Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-26-2008, 03:26 AM   #1
korne30
1st Gear Newbie

suggestions of great mods

i just bought a 96 328is. im planning on doing the occassional track day, and enjoying some spirited driving. i was wondering what mods and parts would be of great interest to me to improve power and handling of my car. basically most bang for your buck and most common upgrade people do to their non M 3-series cars. i just bought m3 front brake conversion, x-brace and limited slip is coming next week.
korne30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:39 AM   #2
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

chip
AceOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:00 AM   #3
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Well I was going to recommend the LSD but looks like you got that. It would be the best bang for your buck. But I just got a 328is this year as well.

Here is the list of engine mods I did in order with estimations of how much power you could get out of them according to the manufacturers:

Software ($400) +5-10hp
Exhaust ($1000) +5-10hp
Intake(CAI) ($100) +.000001hp haha. But if will contribute to getting more power with the software and exhaust
Fan Delete ($100) More throttle response, couple horsepower maybe
ASC Delete ($30) +1hp, more throttle response
M50 Manifold (Big Performance Gain) ($350) +20-30hp
3.91 LSD ($250)

So after all that I'm up to 198 rwhp which is almost 235hp.

Still to do are cams and underdrive pullies.

The mods are easy to do yourself. I didn't know much about cars until I got this and I've learned so much.

Suspension wise, you can get some new springs, sway bars, maybe some tower braces. Or if you want to take it further, DDMTuning.com sells good coilovers for $750 US

Here is a good thread on bf.c for all the mods you can do:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=544874

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread

Last edited by doogee; 11-26-2008 at 05:13 AM.
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:35 AM   #4
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

People are forgetting the most important component on your car. The brakes.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

My opinion I would get the suspension, good tires and brakes.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
doogee
Stance is Gay.

^^Good point

I havent been doing enough suspension. But that is what next year will be.

Tires make a big difference on the track. Get some dedicated summers.

And brake wise, you don't need to run out and get a BBK. Just get a performance pad like PBR Axxis Ultimates, Hawk HP+, something in that area. If you feel you need more, then upgrade to a BBK.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

M3 Brake converion cross drilled/slotted+pbr delux with uuc stainless steel brake lines Motul dot 5 race brake fluid (careful though you wont be able to run a rim under 17") ,koni coilovers, X-Brace and uuc subframe bushings to keep things stiff and solid. eibach sway bars for superb handling around turns, M suspension, 3.38 diff for great acceleration! Supersprint exhaust and short ram intake for added breathability, uuc short shift kit for precise shifts. And best but deffenatly not least S52! Stock for now but will see what happens come spring!

Not to mention other stuff to be safe while your at it, new shock mounts, tranny/motor mounts, ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rods.

Jay

Last edited by spoony_prelude; 11-26-2008 at 09:34 AM.
spoony_prelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
DANIMAL
TYRE ETR

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Here is the list of engine mods I did in order with estimations of how much power you could get out of them according to the manufacturers:

Software ($400) +5-10hp
Exhaust ($1000) +5-10hp
Intake(CAI) ($100) +.000001hp haha. But if will contribute to getting more power with the software and exhaust
Fan Delete ($100) More throttle response, couple horsepower maybe
ASC Delete ($30) +1hp, more throttle response
M50 Manifold (Big Performance Gain) ($350) +20-30hp
3.91 LSD ($250)

So after all that I'm up to 198 rwhp which is almost 235hp.

Still to do are cams and underdrive pullies.
Hwy Drive much?

OP
I would wait to do software until you do all the engine mods you want so you don't have to buy it twice, I am doing just that on my 328. It would be a nice jump but with only M3 cams, fan delete, CAI, and exhaust I am getting about 190RWHP/180-190RWtq(w/jamming Vanos). Still have the M50, BBTB, pullies and software to do.

Also get the stainless line kit from UUC including the clutch line. CDV delete is definitely a great mod, I have no idea why I waited so long to do it.

As for the M3 brake conversion, it is worth it if you can find the parts cheap. otherwise for the ease of installation and time required you might as well buy a BBK that fits on your car. If you decide to stay OEM, upgrade your whole system to M3 parts including master cylinder and ABS pump. The brakes were designed to work as a system for a reason.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
If you're gonna just auto-x, you dont need upgraded brakes. Get good pads and rotors, you'll be fine. If you're gonna track the car, i'd probably do M3 brakes in front.

For power, get a differential first. i'd recommend a 3.38, but they're pricey. Dont get a 3.91, they're not very practical, it essentially gives you the effect of dropping a gear (your 5th becomes what your 4th was with your stock 2.93)

If you cant afford a 3.38, ger a 3.23 or 3.15, make sure it has LSD.

Second i would do suspension. odds are your stock suspension is tired anyway. Make sure you get good shocks/struts to match whatever springs you get. Going too low will not improve handling.

I'd also pull out your spare tire and jack (get CAA) and debaffle your airbox (search)

I definatly would not bother with aftermarket intakes, or exhausts, they have very little gains on a stock motor (exhausts in particular, you'll get more gains from the weight you save than the free-er flowing exhaust)

If you really want more power once you've done all that, first i'd do a m50 manifold swap. Then cams. Only then would i do software. (if you want to be cheap, you can just run M3 software)

I wouldn't bother with pullies. If you're gonna drive the car in the winter, or daily it, i wouldn't delete ASC+T.

The performance mods i have done to my 328 are below, as well as if i would do them again (y or n)
M3 brakes (y)
H&R sport w/ billstein(y)
3.38LSD (hell yes)
pulleys (N)
s52 software (n)
debaffled airbox(y)
m50 manifold is still not installed, so can't comment. But its the only performance thing i'm really considering other than forced induction.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325iGuy View Post
Hwy Drive much?
I do quite a bit of highway, and I was worried about gas mileage but it's actually been surprisingly good.

I've only lost about 1 MPG, I just had to relearn the gears and how to be efficient with them.

But I would recommend a 3.23 or 3.38 instead, I just didn't have the money to fork out for the 3.38, and needed an lsd for the winter.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:44 PM   #11
JazzM
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by korne30 View Post
i just bought a 96 328is. im planning on doing the occassional track day, and enjoying some spirited driving. i was wondering what mods and parts would be of great interest to me to improve power and handling of my car. basically most bang for your buck and most common upgrade people do to their non M 3-series cars. i just bought m3 front brake conversion, x-brace and limited slip is coming next week.
You're going in the right direction... M3 brakes make a big difference on the 328, as does the X-brace. Which LSD did you get? With the 5spd your best bet is the 3.15 or the 3.23.

Id suggest doing suspension first before you do any power mods, especially if you want to AutoX or go to the track a little. Power mods will put you in higher classes and are not that useful on the track. its about being able to put the power down with proper suspension. If you want to go fast straight, buy a 'stang.

Koni + Vogtland is a good combination. Its adjustable (rebound on the shocks) and the springs are progressive with a good range of travel and a nice lowered stance. Not too harsh, not too soft. FYI, this is the NASA Spec 3 series suspension setup.

For sway bars you have lots of choices, H&Rs are cheap and very good but the key is to change your front links to use the M3 style links that attach to the shocks rather then the control arms.

96-99 M3 upper strut bearings switched left to right and right to left will give you a nice front camber addition as well as the offset e30 M3 lower control arm bushings will add a little bit of caster and improve overall handling and stability. You'll need to get an alignment after you do all that...

Anyways, good luck and happy modding!

T.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #12
archrival
E36 Addict

3.91 LSD FTW

I cannot stress enough how important GOOD tires are. A good set of springs and struts/shocks will make you very happy and increase driving enjoyment. Make sure all your LCAB's and ball joints are tight as well as the common RTABs. Good pads on Brembo blanks will suffice for everyday driving and im sure for minor track use as well. Ivan mentioned exhaust not making a difference but I did notice my 328 responded nicely to the 3" catback. Not really sure if my cosmos intake did a thing but it sounds nice under WOT.
As of right now I do not have cams in my car but would like to put a set in and see what kind of gains i could get as well as m50 manifold.
archrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #13
328is
tire don't like me

the most noticeable diference i see with my 328 was the pulley kit. I don't know how mutch hp gain, but the throtle response was awesome ! (for 250$ !!!)
Old 11-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^really? Which one do you have? I have the rogue engineering kit, i barely noticed any gain at all.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #15
328is
tire don't like me

i had the turner kit, i think it is rated at 6 hp but, like i said, it was the throtle response that was very impressive

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: