Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
Sessionz
pfft @ zoomzoom

Confused - 90' BMW 525i

Aye guys,

Uh, I just put 18" Momo's with Yokohomo slicks and got my alignment got the spacers for the rear apparently I didn't need them for the front .. anyway.

I was flying on the 401... and as I was merging to get on to the weston on ramp my steering wheel was going nuts till i slowed down to like 60km..

it was making like a thud sound.. but really repetitatve... kinda like I was taking shots on call of duty or something on xbox.. never happend before I put the new rims on..

Any suggestions?...

Thanks
Sessionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
chromius
6th Gear Member

Sounds like your wheels are out of balance or you have a bent rim.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
Fel
Not Banned

^ditto.

If it didn't happen before the new wheels, then it's probably the wheels...
Old 10-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
Sessionz
pfft @ zoomzoom

Thanks guys,

I'll look into it this coming week.. I'm gonna put on my winter tires.. so I'll get someone to take a look at my rims & tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
^ditto.

If it didn't happen before the new wheels, then it's probably the wheels...
Old 10-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
zubbie
Happy Happy Joy Joy

While it could be the wheels, I'm willing to bet it is something else.

1. Are these E39 (74.1 mm CB) wheels? If so you need hubcentric rings to adapt your wheels to the E34's 72.56 mm hubs. eBay has them and a few online etailers. Note that all BMW rims are hubcentric and not lugcentric like your average chevy so the rim must match the hub exactly or it will be like your lug nuts are loose.

2. If you do have the right centrebore (or rings), putting 18" rims on an E34 which used to run stock rims, will bring out all the worn components in your suspension, particularly thrust arms and steering stuff.

3. Personally I would only use H&R spacers (and they must also be hubcentric). The rest are generally crap.

89 535iA ; 93 M5

Last edited by zubbie; 10-22-2008 at 08:09 PM.
zubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
mirek
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubbie View Post

1. Are these E39 (74.1 mm CB) wheels? If so you need hubcentric rings to adapt your wheels to the E34's 72.56 mm hubs. eBay has them and a few online etailers. Note that all BMW rims are hubcentric and not lugcentric like your average chevy so the rim must match the hub exactly or it will be like your lug nuts are loose.

2. If you do have the right centrebore (or rings), putting 18" rims on an E34 which used to run stock rims, will bring out all the worn components in your suspension, particularly thrust arms and steering stuff.

mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
Sessionz
pfft @ zoomzoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubbie View Post

3. Personally I would only use H&R spacers (and they must also be hubcentric). The rest are generally crap.
I never thought of that.... All I know is i got 2 spacers for the rear

I'll keep that in mind and check into it..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: