Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
DriveItSideways
Banned

Your 2008 Track experiences

Once again the end of season has creeped up on us, it seems like it was short lived (for me atleast).

I didnt get the chance to lap as much as last year but I was able to dial in my car and see the much needed work that has to be done for next year.

I had a couple podium finishes at the CSCS time attack (2nd in the rain and 1st in the dry, 3rd overall) I would like to thank CSCS for the well run events.

I had the chance to lap with some max members at one of Mpower's events @ Dunnville (which roasted my tires/brakes), thanks to Mpower for a well run event (sorry I never got the chance to take you out for a ride, we had some great battles though!)

Early in the season I went out to shannonville a few times in the wet, had a blast lapping with some highly modded cars.

To close my season I went lapping at Mosport GP track, and had the time of my life.

Lets hear your thoughts on the 08 lapping season!

Mpower maxbimmer lapping day - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz8Y9NveXFQ

Touge.ca lapping day @ Shannonville - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w_QBiqrtBg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gtir.jpg (64.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg n509461346_1485031_5486.jpg (41.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg n509461346_1485042_7921.jpg (52.1 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg n509461346_1485058_2177.jpg (63.3 KB, 97 views)
DriveItSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
BigD
the misanthropist

Only two this year, no money for more. The first was Dave's lapping day at Dunnville, the track debut of the S52 E30. Just did a dozen or so meek laps, started pushing more by the end, but I'm absolutely thrilled and proud that the car worked perfectly and didn't miss a single beat. It was a total victory for a long and ambitious project (which began with changing the clutch in a barely lit underground lot, changing out the suspension/diff in a borrowed garage, preparing the engine in my livingroom in BC).

Then I did the Boston BMW Club school in Tremblant. I initially planned to have the E30 ready for that and Dunnville proved that it was capable but the two major problems were 1) it was probably 50% over the noise limit at Tremblant and I was out of $ to do anything proper about it and 2) it's still an unproven car. 2) really hit home when I got to the track to find a dude I've been emailing with under his M3. He paid for all 3 days and his car started misfiring heavily as he got into Quebec. All said and done he fixed it with only the last run session of Sunday left. That justified my decision totally. I rented a Cobalt and had more fun with it than I'll ever care to admit. Getting my doors blown off by tuned Miatas, E36s and an R35 GTR and reeling them back in in the next turn made me and my instructor giggle our asses off.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock

Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
Mike, I see Nigel got some good pics of you!

man, this year has been unreal. First year competing in the drift scene. The exposure to the scene has ben phenomenol and I've never worked so hard to improve myself. Let's just say there has been alot of burnt up tire this year. The death count right now is at 32 tires.

The year started off with the First Round of the Drift Ops Pro-Am series. With zero drifting experience at the track, I was able to learn my car and develop my own technique during the 3 hour practice in the morning. At the end of the day i was eliminated at the top 8 finishing 7th overall.

CSCS #2 I struggled the whole day drifting on gay Dunlop FM 901's. Lucky enough I made it through to the top 16, but only to end the day early at 12th.

With Noise restrictions many of our event were cancelled at Dunnville.

Drift Mania Canadian Championships Round 4 at Downsview Park. Probably the highlight of this year with the exposure of getting judged by a proffessional panel of judges and being critiqued by Canada's own Pro series drivers and meeting some of my own heroes. The first few competitors including myself ran the Pro layout. Which was fast and fun. Entering at top of 3rd Gear then dropping it into 2nd mid drift for the decreasing Radius. Then the switched us to the ameture layout.

Never have we tandem this close before with a 1 second gap between cars. Qualifying I ****ed up my run to qualify 10th. During the first round tandem battle, I was up against an 86 corrolla. Tight battle, although most say i should've won, but the experience itself was unreal. Especially the Invite to go represent Ontario Ametures in Quebec was awesome too.. no funds though.

Open Drift Days. Twas crazy fun. With more confidence under my belt, I was getting some damn near door to door tandem runs with others and some of the pros. Compliments as "most improved driver" or "best new comer" from various drifters and drift posse were very encouraging. after 8 tires, smashed front lip, and a broken shock mount it was an amazing day.

CSCS finale... I KILLED IT. lol DriveitSideways was there riding shotgun with me. Qualified 7th with a crazy run. Nailing the Double apex then connecting the Right turn after. Through points I was creeping my way up to the top and by 2nd round i was in 4th placing higher than my opponent, the Intense Motorsports DMCC drift car. but the thought of going up against a Pro Driver got to my head and I choked on the second run and dropped two wheels in the dirt to finish 5th. not bad for having the least HP in the top 8

Finally Drift Ops VIP day. Day started of good. Crazazn was shotty. Blew out a tire first 30 mins out there. Got out there and went about 3 laps tandem with DMCC driver Vlad Crown. Another close tandem. I think at one point we had a 3 car tandem going . Then everything went to shit when my inner ball joint broke.

COLES NOTES:
-****ING AWESOME YEAR.
- sorry for the novel lool

Its a lifestyle.www.coolkidsclub.ca

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/EuroDriftStar
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/641215cruz
Chris de la Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
I guess I can't complain about my year either, went only to Mosport GP track, 3 times this year. Kensai day in May, BMW Club Friday instructor group in June, and BMW Toronto hosted track day in August. I managed to get my car down to a 1.43.x laptime, with full interior, trunk, and passenger. On 6 year old R compounds. Awesome!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Only made it out once to dunnville for mark's track days. cam and maf sensor went during the day so the car wasn't running 100% but overall it was a lot of fun, dunnville is too small for an M5 thou... Mosport next year
Old 11-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
DriveItSideways
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
I guess I can't complain about my year either, went only to Mosport GP track, 3 times this year. Kensai day in May, BMW Club Friday instructor group in June, and BMW Toronto hosted track day in August. I managed to get my car down to a 1.43.x laptime, with full interior, trunk, and passenger. On 6 year old R compounds. Awesome!

Nice!

I wish I had someone with me at Mosport to time me
DriveItSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
It was my first year out and I only got to do 2 events, Both at Dunnville this past June and July. Car was on shitty all seaons for one event and shitty summer tires for another...The second event i think i did pretty well...I'll be looking foward to trying real grippy track-worthy street tires as well as maybe trying some R-comps maybe closer to the end of next season.

2009 season I'll be out more, going to Dunnville, Shannonville TMP and Mosport DDT (too wimpy for the big boy track) and I would like to attend the Hanson driving school at least once.

See you guys next year!

I have some pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !!!IMG_0323.jpg (30.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg !!!IMG_0327.jpg (31.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg !!!IMG_0333.jpg (33.7 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by e30_kid89; 11-10-2008 at 05:50 PM.
e30_kid89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:08 AM   #8
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Also my first year. I had a blast

1st - Mosport DDT
2nd - Dunnville
3rd - Mosport DDT
4th - Toronto Motorsports Park

Hmmm, only 4 times. Seemed like more. But I love how time goes so slow. You think it would go really fast because of all the fun.

But to sum up, it was nice to know what I can keep up with, and my car really really surprised me. Still have so much to learn.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: