Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > Looking for
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-14-2003, 01:58 AM   #1
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
WTB E36 M3 sway bars

I need the front and rear sway bars from an E36 M3 in good condition. No accidented vechnicles. Prefered if the bushings are included.

Thanks!

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 05:54 AM   #2
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Re: WTB E36 M3 sway bars

Front??? Do you have M3 struts installed?

SL

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
I need the front and rear sway bars from an E36 M3 in good condition. No accidented vechnicles. Prefered if the bushings are included.

Thanks!

Bry
KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:14 PM   #3
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Re: Re: WTB E36 M3 sway bars

Quote:
Originally posted by KIRASIR
Front??? Do you have M3 struts installed?

SL
Ground Control has a conversion bracket kit which welds onto the front struts and allows you to install M3 front sway bars on 318's.

here's the info from their site...

M3 swaybar endlink assemblies
The highest quality available. The rod ends used for our endlink assemblies are made specifically for our kit. You can't buy these rod ends out of a catalog. We have specified to the bearing manufacturer our requirements for high angularity and preloaded Teflon liners for a long service life. If you look closely, you will see the stainless steel washers we include to make our kit a tight fit into the existing 10mm holes in the factory brackets. No other company supplies such a high quality kit. Weld-on brackets to convert 84-99 318/325 and reinforcements for 90-99 M3's available separately.
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 02-14-2003, 03:30 PM   #4
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Re: Re: Re: WTB E36 M3 sway bars

Thanks.. interesting read, although I couldn't find this page on their web site. I am actually looking for a pair of bars as well, and I am still trying to decide between GC, Racing Dynamics, or Eibach.

SL

Quote:
Ground Control has a conversion bracket kit which welds onto the front struts and allows you to install M3 front sway bars on 318's.

here's the info from their site...

M3 swaybar endlink assemblies
The highest quality available. The rod ends used for our endlink assemblies are made specifically for our kit. You can't buy these rod ends out of a catalog. We have specified to the bearing manufacturer our requirements for high angularity and preloaded Teflon liners for a long service life. If you look closely, you will see the stainless steel washers we include to make our kit a tight fit into the existing 10mm holes in the factory brackets. No other company supplies such a high quality kit. Weld-on brackets to convert 84-99 318/325 and reinforcements for 90-99 M3's available separately.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:04 PM   #5
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Re: Re: Re: Re: WTB E36 M3 sway bars

Quote:
Thanks.. interesting read, although I couldn't find this page on their web site. I am actually looking for a pair of bars as well, and I am still trying to decide between GC, Racing Dynamics, or Eibach.

SL
Serge, are you back from your trip yet? I was wondering if you could help me locate my fan resistor. I looked for it last night without any success. Thanks!

Also, personally I think RD is the best. It has 3 holes for adjustment in the front and 2 in the rear, whereas Eibach only has 2 in the front and 1 in the rear. But since I have Eibach springs I would probably want Eibach sway bars. The reason I want this conversion is because M3 sway bars can be purchased for $100-$200, can't beat that price.

Lastly, if you want the M3 sway bars on your car, let me know. I know the guy who can get us everything we need for the conversion for about $50! Excluding the endlinks though.

Bryan

Last edited by Autotechnica; 02-14-2003 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:27 PM   #6
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WTB E36 M3 sway bars

Hey,

No I am still in Munich, and will be here for another almost 2 weeks, and then for 2-3 more weeks in March. (getting really really tired of all this work.)

I am not too sure about yours but on mine it's right on bottom part of the fan. It looks like a piece of metal pipe about 10cm long and 1.5cm in diameter.

I've been thinking about Racing Dynamics bars, although they seem to be thinner than the Eibach ones. I would like something adjustable since I want to be able to tweak them for the track/autocross. M3 ones would be cheaper but at the expense of the adjustability.

Btw are you coming out to the auto-x at the and of April?

SL

Quote:
Serge, are you back from your trip yet? I was wondering if you could help me locate my fan resistor. I looked for it last night without any success. Thanks!

Also, personally I think RD is the best. It has 3 holes for adjustment in the front and 2 in the rear, whereas Eibach only has 2 in the front and 1 in the rear. But since I have Eibach springs I would probably want Eibach sway bars. The reason I want this conversion is because M3 sway bars can be purchased for $100-$200, can't beat that price.

Lastly, if you want the M3 sway bars on your car, let me know. I know the guy who can get us everything we need for the conversion for about $50! Excluding the endlinks though.

Bryan
Old 02-14-2003, 07:55 PM   #7
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WTB E36 M3 sway bars

Quote:
Hey,

No I am still in Munich, and will be here for another almost 2 weeks, and then for 2-3 more weeks in March. (getting really really tired of all this work.)

I am not too sure about yours but on mine it's right on bottom part of the fan. It looks like a piece of metal pipe about 10cm long and 1.5cm in diameter.

I've been thinking about Racing Dynamics bars, although they seem to be thinner than the Eibach ones. I would like something adjustable since I want to be able to tweak them for the track/autocross. M3 ones would be cheaper but at the expense of the adjustability.

Btw are you coming out to the auto-x at the and of April?

SL
Definitely the RD or Eibach sway bars will be more specifically tuned for the 318 compared to the M3 sways.

I've done some research and it seems the best price for sway bars is by Racing Dynamics. H&R, Eibach or BAV sway bars are around $400US whereas the RD sways are only $299US, pretty huge difference.

Any ideas what are the disadvantages of installing M3 sways?

I'll definitely be at autocross, once I get some decent tires of course. I'm still running on oem 15" wheels w/ winter tires! I just got a set of 16" wheels, just need tires now

Bry

Old 02-15-2003, 08:46 AM   #8
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WTB E36 M3 sway bars

So far the cheapest I have found were Eibach's - 320US, followed by GC for $330.

Unless you buy aftermarket M3 sways, you won't be able to adjust the stock M3 ones. After all track/auto-x sway setups are a bit different.

SL

Quote:
I've done some research and it seems the best price for sway bars is by Racing Dynamics. H&R, Eibach or BAV sway bars are around $400US whereas the RD sways are only $299US, pretty huge difference.

Any ideas what are the disadvantages of installing M3 sways?

Bry
Old 02-17-2003, 03:46 AM   #9
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
I'm pretty sure the M3 sways will mount without converting the struts in the front, just use the stock 318/325 end links. But then again I've also been told that getting M3 sways are totally not worth it unless they're really cheap, and that the difference isn't huge.

I do plan on getting either Racing Dynamics or TMS swaybars during the coming season.

Also keeping in mind that the aftermarket swaybars have harder durometer bushings to keep the bar from flexing within the mounts.

Also, this isn't directed to either Autotechnica or Kirasir (I don't know what your suspension setups are like), but as a general warning, don't change to stiffer swaybars without getting stiffer springs/shocks first.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 08:58 AM   #10
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

A couple of points:

You could connect the M3 front bar to the control arms, but WHY?!?!!! If my memory is correct M3 bar is even thinner than the 318 one. If you connect it to the CA's you will ultimately kill the handling and not improve it. When a bar is connected directly to the struts just like in the M3s, you have a much better leverage than when the bar is attached to the CA's, so you don't need a bar as thick as in the regular 3series.

So to use the M3 bar one must connect it to the struts unless the goal is to have more body roll.

I think the main problem with getting a stock M3 sway bar is the fact that it is nonadjustable.

My car is already lowered with a bunch of other goodies. I just need to reinforce the rear swaybar mounts before I put the bar on the car.

Serge

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
I'm pretty sure the M3 sways will mount without converting the struts in the front, just use the stock 318/325 end links. But then again I've also been told that getting M3 sways are totally not worth it unless they're really cheap, and that the difference isn't huge.

I do plan on getting either Racing Dynamics or TMS swaybars during the coming season.

Also keeping in mind that the aftermarket swaybars have harder durometer bushings to keep the bar from flexing within the mounts.

Also, this isn't directed to either Autotechnica or Kirasir (I don't know what your suspension setups are like), but as a general warning, don't change to stiffer swaybars without getting stiffer springs/shocks first.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:17 PM   #11
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair

Actually Both Serge's and my car is lowered with upgraded shocks/springs. I have Bilstein/Eibach combo w/ GC RSM where as Serge has the BAS/Bilstein combo.

Anyways, I agree with Serge though. I definitely would want the conversaion kit to have the sways linked to my front struts. The rear M3 sways will fit no problem. The E36 318's have "special" front struts unlike the other 3 series which are not interchangable.

Serge,

Actually the RD bars are the cheapest. Only $299US from BAS. This is the ones I'll most likely get. After talking with you I've decided to get adjustable sways and RD has the best ones for adjustment. Lets organize a group buy!

Also, how difficult is it to adjust the sway bars? It's not like you can do it without jacking up the car correct?

Bryan

Last edited by Autotechnica; 02-17-2003 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:32 PM   #12
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Bryan,

Where did you find that price??? All I see is about 450US from the BAS website and only for 318/M3. They don't seem to even carry them for the compacts.

To adjust them all you need to do is to get BOTH wheels off the ground, so jacking is a must. I don't know about you but I can't even get a shoulder under my car without jacking it up first.

SL

Quote:
Actually the RD bars are the cheapest. Only $299US from BAS. This is the ones I'll most likely get. After talking with you I've decided to get adjustable sways and RD has the best ones for adjustment. Lets organize a group buy!

Also, how difficult is it to adjust the sway bars? It's not like you can do it without jacking up the car correct?

Bryan
Old 02-17-2003, 07:31 PM   #13
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Bryan,

Where did you find that price??? All I see is about 450US from the BAS website and only for 318/M3. They don't seem to even carry them for the compacts.

To adjust them all you need to do is to get BOTH wheels off the ground, so jacking is a must. I don't know about you but I can't even get a shoulder under my car without jacking it up first.

SL
Damn the price went up! The RD bars use to be cheaper than Eibach sways. Oh well...

I want to see your car someday though. I want to see who's car is lower

I'm a supplier for RD, let me see what prices I can dig up.

Bry

Old 02-17-2003, 09:02 PM   #14
Soldo
6th Gear Member

wait, aren't the 325's have it conected to the CA, but others have it connected right to the struts?!?!
Old 02-17-2003, 09:52 PM   #15
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
wait, aren't the 325's have it conected to the CA, but others have it connected right to the struts?!?!
Only M3, and early production 92 325's are connected to the struts.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: