Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: what option are you
class 1 under 40,000 25 25.25%
class 2 over 40 thousand but under 70 32 32.32%
over 70 thousand but under 100 21 21.21%
i make Nice cash over 100,000 21 21.21%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

Question What do you do, and how you got there?

Hey maxbimmer,

Im slaving away at school right now and i just wanted to start a Poll on what kind of job you have and how you got there?

with the kind of education you have and how much money you make

for example...

"I dropped out of highschool and became a plumber.. been doing it for 15 years..i make 50,000 a year

or "i have a Ph.D in human biology, been doing it for 10 years, studied at harvard medical school, i want to keep my income private but i make more then 100,000"

*mainly want to know how you guys got your E60's and E90's lolol

or if your a student tell me what your taking in school and poll and say how much you think youll make when you get out of school.

Last edited by ericdalinda; 11-24-2008 at 09:26 AM.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

might as well start i guess.

Graduated in January, Accounting.

Working as a Junior Auditor at a public accounting firm @ 45k. Still on my 3 month probationary period which will end January 31st, at which point I "may" be offered a full-time position with a salary increase (to what I dont know, probably needs to be agreed on) and benefits (medical, blah blah, whatever else they offer).
MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
VSanj
6th Gear Member

I graduated in 2001 from York with a urban planning degree. Couldnt get a job with the city. Got a job with Caterpillar instead.....big yellow construction machines.....slaved away in the office for a couple of years 9-5 shit salary. I used to do the commision statements for the sales reps and im like, those fools make some serious cash. Put my hat in the ring for sales. Got the job, havent looked back. Broke away for a year to pursue mortgage brokerage......didnt really like it.

back to selling construction equipment with a different company. if you are confidant in your sales ability and the product is good, sales is the way to go. Commision FTW!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Fel
Not Banned

Spent 4 years at Western having a good time and earning a degree that does nothing for me.

Since then, used my other skills with computers and now I'm working for HP doing data center management. Not a bad job, but boring as hell.... 9-5 desk job. I need a change of career, I'm sick of staring at computer screens. Still, the pay is pretty decent.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
Spent 4 years at Western having a good time and earning a degree that does nothing for me.

Since then, used my other skills with computers and now I'm working for HP doing data center management. Not a bad job, but boring as hell.... 9-5 desk job. I need a change of career, I'm sick of staring at computer screens. Still, the pay is pretty decent.
did you have any sort of education to show to someone that you are good in computers??? what did you take at western??
Old 11-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Harry
4th Gear Member

I work as a Senior Network Admin. I took economics in University for 2 years but didn't see it all the way through. I have no formal computer education. I started out as a system builder for a VAR and changed paths towards a corporate environment. I am not second in command in the data centre that I work in and manage approx $50million worth of network gear and servers.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdalinda View Post
did you have any sort of education to show to someone that you are good in computers??? what did you take at western??
Nope, no formal computer education... just years of experience.

I majored in film, with journalism on the side. Not much you can do with a Western film degree, let me tell you...
Old 11-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

I guess I'll chime in.

I started working for the Toronto Public Library when I was 16 as the low of the low making 6.85 an hour, with few part time hours about 6years ago. I slowly but surely built my senority, experience and knowledge, and have been slowly but surely moving up. I currently am still considered PT but do nearly full time hours, and as is fall under the lowish end of your "class" 2.
I am going to college for a Info. technician program that will allow me to up some more and add about 10-20K to my annual salary, and then i guess work from there...

What I have to say about my job? It is boring, but if you work at the right location, with the right people you can make it fun. I deal with assholes and people who think the world revolves around them everyday, so I need to be stern and by the book most of the time. I am in a lot of confrontation on a day to day basis about all sorts of things. I trhive on it.
The good thing about my job are the benefits, time off, sick days, etc. I also have a slim chance of getting fired or loosing money due to a slow time(like people on commission or in the private/corporate/w .e ) sector. I guess job security is what it falls under. I don't need to take my job home with me(mentally or physically) and I can;t say I am extremely stressed. I work shifts, so I do night and weekends depending on my schedule, but I don;t always mind it. It will be nice for when I have kids one day.

Is it my dream job, definitely not. I have become comfortable and do not see a need to change and start at the bottom again so I;ve decided to make a career out of it. Maybe do something on the side one day.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec Modded
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

can the people who make over 100 chime in??? i want to see how you guys got to were you are.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
finished sheridan 2 year IT course when i was 19/20yrs old. started doing desktop support with government health agency then moved up to server hardware install and support.
$50,000~ and going up probably near 55k by april. i turned 23 in october.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
I go to Ryerson for Business Management, Was formerly in the ITM program but switched my major to business, I want to minor in ITM though. Generally I'm expecting to be in class 2(using your poll as a spectrum) right out of Univ. But I guess you never know.

My brother made a little bit north of 40 grand doing his internship this previous year. But he's in the electrical engineering and engineers generally make a lot of money. I assume it's only going to increase for him once he finishes.

What program are you in and where do you go?

95 530i|Modifications - Work.
ACS_DAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #12
davericher20
black and blue

I have a high school education

When I was 18 I studied for and wrote a government exam to become a personal financial analyst, have a part-time business under a large financial firm.
Started dating my girlfriend a couple years ago and hit it off with her parents. They are my clients also lol. Her dad hired me as a sales rep at his company starting at $48,000 per year plus bonuses and expenses which works out to just under 70k a year selling medical equipment and supplies to doctors, hospitals, labs, tattoo parlours, funeral homes...............etc. I turned 25 last month.
How I got here? I would say personality and who I knew. And luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #13
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis View Post
finished sheridan 2 year IT course when i was 19/20yrs old. started doing desktop support with government health agency then moved up to server hardware install and support.
$50,000~ and going up probably near 55k by april. i turned 23 in october.
Damn dude, they're treating you well eh?
Get me in there... I already know the center pretty well... haha.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #14
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdalinda View Post
can the people who make over 100 chime in??? i want to see how you guys got to were you are.
a lot of people who make over 100k spend a lot of time at what they do, with the bulk of the time remaining with their families. they don't have time for forum chats.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #15
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock

Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
Monarch Construction: Office Troll. lol

I'm currently in school for architectural technology which i now have little to none interest in. Looking at other options I guess. I dunno.

Also work for StreetConcepts: Promo for the Competition Series & other Clients and manage the Underground Drift Series. Hella Fun and get paid to pretty much go to every Automotive Tuner related event. Got the job pretty much through contacts. Hopefully soon become Team StreetConcepts Drift Driver in DMCC.. ahhh dreaams

Last edited by Chris de la Cruz; 11-24-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Chris de la Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: