Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Well, I gave up

Last weekend, I did the intake manifold gasket/valley pan job on my 540I. Everything went smoothly, and as far as I can tell I didn't miss anything, but she wouldn't run. Lots of popping from the intake area, lot's of carbon from the tailpipe. Codes are a P0201, which is an injector circuit malfunction, cylinder 1, and the P0204 -- the same for cylinder 4. I checked all of the connections on the passenger side cylinder bank, and it didn't do a lick of good (cylinder 1 is on that side).

So, I gave up and took it to Duss. Of course they are extremely busy right now, so they might not get to it until late next week. Gah.

Rudi was in quite the mood yesterday, saying things like "I don't want to look at that piece of %&^$" Filled me with confidence.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
chromius
6th Gear Member

Damn Phil, sorry to hear. I would have said a loose connection too, but I guess not.

I also can't believe Rudy would say something like that...that's just nuts.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Well, he was veeeeeery busy, and from what I have heard about the man, he can be somewhat mercurial. As well, the impression that I got from their office manager was that he isn't super fond of working on 540s. That said, they know my car, so it could be good. Or, Rudy may never want to see it again.

It could still be a loose connection. If a couple of the injectors aren't working, it would give some bad running characteristics. The problem is, I can't be sure whether the connectors are lining up correctly. Maybe I could if I was pulling the injectors, I don't know. But I am worn out, and quite angry at the car for not working, and at myself, for contributing to the car not working. I am at the point where I think it's best to send in the first stringers and get it right.

I shouldn't be complaining -- compared to some problems others have had with garages, this is minor -- but I hate losing the independence of having my own working car.

There was a sweet 528IT automatic parked there, with the sport package, riding on style 5s. I was looking at it and thinking "I want!" I guess I'll never learn.

Last edited by Philboski; 11-18-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
BigD
the misanthropist

Is it possible to reverse the injector wiring on that car? Sounds too coincidental that opposite end cylinders are missing.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Is it possible to reverse the injector wiring on that car? Sounds too coincidental that opposite end cylinders are missing.
Nope. The wiring for each bank is contained in a box that runs along the top of each head, as per these directions:

http://members.cox.net/rlacm/IntakeIndex.htm

The harness essentially acts as one big connector for the four injectors on each side. You can't cross up the coil wiring either.

The only thing that I can think of is that the two blades or prongs or whatever on the injectors aren't lining up with the plugs. I tweaked them to no avail. I just didn't see myself doing it any better than I already had, and it wasn't working.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
BigD
the misanthropist

Cool. Post up what the solution ends up being, I'd be interested to know.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #7
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
(snip)...but I hate losing the independence of having my own working car.(snip)
Amen brother.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Yeah -- I'm seriously freaked that I screwed something up big time, but I have gone over all of my work...It'll probably be something really stupid, too.

I put the snows on my old SVT Contour, just in case.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
Yeah -- I'm seriously freaked that I screwed something up big time, but I have gone over all of my work...It'll probably be something really stupid, too.

I put the snows on my old SVT Contour, just in case.
^^^ lol seems like your really giving up
MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroE36 View Post
^^^ lol seems like your really giving up
Well, I am trying to sell that car, and summer performance radials this time of year aren't terribly advisable. If I have to, I'll put it on the road and drive it for the winter. If not, it goes back on the block, with sadness.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:10 AM   #11
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Update, for what it's worth.

Just got a call from Duss - they have refused to work on the car. Apparently they're busy, and they don't want to do it, or if they did do it, they'd be doing it after Christmas. But, Rudy doesn't really want to do diagnostic work. After all, it's so far from the work they normally do.

I have informed them that from here on out, they have lost my business.

So, I am faced with either having another go, or finding another shop that is willing to do the work. I am thrilled.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #12
chromius
6th Gear Member

Wow, I'm just blown away that Duss would do that. I haven't been to him for quite a while, but last I was there he always seemed willing to do any work. I guess that's changed. If he keeps that up, he's gonna lose a lot of customers.

Sorry to hear Phil. So where are you going to take it now?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #13
Jamil20
3rd Gear Member

They charge an arm and a leg for work, and pick and choose what work they want to do?

How do they stay in business?
Jamil20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #14
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
Wow, I'm just blown away that Duss would do that. I haven't been to him for quite a while, but last I was there he always seemed willing to do any work. I guess that's changed. If he keeps that up, he's gonna lose a lot of customers.

Sorry to hear Phil. So where are you going to take it now?
Well, they did say that they were swamped. I kind of saw this coming, but still........

I am going to call both Autobahn and Autovation and see what they have to say. After my last dealing with Todd, however, he might not be so fond of me.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #15
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

OK, now for the tough call:

I talked to Todd, and we got into a bit of diagnosing over the phone -- he agrees with my thoughts. He says he can look at it a little next week, but after that, it will have to sit a minimum of three weeks because he is booked solid.

Autovation said that they can take it, and would be looking at it Monday for diagnosis. My preference would be to go with Todd because he knows the car, and as stated, I have been nothing but happy with his work, but I don't want to wait the three weeks. So Autovation gets a shot. I'll (or rather CAA will) be dropping the car off with them this weekend.

I am nervous about this -- I hate going with an unknown (to me) shop. As well, I like Todd, and like his work, but with Christmas coming up, I need to have the car back. I need to have sme good luck with this car for a change.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: