Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-01-2009, 12:10 AM   #451
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Nope. Still haven't hauled my ass out to Kanata to get my rim fixed nor have I made room in the garage for both vehicles.

Funny how I used to bitch my minivan being too long, I think the 5 is the same length. Geez...where the hell is the snowblower gonna go now!

Oh, firesale on all my E36 parts. I'm chucking everything out this week. Nobody wnats the shit, I can barely give any of it away and now I really need the room!

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:35 AM   #452
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Ignoring the ugly wheels and high price, I LOVE this 540i.

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ166582389

Beautiful color inside and out! Very original!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #453
chromius
6th Gear Member

^^The out of place quad exhaust looks horrid too. Makes it look like a crown vic or something. It's also hard to look past those ugly wheels.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #454
Duct_Taper

+1, that's exactly the colour combo I'd like when I upgrade my E34 to an E39. Definitely needs wheels and exhaust tips... and M5 bumpers. And facelift headlights.

Price seems a bit high for a '98 as well.
Duct_Taper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #455
carjoe
6th Gear Member

I think he might have done what I want to do with my exhaust, except for the dual/dual exhaust. I wanted to get a true dual run all the way to the back and into a dual inlet/dual outlet muffler.

Too bad there no interior shots...

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

Old 11-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #456
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
I think he might have done what I want to do with my exhaust, except for the dual/dual exhaust. I wanted to get a true dual run all the way to the back and into a dual inlet/dual outlet muffler.

Too bad there no interior shots...
Whatever you do, don't do what he did. It's way too out of place, and hangs too low. The only way that I've seen it look good is when people cut out their spare tire well to make room for the exhaust to fit up underneath the bumper like an OEM M5.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:34 AM   #457
carjoe
6th Gear Member

I want to keep it subdued and follow the existing path. Single muffler with dual in and dual out to save space/weight. The only way you'd ever know is to get under the car and see 2 pipes running in parallel to the back. A lot like my E36 actually....

Speaking of which, I saw my old car, repainted and new monster 255's in the rear. Looked great.

*edit* The tail lights are all red. I like. Wonder where he got them or if they're just clears with the top portion painted.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

Last edited by carjoe; 11-05-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #458
chromius
6th Gear Member

Ah, okay I gotcha. I thought you wanted dual in/dual out but on both sides (ie. quad).

Did the guy with your old car keep the same color with the repaint? I really liked it.

For the tails you could do what Jay did to get the all red. His turned out really good.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #459
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
Ah, okay I gotcha. I thought you wanted dual in/dual out but on both sides (ie. quad).

Did the guy with your old car keep the same color with the repaint? I really liked it.

For the tails you could do what Jay did to get the all red. His turned out really good.
Nah, quads belong on M5's. I just want the performance/sound and this looks like a huge restriction.

In the later E36's the 323 guys swapped out to 328 exhausts and got significant gains. I'd imagine this would be a similar experience but I won't know until I get it done next summer...so far I havent' found anyone that's done it with dyno slips.

I'm not sure the tail lights would look as good on my car but they sure look nice.

Ever get the trunk lid open message? I have to check the wiring harness in the trunk...ick.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #460
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Nah, quads belong on M5's. I just want the performance/sound and this looks like a huge restriction.

In the later E36's the 323 guys swapped out to 328 exhausts and got significant gains. I'd imagine this would be a similar experience but I won't know until I get it done next summer...so far I havent' found anyone that's done it with dyno slips.

I'm not sure the tail lights would look as good on my car but they sure look nice.

Ever get the trunk lid open message? I have to check the wiring harness in the trunk...ick.
I think you'd be surprised at how free flowing this exhaust is. It's heavy as hell, but the design of it is actually quite good. It's pretty much a straight through, aside from the cats. The extra kidney/lung chamber, and cannister with no output, would simply be high pressure zones that would reduce sound but wouldn't restrict flow in any way. The single 2.75" is also able to flow quite a lot of volume. Even if you went to dual all the way back, you would have to have a connection between the pipes somewhere, like an x pipe or something. Just due to the offset firing order of a cross plane v8, and the scavenging effects it has on exhaust gases. If you didn't, you would loose a significant amount of power, and might even get rough running, and CEL. Something to think about.

Never had the trunk warning light, except when my trunk is actually open
Old 11-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #461
carjoe
6th Gear Member

I'd definitely put in a cross over. Aside from the quads, the system on the Cinnamon one looks great. Cat back using factory hangers, resonators, x-pipe, looks nice from underneath.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #462
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
I'd definitely put in a cross over. Aside from the quads, the system on the Cinnamon one looks great. Cat back using factory hangers, resonators, x-pipe, looks nice from underneath.
Yeah, for sure. It looks good from the pics. I'd be curious to see it in person to see the routing.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #463
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:

I'm there with you. That's one of my plans for coming weekends before it gets REALLY cold. Along with a coolant temp sensor, air temp sensor, O2 sensors and brakes

The exhaust/intake on the 540 really flow well. There is not much, if anything, to be gained from replacing them except sound.

And the guy.....he's asking way, way, WAY too much for that car. There are others in the Trader that are younger, and with fewer kms going for less.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #464
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
I'm there with you. That's one of my plans for coming weekends before it gets REALLY cold. Along with a coolant temp sensor, air temp sensor, O2 sensors and brakes
We should all combine our 540's and maybe together we could get one working one!
Old 11-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #465
carjoe
6th Gear Member

I wonder if that 01 is still for sale on the market. It wasn't much more than what this guy is asking...

3 540i's in the same location? That's an oil leak waiting to happen.

Aside from the trunk, dead OBC pixels, VANOS screw gear sound, and need for winter tires, my car is good. *sigh*

Oh, and I picked up some motor and tranny mounts just cuz I like inflicting all sorts of pain on myself when it comes to my cars. I'll make sure to do them after a road trip, right when the manifolds are nice and warm.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: