Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
Ian Sheppard
2nd Gear Member

Best 5 lug set up?

I'm in the process of getting the parts together for a 5 lug swap. What are people here using?

I've got the M Roadster set up lined up for the rear. This one seems like a no brainer with the beefed up components ect.

The front seems to be the tuff one. So far I think I'm going with E36 M3 knuckles, brakes, struts, 97+ control arms, and offset control arm bushing. Any one running this set up? Any allignement issues? What about coilovers instead of the M3 struts? Anyone have E30 M3 parts available for the front?
Ian Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
andicanada
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to andicanada
i have the E36 m3 brake with custtom made controll arms wheel is staying centerd in fender and also a coilover suspension
looks great and works awsome

let me know if you need parts i have some still from my conversions like spindel brake controllarms and so on
andicanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock

Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
with e36 parts.. the caster will still be off.

Its a lifestyle.www.coolkidsclub.ca

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/EuroDriftStar
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/641215cruz
Chris de la Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:17 AM   #4
Gleb
E30 ..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris de la Cruz View Post
with e36 parts.. the caster will still be off.
Not if it's done right.

To the OP: Unless you are racing the car, don't bother with the E36 stuff, it is better (read stronger), but will be more time and money consuming.
For the convenience of 5 bolt, E30 M3 bits will work just about perfect.
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

E30 M3 front, with 318ti rear.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Ian Sheppard
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
Not if it's done right.

To the OP: Unless you are racing the car, don't bother with the E36 stuff, it is better (read stronger), but will be more time and money consuming.
For the convenience of 5 bolt, E30 M3 bits will work just about perfect.

I'd use E30 M3 up front if I could get my hands on some parts. Seems the E36 parts are much easier to get.

What is done right? From what I gather it means 97+ CAs, offset CABs, E36 struts, and camber plates???

I've got an S52 swap, with a blower on the way, so I like the idea of the bigger E36 parts.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sheppard View Post
What is done right? From what I gather it means 97+ CAs, offset CABs, E36 struts, and camber plates???
Thats correct for the e36 parts.

However, I disagree with the e36 parts working 100% correctly. The location of the actual wheel hub/spindle in relation to the ball joint is much closer together, hence why the wheel is still so far back, even with all the offset pieces. Its just a band-aid to make it appear correct. The wheel will ALWAYS be 1.5cm further back in the wheelwell. This setup will decrease wheelbase, the angle of how the bottom balljoint moves up and down will be questionable (from a technical standpoint, on the street, you won't notice a difference) and also steering angles will be slightly off (again from a technical standpoint, you'd have to toe out the steering in order to correct all the 'caster pieces' being there). On top of all that, another benefit to the e30 parts is that you can install the Roll Center spacers at the bottom of the strut in order to correct some of the negative angle of the control arm/tie rod in cars with excessive lowering.

E30 M3 parts FTW!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:35 PM   #8
Gleb
E30 ..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Thats correct for the e36 parts.

However, I disagree with the e36 parts working 100% correctly.
Just you wait, my little friend, till I am done with mine (hopefully in this century).

But all kidding aside, Rudy is right. It will probably be impossible to get the caster 100% right, close, very close, but not perfect... not that you will ever notice the difference while driving... I think.

I (well, my mechanic) did it on my car and the only reason we did it is for stronger parts, it's a track car only. So far, everything seems to be OK. To get it perfect, I think, one will have to mod. the towers and we may do that, IF the car doesn't drive right... but that is a big IF.

I should take some pics, when I am in the shop next time. Rudy, let me know if you wanna see it at Arpi's.

There are a couple of good write-ups on the subject on R3V and Bimmerforums.
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
Ian Sheppard
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the replies. I'm going to stick with the m roadster rear pieces, and if I can find e30 parts for the front I'll go that way, but it sounds like e36 ismore likely

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: