Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
theMitch
1st Gear Newbie

Looking at getting my first BMW and need help

Hi guys i have always loved BMWs since i was a kid and now 19 and a collage student I want to get my own. Just a couple questions for you BMW fanatics on here.

I was looking for a coupe e36 3series model and was looking at the price range iam looking at. I have about $7000 right now.

Also how many KM's are these cars good until, what range should i avoid?

Also i know i may not be able to get a 3 liter engine as those are the most expensive but if i do get like a 318 for example is there many mods i can add to boost its power?

Thanks
theMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Take this advice from someone who has been around!
GET the MOST expensive, WELL maintained, highest Model you can find! You will save yourself tons of money, aggrivation, and bloodied fingers over the period you own the vehicle.

There are countless(all you have to do is search) people who cheap out and but 318's/325's, that only end up converting to a larger motor or starting the project, abandoning it half way, and getting what they should have gotten in the first place.

There is no real, cheap way to make a 318 fast. Short of a DASC(supercharger) that only bumps you to 325/328 power.

If you have 7K $ to spend, try and buy a 325/328 for about 6K and halve that 1K cushion to do some start up maintenance, all used cars need at least 500$ in immediate work. Whether it be tires, pads, oil flushes, coolant flushes, belts, suspension bushing etc. Doesn't have to be anything major.

Now second part of yuor question, your question shouldn't be "How many Km's is too much". What you should be concerned with the MAINTENANCE of that car. There are cars out there, with 100K that I wouldn't spend 300$ on, and there are cars ith 300 000 that have received proper maintenance, no abuse, no neglect, etc, etc that are worth more than low mileage neglected cars.

Browse the For sale, see what is for sale, what you want in a car, etc. Try and buy one with modifications to save yourself money, just make sure it hasn't been butchered.

Lastly, PLEASE use the e36 section AND SEARCH! We HATE having to re-peat the same thing over and over.

Also, if you are local and have no car knowledge, ask someone on the board to come see a car with you for a case of beer, or better yet, take it for a PPI to a shop you trust.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec-ST Tuning Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
theMitch
1st Gear Newbie

thanks for the advice it was much help
Old 11-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

I agree with bmwm5lover.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Before you look at the e36, make sure you call your insurance company and get a quote. Find out how much a 97 BMW 328i would cost you for example. Never buy a car without getting a quote.

Search this forum and the internet for the e36 common problems, and look for them when you are out searching.

Always get your BMW inspected before buying.

Shoot for a 97+ 328i, with about 150K. That should put you in the $7K range.
It's been a while since I'ved owned my E36.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

It also depends on what type of a car you want. You can go for a ready to run, nothing to do, basic car; a fix-me upper; some with some mods, etc. Don't rush and take your time. Impulse is your worst enemy.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
if you want, you can get a 318-they are cheap, and add a blower for about $4000. I've been daily driving mine for 4 years with this setup with no problem.

by comparison, 325 / 328 supercharger setups cost twice as much, and turbo's require lots of $ in maintenance & reliabiliy.

dasc

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform

Last edited by BMW_7; 11-15-2008 at 10:11 PM.
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:28 AM   #8
theMitch
1st Gear Newbie

thanks alot guys all of this stuff is much help
Old 11-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #9
TNation
Banned

To be honest man... wait until you're done school and buy an e36, e46 would be even more affordable than.
i know i might be going against the grain on everything.. but e36's aren't too reliable. They take a lot of maintainence, although its not so bad if you can do it all yourself. I bought one as a college student a year and a half ago and got burned bad, and i bought one from a dealership. Buy something reliable, like a 98-2002 Nissan Maxima (it'll be reliable, quicker, and will be faster if its a 5 speed), than when you're done school, buy a nice e46 M3 which will be cheap in 3-4 years. I looked at tons of e36's lately for my friend, and tons of them had lots of problems, and lots and lots of rust. That's my 0.02 cents, take it from someone who threw 4500 into 98 e36 323is in one month.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:46 AM   #10
theMitch
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
To be honest man... wait until you're done school and buy an e36, e46 would be even more affordable than.
i know i might be going against the grain on everything.. but e36's aren't too reliable. They take a lot of maintainence, although its not so bad if you can do it all yourself. I bought one as a college student a year and a half ago and got burned bad, and i bought one from a dealership. Buy something reliable, like a 98-2002 Nissan Maxima (it'll be reliable, quicker, and will be faster if its a 5 speed), than when you're done school, buy a nice e46 M3 which will be cheap in 3-4 years. I looked at tons of e36's lately for my friend, and tons of them had lots of problems, and lots and lots of rust. That's my 0.02 cents, take it from someone who threw 4500 into 98 e36 323is in one month.
sad but true.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #11
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMitch View Post
sad but true.
thank you.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: