Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #151
Duct_Taper

Fair enough. I don't have a press at home (yet) but I tend to try and take the part out of the car (if possible) and go use the press at a shop I used to work at. Saves time (and annoyance!) overall.
Duct_Taper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #152
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

A press is just a cheap bottle jack in a strong frame. I was considering making a press out of an old jack and a bedframe once. That's what we'd call a 'widow maker'.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #153
Duct_Taper

Yeah - I could make one (have a welder and everything), but princess auto has them on sale every once in a while for less money than it would cost to just buy the steel for the frame. Next time I see a sale like that, I might pick one up.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #154
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duct_Taper View Post
Fair enough. I don't have a press at home (yet) but I tend to try and take the part out of the car (if possible) and go use the press at a shop I used to work at. Saves time (and annoyance!) overall.
Yeah for sure. If you can take it out and bring it to the shop then that's definitely the way to go. But that's not always an option.

For example, I had to replace a brass bushing in a steering knuckle on my 540. Taking the knuckle out would have been a pain in the ass for just a small bushing. So I pressed the bushing out and in while it was still on the car with a home made press. sticking the bushing in the freezer overnight to help it get in easier definitely helps.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #155
everlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duct_Taper View Post
Yeah - I could make one (have a welder and everything), but princess auto has them on sale every once in a while for less money than it would cost to just buy the steel for the frame. Next time I see a sale like that, I might pick one up.
They have one on sale right now if you're interested. I'd love to have a:

- press
- MIG w/ bottle
- parts washer
- small sandblasting tub

but my garage would be full then. Space is an issue, which sux.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #156
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Wanna trade garages?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #157
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:
A press is just a cheap bottle jack in a strong frame. I was considering making a press out of an old jack and a bedframe once. That's what we'd call a 'widow maker'.
Yep, that's the type of press I have access to.
Last time I used it was to take out my outer balljoints...
15+ tonnes of force...Torch on it turning it red hot...
Bang!!! Ball joint to my right, control arm to my left, both flew 60ft+ into the walls.. Me standing their alone all stunned with a lit torch in hand telling myself "that was a really bad idea".
'widow maker' is exactly right.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #158
everlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
Wanna trade garages?
I built some kick ass shelving last night in the basement:

That might free up enough space for a few of the above items.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #159
Duct_Taper

Quote:
They have one on sale right now if you're interested. I'd love to have a:

- press
- MIG w/ bottle
- parts washer
- small sandblasting tub

I basically have all of that except the press.

However, my mig is on flux core right now (no bottle), the parts washer isn't set up yet, and I have a pressure-feed sandblaster instead of a tub, but still
Old 02-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #160
everlast

Do you have space to sandblast things like a valve cover and intake mani?

Or rather, do you have space for me to sandblast my valve cover and intake mani? I have a little one from Princess Auto, but it basically just shoots ****ing sand all over the garage LOL.

I've almost bought a MIG about 10 times now, but my father-in-law has a Lincoln I can use anytime and borrow I'm sure. I just can't justify the space used up for something I will use so infrequently.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #161
Duct_Taper

As far as space goes... it depends on the time frame! Right now, not so much (garage is full of cars) but when the weather gets nice enough probably. I haven't actually run this sandblaster at all yet - bought it to do some parts on my Jeep which I then sold. And yeah, it's very messy no matter how you do it, but this one should at least have enough power to clean stuff pretty well (I have one of the little siphon feed ones too and it doesn't do shit). I need to figure out how I can set up a "clean area" to collect all the sand... probably just set up some plastic sheet on the floor and as some "walls" around an area. Like I said though... no space at the moment, but you're welcome to use it when there's room

I think for a valve cover and intake manifold, you'd probably want to look into getting some glass beads or something - the sand I have here might damage aluminum alloy parts.

For the welder - that was a purchase for the Jeep as well, but it has come in handy for the BMWs as well. I got a pretty good sale price on it (it's the Mig Pak 15 from CT... has a different name on it now, but it's the 230V one). I haven't bought the gas setup for it yet, but I plan to eventually... the flux core makes it pretty tough to weld on anything less than about 16 gauge.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #162
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Or rather, do you have space for me to sandblast my valve cover and intake mani? I have a little one from Princess Auto, but it basically just shoots ****ing sand all over the garage LOL.
I would suggest a bead blaster as duct taper mentioned. not only might it damage the parts, but if any of that sand is left over inside when you put things back together it wouldn't be too great for the engine

Also if you need some help I could help out doing a manual finishing on those parts. I'd like to think I did a pretty good job on my e30 parts finish looked almost factory when I was done.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:08 PM   #163
everlast

Awesome ideas guys..

Hopefully my most recent acquisition will be here for tomorrow night. Let's just say its somewhat of a shortcut.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 AM   #164
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Awesome ideas guys..

Hopefully my most recent acquisition will be here for tomorrow night. Let's just say its somewhat of a shortcut.
Details please
Old 02-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #165
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
I built some kick ass shelving last night in the basement:

That might free up enough space for a few of the above items.
I might have to get you over when I move in, good work

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: