Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #31
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,243


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
Don't have any tattoos.... can't really see myself getting one. If I did, it would have to mean something, be for the right reasons.

I'm not against tattoos though, I think they can be really awesome... but again, when they're done for the right reasons. I've seen some pretty stupid tattoos. I hate it when girls get a butterfly or some shit on them, or the barbed wire around the arm.... just meaningless. Like, wow dude, you're hardcore. You have barbed wire around your arm. Can I be your friend?
lol
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #32
jstalin
capitalism=crisis
 
jstalin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Via Dolorosa
Posts: 3,087
No tattoo that's how they got the clue

You don't want to give cops anymore ways of easily identifying you
__________________
Rise with your class, not above your class
̿ ̿̿'\̵͇̿̿\o=(̪●)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿

Last edited by jstalin; 11-17-2008 at 02:28 PM.
jstalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:26 PM   #33
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い
 
TheLoneVR!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Home
Posts: 4,110
reason there are alot of mixed feelings from ppl is that tattoos are sorta taboo!
So getting opinions on here is difficult and contridicting at times
TheLoneVR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #34
MiroE36
6th Gear Member
 
MiroE36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,896
lol to what Fel posted... tattoos are like anything else in this world... its a matter of like/dislike all because people are just opinionated. Frankly if you are determined to get this tattoo on your wrist and you work in a professional office, cover it with your cuffs or wear some type of bracelet/watch that covers it. But fyi, tattoos in the workplace are not that uncommon and socially accepted too so long as they are not vulgar, demeaning or explicit.

To each his own!! go for it you've put enough effort into your decision and your dad seems to be cool with it
MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:43 AM   #35
davericher20
black and blue
 
davericher20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 2 storey 3 bedroom 1 car garage
Posts: 3,605
If you're young and you get a tattoo on your neck/wrist whatever, you've pretty much cemented your career path.
If you're in a job where noone gives a shit........by all means.

But think of the hot muggy days where you want to roll up your sleeves at white collar work and you can't. Cause you have dirty ass tattoos all up in yo-mo-fo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325iGuys_sis View Post
^ and you would be sued if thats why you did not hire a person. discrimination. cant do that anymore.
^^ Of course you don't hire a person cause of thier tattoos (on the surface) that's why you say someone else was more qualified.

Sorry, but if someone wanted to work for me and they were dealing with customers and they had a big dirty ass tattoo on their neck............no f-n way. sleeve tattoo....maybe. I would REALLY have to like them.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #36
King Luis
The King.
 
King Luis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Milton
Posts: 7,383
Send a message via MSN to King Luis
i got one on my leg above my knee. my closest friends (grew up since we were 3 years old) all have the same one. to me, tattoos need to symbolize or mean something. i want one that has to deal with family but don't know what to get.
__________________
Current:2013 Candy White VW Golf TDI
Mods: TBD.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #37
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い
 
TheLoneVR!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Home
Posts: 4,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post

Sorry, but if someone wanted to work for me and they were dealing with customers and they had a big dirty ass tattoo on their neck............no f-n way. sleeve tattoo....maybe. I would REALLY have to like them.
WOW if this isnt prejudice i dont know what is! lol
if your judging someone by what they tattoo on their body that has nothing to do with work or is exposed to your clients then you are definatly not worth working for.... Judgemental and ignorant ppl are what make workplaces hell for most of the community.
I will assume that you yourself have suffered some type of injustice to be stating the fact that you would " really have to like them " in order to allow them to work for you.
Total FAIL
TheLoneVR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #38
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!
 
Axxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,772
Okay, lets say you want to secure a multi-million dollar contract with a high end client, would you want your corporation to be respresented by someone covered in piercings and tattoos? No, it's not professional in a white-collar working environment. This is something you chose to do yourself, so you choose to put yourself at a disadvantage. It's the sad truth, all humans have prejudice, and stereotype others when they first meet. It's called "first impression" and it's a fact of life.

I have nothing against people with tattoos FYI, I'm just giving you the point of view of major corporations.
__________________

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #39
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い
 
TheLoneVR!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Home
Posts: 4,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
Okay, lets say you want to secure a multi-million dollar contract with a high end client, would you want your corporation to be respresented by someone covered in piercings and tattoos? No, it's not professional in a white-collar working environment. This is something you chose to do yourself, so you choose to put yourself at a disadvantage. It's the sad truth, all humans have prejudice, and stereotype others when they first meet. It's called "first impression" and it's a fact of life.

I have nothing against people with tattoos FYI, I'm just giving you the point of view of major corporations.
That I totally agree with. There are certain things that arent acceptable. Im referring to tattoos that are NOT visible. White Collar corps are strict playing feilds.... so on THAT specific note i totally agree with you.

I quoted the covered up tattoos.....
TheLoneVR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #40
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoneVR! View Post
WOW if this isnt prejudice i dont know what is! lol
if your judging someone by what they tattoo on their body that has nothing to do with work or is exposed to your clients then you are definatly not worth working for.... Judgemental and ignorant ppl are what make workplaces hell for most of the community.
I will assume that you yourself have suffered some type of injustice to be stating the fact that you would " really have to like them " in order to allow them to work for you.
Total FAIL
would you hire a morbidly obese sales man with a cane..
or would you hire a young stud with almost the same credentials..
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #41
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い
 
TheLoneVR!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Home
Posts: 4,110
those are differnt circumstances I would say.
I would choose the best fit candidate for the position. Period! Whoever is gona make me money/performance what needs to be done more efficiently and with ease. This includes client/customer care and relations.
TheLoneVR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #42
Fel
Not Banned
 
Fel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Schomberg
Posts: 4,316
I guess the point here is that the "best credentials " differ greatly depending on where you're trying to get a job.

Like mentioned, a white collar corporate environment is no place to have visible tattoos. They won't tell you that to your face (some will), but it's an unspoken truth. If you are looking for a sales job that involves mostly client relationships, visible tattoos are also a major negative. There are people in the world who don't share the same views on things like tattoos. If a 70-year old grandma walks into a bank and her teller is sporting visible tattoos, she might never come back. This is something that is considered when you're being considered for hire. If you're a mechanic, your tattoo probably won't matter because it fits into the culture of the job.

If you hide your tattoos, and never mention them, they will never get you in trouble. A tattoo on your back will always be covered by a shirt when working in an office, so it wouldn't be a problem. Full sleeve tattoos might attract a bit more negative attention.
__________________
Fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #43
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoneVR! View Post
those are differnt circumstances I would say.
I would choose the best fit candidate for the position. Period! Whoever is gona make me money/performance what needs to be done more efficiently and with ease. This includes client/customer care and relations.
i wouldnt really categorize the situation as different cricumstances. there both not socially exceptable in todays society. and as i stated in previous posts the fat man has better credentials so the proper hire if everyone is blind is the fat man.

my main point is Tattoos do have a negative effect on your white collar work place If they are visible. I have a couple of friends who have tattoos and i dont look at them any different before they got them. but if an HR knew about their tattoos they would look at them in a negative perspective. im almost certain of the above.

but in your local mechanic shop noone really gives a shit if he is covered with tat's as long as he does a good job.
that same guy sending out a sales pitch really has to impress me before i make any sort of buisness with him.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #44
Spartiatis
6th Gear Member
 
Spartiatis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: THE HAMMER
Posts: 1,458
Send a message via ICQ to Spartiatis
Everyone has a tattoo these days
__________________
///M means "MotorSport" for the E30 ///M3
but
for the E36 M3, M means "Marketing"
Spartiatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #45
325iGuys_sis
2nd Gear Member
 
325iGuys_sis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post
If you're young and you get a tattoo on your neck/wrist whatever, you've pretty much cemented your career path.
If you're in a job where noone gives a shit........by all means.

But think of the hot muggy days where you want to roll up your sleeves at white collar work and you can't. Cause you have dirty ass tattoos all up in yo-mo-fo.



^^ Of course you don't hire a person cause of thier tattoos (on the surface) that's why you say someone else was more qualified.

Sorry, but if someone wanted to work for me and they were dealing with customers and they had a big dirty ass tattoo on their neck............no f-n way. sleeve tattoo....maybe. I would REALLY have to like them.

ok so you're against tasteless tattoos then... i agree with you on that.

Still wouldn't not hire a person if they are qualified for the job. at least give then the probation period to prove themselves...
__________________






325iGuys_sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2015