Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #61
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemmer View Post
Good timing of this thread. I'm looking @ getting my son a new board since he had a growth spurt - he's about 6'1, 140 lbs, and has size 10.5 feet. He's been boarding casually for four years and will go to places like Blue Mtn. Can anyone recommend a setup that I can research? Thanks.
Since no one answered your question I will ..

For the board you might want to ask your son what brand he likes and style of riding he does. There are more flexible boards and less flexible boards that are meant for different types of riding.

http://http://www.abc-of-snowboardin...snowboards.asp

now you probably might want to go with an all mountain board and its what they usually sell in stores like Skiis & Bikes. The guys there are really good with answering questions and the pricing is pretty good compared to other places.

For bindings I recommend a steel type (not plastic) binding with good metal clips so they hold good without breaking. I personally dont like the burton type as they have a cup over the front of the shoe type of binding. Most snowboarders dont go for this as it isnt really great so you might want to go with Salmon ,Ride, Forum, or K2. I just checked and I believe Burton finally changed there style and went away from there cup type bindings this year.

Boots .. its a personal choice .. whatever feels comfortable. Might as well go with the son to try out as many pairs as possible. I was testing out a pair last year that were the no lace type .. you just turn this wheel and it tightens the boots for you. Someone at the store told me to stay away from that type because it bought them the year before and he said it broke on him.
I'm good with the old fashion lace anyway

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #62
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW BMXer View Post
I went out Sat, snowboarding in the morning then rode indoors at night, then hockey tonight.

I am in pain.
Me too. I went skiing at Blue on Saturday. Skied aggressively and am still paying for it today, lol. Back again this Saturday!
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #63
sirex
King Sirex

LOL so I left for work this morning and infront of my house there was a pair of skiis.. Im like uh wtf? Somoene threw out their trash or something? DIdn't think anything of it. When I got home they were still there, picked em up, took em inside washem em off they had some dust on them/etc... Hey these are not bad, they are my size acutally, except my boots dont fit the bindings- thats okay though those bindings look a little abused.. So now I got a new pair of skiis hahahhaa.. Not bad for A Monday afternoon.

Some old Dynastars "magnetic" or some shit I dont know. But the base looks fine. MAybe ill sharpen the edges/wax it and it should be good to go, change up the bindings and I got my self a free pair of skiis! woot.

On another topic has anyone here sharpened their own edges? I tried it on my skiis, but never got a chance to see if I had messed them up or not.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #64
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious View Post
exactly what i was thinking. i had a hell of a time finding a double wide board for my size 13's... heres a pic of my setup going up the lift ...
looks like your boot hangs off just as much as mine.

I changed up my setup again - same board but diff boots / bindings:

Lamar Mission 07
Ride S bindings
SIMS Sage boots

feels a lot better, and the boot actually fits the binding, not like those cheap plastic Lamar MX250
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #65
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

need some help guys. So this lamar mission 07 I have is 26cm at the narrowest part of the board. I found a burton Bullet which is 27cm at the narrowest point. I'm checking it out tomorrow.

You think the extra 10mm would make a diff?

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...QAdIdZ91023983
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #66
5thseries
biggerthen3

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
goofy FTW!!
Goof... Regular ftw!
5thseries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #67
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
in case you didnt notice .. lots of boarders in a thread thats about a new board... OOUUTTTT -->

here is something for skiiers that boarders dont have .. dont want...

haha.
Informative thread.
Not that I really ski or snowboard, but to be fair BMW's come with the built in ski bag, not a built in snowboard bag.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #68
black bnr32
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim .E. View Post
need some help guys. So this lamar mission 07 I have is 26cm at the narrowest part of the board. I found a burton Bullet which is 27cm at the narrowest point. I'm checking it out tomorrow.

You think the extra 10mm would make a diff?

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...QAdIdZ91023983
You should be good with the Lamar Jim. As I mentioned earlier, a 26cm waist should be right in line with your 13 boot and I think you'll be stoked. As a side note, that Burton is a little over priced.

If you are really unhappy with the Lamar at the moment, ebay and Vancouver craigslist are probably the best value for boards in my opinion. Don't hesitate to PM me if you find something you like and want an opinion. I wheel and deal snowboard equipment all the time and feel I have a decent grasp on the market.
black bnr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #69
sirex
King Sirex

Off topic guys but can anyone recommend a good place to get Bindings for my skiis? and also get my skiis edges done/and waxed? thanks alot
Old 12-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #70
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
Off topic guys but can anyone recommend a good place to get Bindings for my skiis? and also get my skiis edges done/and waxed? thanks alot
Skiis and Biikes is kinda expensive, but they can do a proper full tuneup, including resurfacing the base and profiling the edges.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #71
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
Skiis and Biikes is kinda expensive, but they can do a proper full tuneup, including resurfacing the base and profiling the edges.
they also carry good equipment oppose to other shops like national sports. If you have any suggestions on shops please post them.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Old 12-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #72
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_M5 View Post
haha.
Informative thread.
Not that I really ski or snowboard, but to be fair BMW's come with the built in ski bag, not a built in snowboard bag.
mine never came with a ski bag .. maybe they were trying to tell you something

Old 12-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #73
born slippy
wasting time.

Some insight to all those posting boards and their set ups in this thread. (I have been riding 13 years, lived in Whistler for a while and still currently work in a shop)

Waist width really does matter. If your boots are larger than a size 10 or 11 you definitely need a wide board. Normally you should downsize a whole boot size from the size your street shoes are anyway. Also make sure your bindings should be centered on the board. A good way to look at your setup to check overhang is to put your boots in the bindings and then on your carpet or floor tilt board up on its edge and check to make sure that the entire effective edge touches the floor before any part of your boot does.

Board Length. Depends on your weight much more than height. Being an average sized adult, and if you are purely riding in Ontario, a 157 will typically be the median size for which you should judge all other boards. 154 if you are slightly smaller or are a more park or overall more playful rider. A board 160+ if you are learning will only inhibit your ability to make proper turns.

Boots are the most important part to your set up. If your feet hurt or are in any way uncomfortable you won't enjoy it nearly as much as you could be. Also, they will probably have the longest shelf life out of anything in your set-up. So spend a significant amount of your budget on them. Try to find some with a heat moldable liner if possible.

Stance. The basic stance which you should try when starting should probably be between 10-15 degrees on your front foot and negative 7-10 on your back. Duck gives you more stability, especially when learning. The only people who really ride a positive stance on both feet are hardcore carvers. Weirdos. Also, the wider your stance, the more stable you will be, and the easier initiating turns will be. The only downside is you do lose a bit of stability at high speed. Some of you guys on here really should try widening up your stances for an afternoon just to experiment. Don't get set in your ways and never play with it. After 13 years, I still adjust mine all the time. Also when learning don't put too much forward lean on your bindings.

Feel free to ask anything about your setups and I will do the best I can to give an proper answer.

Lately I have been picking up a new set up every season. Here is this years... 2009 Stepchild Simon Board in a 156 and Burton P1 Bindings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (130.3 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by born slippy; 12-06-2008 at 05:01 PM.
born slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #74
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by born slippy View Post
Some insight to all those posting boards and their set ups in this thread. (I have been riding 13 years, lived in Whistler for a while and still currently work in a shop)

Waist width really does matter. If your boots are larger than a size 10 or 11 you definitely need a wide board. Normally you should downsize a whole boot size from the size your street shoes are anyway. Also make sure your bindings should be centered on the board. A good way to look at your setup to check overhang is to put your boots in the bindings and then on your carpet or floor tilt board up on its edge and check to make sure that the entire effective edge touches the floor before any part of your boot does.

Board Length. Depends on your weight much more than height. Being an average sized adult, and if you are purely riding in Ontario, a 157 will typically be the median size for which you should judge all other boards. 154 if you are slightly smaller or are a more park or overall more playful rider. A board 160+ if you are learning will only inhibit your ability to make proper turns.

Boots are the most important part to your set up. If your feet hurt or are in any way uncomfortable you won't enjoy it nearly as much as you could be. Also, they will probably have the longest shelf life out of anything in your set-up. So spend a significant amount of your budget on them. Try to find some with a heat moldable liner if possible.

Stance. The basic stance which you should try when starting should probably be between 10-15 degrees on your front foot and negative 7-10 on your back. Duck gives you more stability, especially when learning. The only people who really ride a positive stance on both feet are hardcore carvers. Weirdos. Also, the wider your stance, the more stable you will be, and the easier initiating turns will be. The only downside is you do lose a bit of stability at high speed. Some of you guys on here really should try widening up your stances for an afternoon just to experiment. Don't get set in your ways and never play with it. After 13 years, I still adjust mine all the time. Also when learning don't put too much forward lean on your bindings.

Feel free to ask anything about your setups and I will do the best I can to give an proper answer.

Lately I have been picking up a new set up every season. Here is this years... 2009 Stepchild Simon Board in a 156 and Burton P1 Bindings.
+1 all though board length can matter on height in some situations .. and for beginners the rule is closest to the chin (short for the purpose of better control and learning to turn) or above the chin and under the nose (when standing the board upright next to you.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #75
hypno_nls1
4th Gear Member

you definateely need a wider board

Fear Nothing. Risk Everything.

This is not your everyday, ordinary ****ing beamer!!
hypno_nls1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: