidentally hit the web browse key. just hitting that key accidentally every now and then and it came to 1$ charge.. I disputed it and told them to turn it off:

could be that someone sat on it and it hit the web button- but i dont know the layout of ur phone.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #14
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

You could have Rogers send a kill command to wipe the handheld if your data is sensitive. At least you can still call it or have Rogers put it in the 'stolen' list.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:50 AM   #15
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
Wow... a Bold? Good luck getting that back. Hope a good Samaritan helps out.

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: