Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Playah
2nd Gear Member

Help: heat not working

Good day guys.....last night, out of nowhere, the heating stopped working on my 530I.....it only blows cold air....the only thing that's keeping me warm are my seats....What do you guys think that went wrong? Thanks a lot for the help
Playah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playah View Post
Good day guys.....last night, out of nowhere, the heating stopped working on my 530I.....it only blows cold air....the only thing that's keeping me warm are my seats....What do you guys think that went wrong? Thanks a lot for the help
Either the heater valve #1 or the Auxilliary Water Pump Motor #2, located in the left side of the engine compartment , attached to the left strut tower - may have failed. You need to find out if they are passing the hot coolant to the heater core(s). There are two hoses attached to the engine and three that go to the heater core(s), you need to feel the hoses to see if they are warm or use one of those infered temperture sensors guns to check the temprature of the hoses. You should make sure you check the fuses in the glove box and the relays in electronics box located under the right side cabin filter housing.

I'm afraid that all the info that I can provide as I haven't had to trouble shoot this area.

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HeaterValve&AuxMotor.JPG (45.1 KB, 222 views)

Last edited by MLue1; 11-30-2008 at 12:29 AM.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:15 AM   #3
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

I have them for sale, just need to test them first...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Playah
2nd Gear Member

MLue1 thanks a lot....I will look into that asap....
eurostyle: I ll keep u updated via IM regarding if those parts are needed...

Thanks again
Playah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:01 AM   #5
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

MLue how would you go about checking the Relays?

Could it be that he's having same issues as me, with the contrul unit needing to be reset.

Last edited by Dado 540; 12-01-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Dado 540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
europrince
6th Gear Member

I've been coming across a lot of threads with you guys having issues with your e39s. As much as I enjoyed owning a 540 for 5 years, I'm semi glad to have sold it. e39s are old now and will now have high repair/maintenance costs. I wish you well with your vehicle.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #7
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado 540 View Post
MLue how would you go about checking the Relays?

Could it be that he's having same issues as me, with the control unit needing to be reset.
Dado, he is not getting any heat so the obvious thing is to look at the basic requirement to get heat, he didn't say he is having any other problems.

The description of your problems was completely different as far as I understood the air was being directed in an uncontrolled manner and based on the fact that the air flaps are controlled by stepper motors which are controlled by the control unit...I only suggested what the manual said to do.

Relays in general can be a b1tch to check, swapping with a buddy's car would be the easiest but you could use a volt meter or by opening the relay and manually actuating the contacts to see if the motor or device that the relay operates is activated.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #8
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playah View Post
MLue1 thanks a lot....I will look into that asap....
eurostyle: I ll keep u updated via IM regarding if those parts are needed...
Playah, any luck solving this problem.

I stopped by Town and Country BMW to pickup parts today and I spoke to one of the apprentice mechanics who was on his break (a really great guy to give me these tips). Apparently this is the type of work the dealership gives Apprentices to perform.

Here are some tips that he gave me to troubleshoot your no heat problem.

If it is the floor vents that are running cold then the easiest way to check if it is a heater valve is to try the following. Set both temp settings to full warm and then compare the output from the 2 sides. If only one side goes cold then it is probably a valve.

If you still get cold air at times out "both" sides" then it will not be the coolant heater valves but most likely the auxillary water pump - or something blocking the flow. Sometimes you can get a faulty auxillary waterpump to start operating by tapping it with a small hammer but you will need to replace it soon.

Quote:
MLue...Could it be that he's having same issues as me, with the contrul unit needing to be reset.
Dado, I didn't forget the problem you are having,...the Apprentice says that the Climate Control Unit (CCU) has it's own diagnostic codes, normally he can download the fault codes and if it is just needs resetting it can be done in minutes. If the unit is not fixable a new one is really expensive but you maybe able to find an exact replacement you can swap it out but he recommends checking the fault codes first.

If you guys already solved your problem(s) then hopefully this may help someone else out.

Last edited by MLue1; 12-12-2008 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 12-13-2008, 03:31 AM   #9
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Thanks Lue, i still haven't taken mine in. But thats great info. Any idea how much they would charge for this scan? Regular BMW dealership fee for the engine diagnostic or something a bit cheaper...hum?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Thanks Lue, i still haven't taken mine in. But thats great info. Any idea how much they would charge for this scan? Regular BMW dealership fee for the engine diagnostic or something a bit cheaper...hum?
Sorry, I have no idea what the charges would be. Maybe you could go see if the CCU in the 540 that Eurostyle is dismantling is the same as yours, alot of dismantlers won't warranty electronic parts especially BMW (no kidding eh!). Maybe you could work out something with him, if the swap out works you pay him, if not no harm no foul.

My 2 cents.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:14 PM   #11
BoostedMX
All Eyes On Me

Guys, I'm having a similar problem. It has happened to me once before, but after turning the car off and waited the next day in the morning the air actually worked.

Like tonight. I went out with (air) working, but then when I got in and turned it on nothing worked. I might no air was coming out nowhere.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:18 AM   #12
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedMX View Post
Guys, I'm having a similar problem. It has happened to me once before, but after turning the car off and waited the next day in the morning the air actually worked.

Like tonight. I went out with (air) working, but then when I got in and turned it on nothing worked. I might no air was coming out nowhere.
I'm asuming that since you're in Windsor and it's winter that the "air" that you're refering to is the air comming out of the vents and not the AC. If so then the fan may not be working... could be a blown fuse or connection problem or FSU.

The FSU controls the power to the fan, it is basically a resistor pack with heat sink head. It can can develop an internal short and then your heater fan won't blow. Sometimes the fan will only blow on high or vary fan speeds all over the place. It can also continuously draw power resulting in a dead battery.

The FSU is located on the right hand side of the heater box or below or to the left of the glove box. It is cramped down there but to get to it you will have to remove the carpeted lower trim panel on the right side of the console. Take a flashlight and look up. You will see a small harness and attached to the harness is the FSU. Warning you may have to fiddle a bit to get it out. The part number of the FSU is 64-11-6-923-204, the new ones are a little larger and better designed (go figure eh!) than the old ones...do not replace with a used part.

Last edited by MLue1; 12-21-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:27 AM   #13
BoostedMX
All Eyes On Me

Well yes. Air as in Heat. I didn't want to say Heat and let you guys think that air was coming out, but not warm.

Yes, the fan was not working, no heating was coming out. I had it on full and nothing. Like I said, this has happened before. I just hope it's fine tomorrow morning.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:46 AM   #14
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

If the fan is not working i think it the unit under the glove gox right beside your left leg. As MLue mentioned
Old 12-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #15
BoostedMX
All Eyes On Me

Well guys. I'm starting to notice that it turns on when the car is warm. Once again today at work I started the car and half way home it started working. I'm thinking it's a bad connection now. WTF!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: