Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
europrince
6th Gear Member

Preview: 2010 Porsche Panamera

I'm having a hard time deciding what a like better: this, the Maseratti Quattroporte or the Mercedes CLS. They are all gorgeous cars!

http://www.nationalpost.com/todays_p...tml?id=1002820

Comfort and style in a new package

Patricia Cancilla, National Post
Published: Friday, November 28, 2008

Porsche's new Panamera Gran Turismo may be reminiscent of the automaker's sports cars, but it is "much more than a blown-up 911," says Michael Mauer, chief designer at Porsche.

Mauer was speaking to a select group of automotive editors, including Yours Truly, the only Canadian invited, who got a sneak peek at the Panamera last month in the U.S.

Mauer calls the Panamera a "space coupe" -- offering the utility and versatility of a station wagon with the performance of a sports car and comfort of a gran turismo.

Although we did not get to drive the new Panamera, we did have a chance to sit behind the wheel. I may not be able to speak to its performance, but I can say that the spacious four-door is the ultimate in luxurious comfort. The creamy, soft leather seats envelope you as you ensconce yourself in them. The Panamera is certainly more luxurious than any sports car Porsche has ever produced, with beautiful wood and aluminum details in the cabin, heated and cooled seats for the driver and all three passengers and a top sound system among many other luxury features.

Measuring 4,970 millimetres overall, the Panamera is 1,931 mm wide and 1,418 high, making it wider and lower than comparable four-doors, says Porsche. At a petite five-foot-four, I could live in the Panamera. But how does a taller person fare?

Just fine, says the very tall president of Porsche, Dr. Wendelin Wiedeking. He says he made sure he could get in and out of the vehicle easily during testing of the design. Wiedeking jokes that he was "forced to drive" competitors such as the BMW 7 Series and Maserati Quattroporte to see what makes them work or not work and try to solve any similar design issues in the Panamera. In a dramatic demonstration of just how expansive the four-door's interior is, an amazon of a model towering over the tallest of the Porsche executives inher four-inchheels emerged from the back seat to the oohs and aahs of the tiny group of journalists.

From the outside, the Panamera's looks are unmistakably Porsche, with its visible exhaust tips and V-shaped seams along the hood and rear window tapering in the rear. The automaker says it wanted to make the four-door look as sporty as the 911 -- it has succeeded.

The demonstration of the Panamera Turbo spoiler unfolding to the side (at speeds above 300 kilometres an hour) elicited more oohs and aahs.

Editors invited to the sneak peak honoured Porsche's wishes not to photograph the Panamera, as the automaker did not officially release photos to the general media until this week.

The Panamera features new V6 and V8 engines with outputs of between 300 and 500 horsepower, along with turbocharged versions featuring direct fuel injection. There's a choice of either a manual six-speed transmission or Porsche's seven-speed Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK), or double-clutch gearbox.

In addition to the rear-wheel-drive models, the top-line Panamera comes standard with all-wheel drive. AWD is also available on other models as an option.

Porsche also announced a hybrid version of the Panamera. The automaker says it will be a "full hybrid" with a fully electric motor and gas engine, which will combine to reduce fuel consumption by 28% over the non-hybrid Panamera.

The Panamera will make its world debut next spring in Shanghai and will be in dealerships in late summer.

The Panamera will be built at Porsche's Leipzig plant, while the engines will be produced at the automaker's main plant in Zuffenhausen.

Porsche plans to sell 20,000 Panameras a year. One-third of them are targeted for the North American market.

Pricing will be announced next spring.

pcancilla@nationalpost.com
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
meh. its ok. I'd rather a 911 and a quattroporte than just one of these. And since a quattroporte is now like 45K, and 911's are getting cheap (particularly 996's), who knows.

then again, some people can't/dont want more than one car. I'm sure they'll find a market.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
europrince
6th Gear Member

^ yeah, the Quattroporte is certainly a looker!

Last edited by europrince; 11-28-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

+1 on the Quattroporte! i think porsche should stick to what it does best. Making 2 door sports cars. I was never a fan of the cayenne either.
Jay
Old 11-28-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^i agree, i love the looks but the GT just looks too good. I much rather not have kids and drive a GT.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
TNation
Banned

not a fan. Stick to 2 door's Porsche and get a sense of the competition. The GTR destroyed the 911's legacy.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
Mikey83
3rd Gear Member

I'll stick to the BMW 7 series line hah

2003 745Li Titanium Sliver Metallic w/ Black Interior
PDC, ACC, Cold Weather Package, Convenience Package, Sunshades, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound Package.
21" OEM Style 128, Angel iBright V3 w/ Matching Fogs, H&R Springs, BTUM8000, LED Side/Front Markers, White Bulb Interior/License Plate,
Stealth Bulb Signals, 15mm Rear Spacers, ACS Style Roof and Trunk Spoilers, Debadged
Mikey83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Castel
4th Gear Member

I say the CLS rules this market segment. def a sexy car.
Castel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

ladies and gentleman, introducing porsche AG on crack
AceOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
STALKER
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to STALKER
I'll take a CLS63 thanks.

2008 AW/FR E90 M3
//RAC RG63//Volk TE37//AP Racing BBK//Akrapovic Exhaust//Dinan SW//Dinan Intake//JRZ RS1 Coilovers//Dinan Monoball Control Arm Bearings//VRS Diffuser//
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:36 PM   #11
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Dont like at all.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #12
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
meh. its ok. I'd rather a 911 and a quattroporte than just one of these. And since a quattroporte is now like 45K, and 911's are getting cheap (particularly 996's), who knows.

then again, some people can't/dont want more than one car. I'm sure they'll find a market.
Yea, but the Quattroporte is probably a lot more expensive to maintain than a cls. Then again, Mercedes has had reliability issues the last 10 or so years, so maybe not.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:28 PM   #13
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
wow, the quattroporte and that, look like complete shit... CLS is the only one that looks right. I guss it's as they say.. the original is always the best

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:22 PM   #14
5thseries
biggerthen3

Whats with all these cars becoming 4 door?

First the lambo.. now this..
5thseries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:51 PM   #15
ROCKETMAN
6th Gear Member

>>> aston martin rapide <<<

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: