Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
E46Dude
Respect ur Parents.

Steering pull to the left...wheel not straight?

anyone came across this before?

my steering wheel has started pulling to the left big time on the highway...and the steering is longer straightl...it actually now has a tilt towards the right while going straight....and the car pulls to the left on the highway...its pretty significant pull too...

tried rotating the tyre...no dice...had a wheel bearing changed a few weeks ago and the problem has become more visible since but it was there even prior to the wheel bearing....

any ideas on what this could be? my mechanic said it could be alignment but im hearing things like bushings, tie rods etc....so hoping to get more info before i shell out for a alingnment that may not fix the problem...
E46Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
Take it a good alignment shop and have them check all bushings, control arms and other suspension and steering linkage (they will anyway; they find an issue, it's $$$ for them) before they do the alignment. Ask to watch the inspection. Not sure of good shops down your way, but, that's what i woud do..... you can check alot of these in your drivemay. Car on jack.... got a friend to pull from all 4 corners of your tire (one @ a time) while you look for loose steering and suspension components...... IF it's that bad, then it should be fairly obvious..... Have hit ANY thing @ an angle (maybe big pothole?)?? Stering wheel pointing one direction and pull ot the other is usually an indication of alignment, but ........ How about brake calipers? Is the drvier's side starting to seize? does wheel turn freely when brakes off?
nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Check suspension first, alignment last. If you do need to replace any bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends,etc. aligment would be the right thing to do right after.

Crooked steering wheel drive me nuts, personally.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
dbworld4k
Addict

Mine was doing this last week. Just replaced RTAB/RSM (the RTAB were shot to HELL) and got an alignment done. She drives perfectly now

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
Bliss
Administrator

All great advice. dbworld4k, out of curiosity, how much mileage did you have on your RTAB's/RSM? Car looks really well maintaned.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
E46Dude
Respect ur Parents.

thanks for the replies all.....@ nachos23 i did go over a pot hole a few weeks back but did a tire rotation after that..though Im not sure if that made a diffference....under braking the steering does turn but thats usually when the road isent even...Im running 18 inch after market rims not stock....

pardon my ignorance but t]whats rtab/rsms?

addition in case this helps...my mechanic said he had to change the right rear control arm bushing when he changed the right rear bearing too...
Old 10-27-2009, 01:32 AM   #7
rider-.
3rd Gear Member

rtab = rear trailing arm bushings ... rsms = rear shock mounts
rider-. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:51 AM   #8
nachos23
SweetXi

The pot hole could be the culprit. Even though it may have damaged the rim, depending on the severity, it can have bent the control arms, or other related suspension parts, casuing the pull.... Did it start pointing right after the pothole or previously?

The reasoning is that since your wheel pointed right, it either "jumped a tooth" (but the car still would drive straight) or you hit something and the suspension is outta alignment. Woodbridge Alignment are pros @ this kinda stuff and Tony has excellent staff and prices.... They are located just east of Islington on Hwy 7.... Top of the hill, behind the autobody shop. They've been around for years, do most of the alignment work for the dealers and shops in the area and will get it running staight for ya..... If they can repair by re-aligning the part, they often won't charge anything extra. Not sure of their phone number, but they should be listed.....

Check them out!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 01:52 AM   #9
nachos23
SweetXi

sorry, not have damaged the rim..... was what I meant to say.... getting late!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
dbworld4k
Addict

+1 for Woodbridge Alignment. They did a fantastic job on my car with it's extremely finicky settings. They are not appointment based, it's first come first serve. Best to go before noon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss View Post
All great advice. dbworld4k, out of curiosity, how much mileage did you have on your RTAB's/RSM? Car looks really well maintaned.
~90k on the RSMs. They were still good when I installed my coils in May, but shot to hell after only a few months of hard driving lol. RTAB were original and had close to 220k. They were fine at the start of the summer, but the additional wear and tear from the hard driving + suspension killed them. I changed both out to the heavy duty versions.

Past:

Last edited by dbworld4k; 10-27-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
Michel
6th Gear Member

^Anuk, where did you get the HD RSM's and RTABs from? Did you get Meyle or Powerflex?
Old 10-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
nachos23
SweetXi

I'd be there @ 8am...... the line starts early and grows fast, but with like 7 bays, they move through it pretty quick.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #13
E46Dude
Respect ur Parents.

Thanks !

Will be taking a look at the suspension this evening at the shop...if everything looks okay - then will probably take it to the alignmnent shop...I also heard Can-alighnment is good....so will probably call Woodbridge and Can and see who can fit me in quicker !

Fingers crossed!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
dbworld4k
Addict

Can-Alignment is VERY good. They use corner-balancing, so its about 2x as the cost of Woodbridge alignment though.

Past:
Old 10-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
Michel
6th Gear Member

anyone know if woodbridge alignment can dial in camber/toe/caster etc to specs that I would provide? or they just do whatever OEM is?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: