Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Se7en
2nd Gear Member

What's wrong my headunit??

I just bought a 98 328is coupe, and the OEM deck was not working. It use to power up, but the LCD backlight was dead, so i coudln't see anything.

I couldn't use it becuase i did not have the radio code.

Then after a while it would stop turning on. I thought the deck just went, so i didn't think much of it, and replaced it with a Pioneer deck. After i wired it up and isntalled it, it still doesn't power up.

i checked the fuse box in the engine bay and found one blown fuse, so i replaced it.

Checked it, and it still doesn't power up.

What else can be wrong? I've double checked the wiring five times now and it is correct. What other problem can it be?

Thanks in advance.
Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
can be an easy fix. There's 2 wires you need to worry about (plus ground).

One of them is usually red (It probably has a sticker on it that says ACC) one of them is probably yellow and says (BAT) or just +.

Check the yellow one first for power. It should ALWAYS be getting power. Car on/off/etc. If it does not, you have to give it 12V (since the wire is likely frayed, as you said you already checked the fuses, you can
A) do it properly and run a 12V line from the + battery terminal
B) be lazy, run a 12v line from the cigarette lighter.

If the yellow (or BAT, or + wire) does have power, check the other one (red, ACC). This wire should only get power when the car is either on, or in ACC position. If it doesn't, this is a bigger issue. You can just splice the yellow wire into the red one, however, this will mean your deck will always be on. (you can obviously still turn it off by pressing the power button). Having your deck on all the time isn't too big of an issue, since your deck doesn't use very much power. However, your amp, which is controlled by the deck (amp turns on when deck turns on, assuming you wired the (blue, or blue with white stripe) remote wire correctly. The amp does use quite a bit of power, and will kill your battery if left on.

My suggestion is, if your ACC wire doesn't work, either bust out a bentley and trace back the ACC wire to the ignition, or have someone do it for you (get a good shop to do this, shouldn't take more than about 1 hour)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
elroy
2nd Gear Member

fuse box under the hood? Check the manual for fuse to radio/deck. Are any other lights not working. ie signals, time?
elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
Se7en
2nd Gear Member

So my 12v wasn't working, and i ran it from my cig lighter, now my deck turns on, but i have a new problem.. there's no sounds going through the speakers!

This has been such a headache..
Old 11-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
look on the left side of the trunk, look for the stock amp, there is a fuse on the amp see if its blow.

www.StanceFactory.com
ZiMMie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Se7en
2nd Gear Member

Problem solved thanks to propr'one, turns out i didn't wire the remote (thought that was for the amp only, but the E36 has a stock amp, which i didn't know).

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
6appeal
3rd Gear Member

My stock deck just doesn't light up. I can see the display in the daytime so I know it works. Are there bulbs I can change or something? I have a CD33 deck.
6appeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: