Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Sightings
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #46
Boots R
Boots, not boost

I'd throw pennies at europrince, even if he wasn't tailgating me.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #47
Ryousuke
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ryousuke Send a message via AIM to Ryousuke
What pisses me off even more is when I'm cruising at 120 on a cruise control, some faggot runs up my bumper I move over let him pass, and the stupid faggot does slower than me when I am still in cruise control doing 120, I should start throwing pennies at people for that.
Ryousuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #48
Bimmerette
3rd Gear Member

Once, a kid threw rocks at me at the beach. It ****ing hurt.

Stop disappearing on us Boots, you KEEP doing that to us!
Bimmerette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #49
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerette View Post
Once, a kid threw rocks at me at the beach. It ****ing hurt.

He probably keeps getting banned for good reason
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #50
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

So according to max, i should slam on my brakes which i didn't, throw shit at him, which i didn't or pull off the road, which i didn't, or slow down, which i didn t...

wow, just wow.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #51
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerette View Post
I'll try to be good this time
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #52
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfeller View Post
While the young fellow in the other car was most assuredly a complete jackass, your escalation of the situation was entirely asinine. The correct course of action when being tailgated, regardless of the whorishness of his passenger, or the demeanor of another's driving character is to calmly signal, and pull over to the right lane. If he follows you over, then you may slow down gradually and slowly to 80 km/h. In traffic, this opens up a larger gap between you and the car in front, in case you have to slow down, and also provides more room in front should the other driver wish to pass you. As a third benefit, if said driver is really in such a hurry, your reduced speed will provide them added incentive to pass you removing you from the dangerous tailgating situation. 2 am or not, do not ever play games on the road. The risk to both yourself and others is simply too great.
You're a good man.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #53
bigfeller
Propeller Head

Handbooks, laws, etc.

Quote:
You're a good man.
Thank you sir, nice of you to say. In fact, I am just a man who has read and understands the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, and who believes that caution and logic almost always make for a better plan than anger and bravado.

SOLD- Now Enjoying Honda Civic
bigfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #54
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Reducing speed to 80 on the 401 is a death wish. I can't believe you would do something like that, by doing that you are increasing chances of an accident 5 to 10 cars back 20 fold... very smart.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #55
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots R View Post
I'd throw pennies at europrince, even if he wasn't tailgating me.
LOL!

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #56
Blades
Your opinion is to long

I don't understand some of you .. this guy was tailing 405style on an empty highway .. he was in the middle lane but REGARDLESS if he was in the far left or far right lane the SAME OUTCOME would happen. If this guy wanted to pass he would have but he CHOSE to play cat and mouse. ..basic ...****in..logic... He got a taste of his own medicine .. sometimes you have pinch a kid back to let it know it hurts .. next time he might think twice before doing what he did to 405style.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown

Last edited by Blades; 11-03-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #57
bigfeller
Propeller Head

Median Speed and Modelling

Oh boy... okay, here we go.

Quote:
Reducing speed to 80 on the 401 is a death wish. I can't believe you would do something like that, by doing that you are increasing chances of an accident 5 to 10 cars back 20 fold... very smart.
I would certainly not advocate travelling at 80 km/h in the passing lane, but in the right lane, this is the minimum acceptable speed you should travel at. I think you'll find that once you slow down to about 95 km/h, you'll have someone already blowing by you.

The danger of travelling too slowly, as you infer from your statement about my intelligence, is not the speed at which you're travelling, but rather the speed differential resulting from your reduced speed. This, from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics in the US:

Quote:
UNDESIRABLE EFFECTS OF SPEED VARIABILITY
Posting a minimum speed limit was and still is motivated by the desire to reduce speed variability in a traffic stream and its attendant consequences in efficiency and safety of traffic operations. Numerous studies have documented the negative effects of speed variability.

In determining the extent to which the 55 mph federally sanctioned maximum speed limit affected safety, a Transportation Research Board (TRB) study found that the probability of crashes occurring increases as the speed variance rises. The study showed that speed variation causes significant lane changing and passing maneuvers, which are known to be potential sources of conflicts and crashes (TRB 1984). The significance of speed variance was observed by developing a fatality model that included highway safety characteristics such as traffic density, percentage of vehicles exceeding 65 mph, percentage of teenagers, and enforcement activity, as well as speed variance and average speeds. The TRB model revealed that speed variance had a statistically significant effect on fatality rates-states with wider variances in vehicle speed on the highway tended to have higher fatality rates. The study further found that the mean speed only affected the severity of crashes. Holding the effect of speed variance constant in the model presented no statistically significant relationship between the fatality rate and any other speed variables. The study concluded that controlling speed variance could be an effective tool in improving highway safety.

Another study of 36 crashes that occurred on Indiana highway 37 indicated that the crash involvement rates per million vehicle-miles of travel were higher for vehicles whose speeds were below and above the mean speed (West and Dunn 1971). After removing data on all crashes related to turning maneuvers, the authors found that the crash risk associated with vehicles traveling faster or slower was more than six times the involvement rates at the mean speed. The West and Dunn findings were supported by Hauer (1971) who developed a mathematical model to correlate accident involvement rates and vehicle travel speeds. Hauer found that the imposition of a minimum speed limit on highways was two to three times as effective as an equivalent maximum speed limit in reducing the frequency of overtaking and thereby crash involvement rates. Hauer suggested that the relationship between vehicle speed deviations and crashes might be due to a higher incidence of passing maneuvers from which the vehicle passes or is passed by another vehicle-a situation caused by the presence of slower vehicles impeding fast vehicles in the traffic stream.

PLATOON ANALYSIS
Highway travel is generally composed of free-flowing and platooned vehicles. In free-flowing traffic, drivers can choose their speeds as they desire as long as conditions are such that slow-moving vehicles do not impede their ability to change lanes at will. Platooned vehicles travel close to each other mostly because of lack of passing opportunities, thus causing other vehicles to be trapped behind the lead vehicle. No definition exists in the literature of a headway value below which vehicles are considered to be moving in a platoon. Thus, in this study, four definitions were considered-less or equal to 1, 2, 3, and 4 seconds.

The analysis showed that six-lane highway sections carried larger proportions of platooned vehicles than four-lane sections. Further, the middle lanes of six-lane sections carried more platoons than the shoulder and median lanes. To study the effect of platooned vehicles on the distribution of speed, the mean speeds of platooned vehicles were compared with the mean speeds of nonplatooned (or free-flowing) vehicles. The statistical analysis here uses a t-test in which platooned and nonplatooned vehicles were paired by site and by lane of travel. The results showed that the difference between the speeds of platooned and nonplatooned vehicles were insignificant for both four- and six-lane highway sections regardless of whether the cut-off point was 1, 2, 3, or 4 seconds of time headway. These results indicate that platooned vehicles are not slow moving and thus do not create a need for free-flowing vehicles catching up behind them to pass. However, it should again be noted that the highway sections analyzed were relatively uncongested, operating at levels of service B or better for a majority of the hours in a year.

BEFORE AND AFTER COMPARISON
To understand the change in speed characteristics following the increase in the speed limit, table 5 presents a comparison of before-and-after data. In 1996, the speed limit was 65 mph at all the sites indicated in the table. Data-collection sites for both 1996 and 2002 were physically very close, and the field review of the sites indicated that for all practical purposes the geometric characteristics prevailing at these sites would produce similar driver behavior.

The results in table 5 show that the average speeds across all sites increased by 5 mph to 72 mph. The 15th percentile speed also showed a significant increase of 3 mph when averaged across all sites (p ≤ 0.0001). A statistical F-test comparison of the variances indicated no significant difference between the 1996 and 2002 data (p = 0.50). However, significant differences were found in the variances on four-lane sections (p = 0.0003). Further analysis indicated that in 1996, the average speed on six-lane sections was 4.75 standard deviations above the 40 mph minimum posted speed limit. In 2002, it was 5 standard deviations above the 40 mph minimum. In four-lane sections, the results show that the average speeds were 6 and 5 standard deviations above 40 mph in 1996 and 2002, respectively. Examination of the coefficients of variation between the two datasets indicated that 2002 data show significant large variations compared with 1996. However, the coefficients of variation are still below 10%, indicating a reasonable equity in travel speeds.

It has been suggested in the past (e.g., McShane et al. 1998) that the 15th percentile speed may be used as a measure of the minimum reasonable speed for the traffic stream. (This suggestion mirrors the attempt to use the 85th percentile speed as a measure for setting the maximum speed limit). The data reported here indicate that, in all sections studied, the 15th percentile speeds on the aggregate ranged from 60 mph to 70 mph, which is 20 mph to 30 mph above the posted minimum speed limit value. Does this mean that the minimum speed limit should be set at 60 mph? There are number of concerns that would need to be addressed before a change like this could be made. First, Florida statutes (Florida Statutes 2002) state that "no school bus shall exceed the posted speed limit or 55 mph." Second, as a tourist state, some Florida visitors drive recreational vehicles (sometimes towing a trailer) or motor homes, and field review indicated that these are the vehicles that tend to make up the lowest 15% of the speed distribution at all sites. Third, a safety analysis would be needed to fully justify any change in the minimum highway speed.

Instead of increasing the minimum speed, should it be eliminated? After all, the results of a survey conducted as part of this research showed that 25 states do not post minimum speeds on interstate highways. Currently, Florida statutes state that: "The minimum speed limit on interstate and Defense Highways, with at least 4 lanes, is 40 mph." The Florida Highway Patrol in the context of this research study indicated that such a statute is required to enable law officers to issue citations. A question was raised that in the absence of the minimum speed rule, can the law officers use another Florida statute that states "No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic" to warn or issue citations to slow moving vehicles? One police officer pointed out that if a vehicle is alone on the highway traveling at, say 25 mph, what traffic is the driver impeding?
The general rule of thumb, in case you thought that was too wordy, is that a speed differential of 15 mph (25 km/h) is the maximum safe threshold for speed varience while travelling on the highway. Since the speed limit of the 400 series highways and QEW is 100 km/h, you're within the threshold of safety at 80 km/h, though I still wouldn't drive that slowly for too long.

Drive safely ;-)

SOLD- Now Enjoying Honda Civic
bigfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #58
VSanj
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfeller View Post
While the young fellow in the other car was most assuredly a complete jackass, your escalation of the situation was entirely asinine. The correct course of action when being tailgated, regardless of the whorishness of his passenger, or the demeanor of another's driving character is to calmly signal, and pull over to the right lane. If he follows you over, then you may slow down gradually and slowly to 80 km/h. In traffic, this opens up a larger gap between you and the car in front, in case you have to slow down, and also provides more room in front should the other driver wish to pass you. As a third benefit, if said driver is really in such a hurry, your reduced speed will provide them added incentive to pass you removing you from the dangerous tailgating situation. 2 am or not, do not ever play games on the road. The risk to both yourself and others is simply too great.
x2 very well put!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #59
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 405Style View Post
please don t be an idiot. at 2 am with a empty road there is no reason for me to be tailed. what would you like me to do, pull to the shoulder? As usual, a maxretard misses the point. You don t live in Toronto, you have no idea how poorly people drive here, B.C. has gold star drivers compared to here.
What point have I missed? You were the one in the wrong and didn't remove yourself from a possibly deadly situation because of your ego and prooving some point? Grow the **** up or turn in your license.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #60
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 405Style View Post
the center lane is a intermediate highway lane, the left lane is passing and the right lane is exit , enter.
For people who may have forgotten, all left lanes are for passing. the right lane is the driving lane.
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: