Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > BMW News
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-20-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
Gamite

Electric Mini-E Announced:

Five hundred Mini aficionados in New York, New Jersey and California will soon have the chance to lease the first all-electric Mini E following its official introduction at the LA Auto Show at the end of November. The little 'lectric Verne Troyer tribute will feature a 204 HP electric motor sending 162 lb-ft of torque through a single-speed gearbox to the front wheels. Mini claims a 0-to-62 sprint of 8.5 seconds — nothing spectacular, but when you consider the lack of shifts and the electric's full torque production at 0 RPM, it's gotta feel like a jet plane taking off. The lithium-ion battery pack is good for 150 miles between refills, facilitated by a charger included in the as-yet-unannounced lease price.

Source: http://jalopnik.com/5065786/electric...o-la-auto-show

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

i want one.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
BigD
the misanthropist

Yet another GM pioneered effort that was ahead of the rest of the world by 10 years, and managed to drop the ball as usual. If only their execs were as intelligent and adventurous as their engineers...
Old 10-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Yet another GM pioneered effort that was ahead of the rest of the world by 10 years, and managed to drop the ball as usual. If only their execs were as intelligent and adventurous as their engineers...
EV1 was not the first. There were many electric cars before that. In fact they were even making them in USSR as well in limited numbers.

SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
EV1 was not the first. There were many electric cars before that. In fact they were even making them in USSR as well in limited numbers.
It was the first mass produced. GM had electric car prototypes forever too. Except now it's becoming more and more of a niche toy and they had the chance to have a monopoly on it. Now they'll have to reintroduce an electric car, as usual, having given up on it saying no one wants it, and then have to play catch-up because for some reason everyone's buying them from the Japs and Germans.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Yes, the EV1 was the first production vehicle from a major auto maker. It was also purposely built, which not too many other manufactures can claim. It was never fitted with a Gas engine model.

I wonder how much the Electric Mini would go for?

I think the Chevy Volt will be promising as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 800px-ChevyVolt2011ProductionCar.jpg (38.6 KB, 123 views)
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
FuryriderX
cra.iX.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga View Post
I think the Chevy Volt will be promising as
well.
So do i.

Anyone else notice the 'lease' clause at the end of that announcement?

Let me buy the darn thing!! Remember what happened with the ev1?
Old 10-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryriderX View Post
So do i.

Anyone else notice the 'lease' clause at the end of that announcement?

Let me buy the darn thing!! Remember what happened with the ev1?
I think it's actually better idea for the first 500 which is the test batch, i wouldn't want to own brand new technology with expensive li-ion batteries which degrade over time.

That and you never know what kinks will pop out, the fact that they are going to service it and everything is covered makes it worthwhile.....depending on the price of course.

But in the end it doesn't matter, we can't get one in toronto even if we wanted right now.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #9
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
It was the first mass produced. GM had electric car prototypes forever too. Except now it's becoming more and more of a niche toy and they had the chance to have a monopoly on it. Now they'll have to reintroduce an electric car, as usual, having given up on it saying no one wants it, and then have to play catch-up because for some reason everyone's buying them from the Japs and Germans.
Look up Baker Electic. Also EV1 was not available for purchase. GM only leased them for a couple of years, so you can't really say it was a mass produced car ready for the public. I'd say G-Wiz was the one that brought electric cars back.
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:33 PM   #10
Soldo
6th Gear Member

So they're planning on selling the Mini as a lease ONLY, like they did with the EV1 huh? My guess is the oil companies are gonna have their hands in the pockets of the car makers and eventually pull the plug on them once again!
Old 10-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldo View Post
So they're planning on selling the Mini as a lease ONLY, like they did with the EV1 huh? My guess is the oil companies are gonna have their hands in the pockets of the car makers and eventually pull the plug on them once again!
I have to agree.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #12
jeffrie
Addict

Doubt full this time around, big oil companies are loosing their hold unlike the hold they had in the 1980's. + too many people are already building their own nowadays.

Nicola Tesla was the first to build an electric car to my knowledge, was a 1930 Peirce Arrow fitted with a electric motor, had a top speed of 90 MPH.
Didn't even use batteries as a power source, used wireless electricity transmitted from a power plant within range, power was transfered through the air to a receiver equiped onto the car.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
Thadose
3rd Gear Member

i might be wrong but the first car...

The electric car was among some of the earliest automobiles — small electric vehicles predate the Otto cycle upon which Diesel (diesel engine) and Benz (gasoline engine) based the automobile. Between 1832 and 1839 (the exact year is uncertain), Scottish businessman Robert Anderson invented the first crude electric carriage. Professor Sibrandus Stratingh of Groningen, the Netherlands, designed the small-scale electric car, built by his assistant Christopher Becker in 1835. wikipedia style

Thadose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #14
hypno_nls1
4th Gear Member

im buying it

Fear Nothing. Risk Everything.

This is not your everyday, ordinary ****ing beamer!!
hypno_nls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #15
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
i want one, you price of petrol!! pff.

i dont want to help those oil companies profit anymore!

oh by the way. The first car was actally electric, but it was not as good as they are today of course. the internal combustion engine was way more reliable and oil was more redily available.

strange how we still have got any really good e-cars yet. except, this one.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: