Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #16
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots R View Post
That's called depreciation. All cars have that.

Hell, why stop at 1 year? why not a 5 year old car? or a 10 year old car?
..because 1 year old car still has warranty and it's still like-new (in most cases), with low mileage.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #17
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redster View Post
..because 1 year old car still has warranty and it's still like-new (in most cases), with low mileage.
and a new car is brand-new, and has no mileage.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #18
TNation
Banned

buying a new car makes no sense.
it depreciates EXTREMELY quickly, has shitty gas mileage for the first little while, and you pay a big sticker price for the feeling of "new"
buying a 3 or 4 year old vehicle still under warranty if the mileage is low, won't depreciate as hard, and as in good shape is a better buy for your money. Leasing a new car is best tbh.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #19
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

to prevent arguements here, to each his own when it comes to new/used/leased. There are benefits to each one. Some people prefer paying more but not having to worry about if the car will break down, how much they will have to pay if it breaks down, if its been abused or not, accidents... blah blah you get the point. Used, naturally you pay a lot less but there are always uncertainties associated with it. Leased, not your car, not your problem, cheaper than purchasing and don't have to face the hassle of what to do with your car when you get bored of it... just trade it in and get another.
MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #20
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Quote:
and a new car is brand-new, and has no mileage.
Wow you're a genius.

Yes new car is new, but the question was is it worth paying $5k-$15k MORE for a new car when you can get it 8-12 months old with very low mileage and save that much.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #21
Tommy Boy
bAaAM!

There is pros and cons to everything. In the end your always losing money due to the depreciating value of the car. I wanted new because the new lancer gts comes with a lot more of the bells and whistles and upgrades then the previous years and it looks a lot nicer. I also didnt want to put anything down and just pay money montly.

I plan on trading in the car in 4-5 years(im financing for 7 years). In the end i finance with 0 down and paying 178 Bi weekly. After 4 years this car will cost me $15000 around...if i leased it, the payments would have been a bit more and i couldnt mod or change it and would have been held down by km limits and the lease agreement. If i bought the car for the 30 grand it is worth, after 4-5 years the value would be around 15 grand anyways, therefor i lose 15 grand anyways..

so wat i did made sense for my situation, but for others leasing, buying used or paying in full is better for them.
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #22
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Pay if full if you intend to keep your car for many years as well if you want to make changes to your car - upgrades, installs, etc. I think for hybrids i wouldn't trust owning them and would lease them so I'm not stuck with a $$$ bill after 8 years which is my length of ownership +/- a couple of years.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #23
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Wow you're a genius.

Yes new car is new, but the question was is it worth paying $5k-$15k MORE for a new car when you can get it 8-12 months old with very low mileage and save that much.
bahaha oh god you're hopeless
Old 12-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #24
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Wow you're a genius.

Some people enjoy being the first, and often only owner of a car and to them that may be worth the $5k-$15k. Thats why many "enthusiasts" take delivery of their car right from the factory. Also, a lot of people that lease sports cars drive the piss out of them... how come?... because its a leased vehicle. After they get bored of the car, or they can't afford to lease it (usually 8-12 months later) it will be for sale for some lucky fellow to buy for $5k-$15k less than the sticker price.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #25
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Quote:
bahaha oh god you're hopeless
What an answer.."bahaha..". Idiot.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #26
Tommy Boy
bAaAM!

hehe wat happend between u two guys, its almost christmas, where is the love?
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #27
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
What an answer.."bahaha..". Idiot.
oh yes, i'm the idiot.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:24 PM   #28
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Quote:
oh yes, i'm the idiot.
As long as you know it. Admitting it is the first step, unfortunately cure is not as easy as when it comes to drugs/alcohol.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:41 AM   #29
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

funny thread.

Used underwear go for dirt cheap too!!!
AceOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #30
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Fill it up, drive, then fill it up again. Do the math and you'll get the real fuel economy.
That's the only way to measure your fuel economy.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: