Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
E36is
'OldSchool..'

m50 motor + m/s52 exhaust headers = ????

anybody do this? is it worth it? how much hp increase? would i actually feel the difference (ie: torque). Is there a difference between m52 and s52 headers? how much hours are involved to remove and replace?

thanks.

btw, i have the m50, with the cast iron headers.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

All you gain is a few pounds weight savings. Certainly not worth it, unless there is a problem with your current headers (like they're cracked or something). S52 and M52 "headers" are the same. If you want some gain but are cheap, buy the ebay SS longtube replicas.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
andicanada
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to andicanada
you gain when you put a 328i or m3 exhaust headers and midd section under there i did that on my m50 and i'm so happy with that setup as you have 2 catalytic converters
more HP better respons and better sound
andicanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
I've heard the tubular OBDII headers flow a bit better than the earlier cast manifolds. Some have claimed as much as ten hp, although I haven't seen a dyno to prove the statement. Like Scotch mentioned they are a bit lighter as well. Rommel, you may see better gains as you've had some headwork/port & polish done. If you're interested, I've got a set from my M52 you can have pretty cheap. Let me know bro...
Old 10-08-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
E36is
'OldSchool..'

^^ thanks guys for your insight on this, much appreciated. Dave, PM me a price.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
uber e36
6th Gear Member

I stole your headers
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:49 PM   #7
E36is
'OldSchool..'

^^ I them back... and the catback exhaust! heh
Old 10-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
kenmar
3rd Gear Member

It cost me 4 hours of labour to install my shorty headers. I was planning on doing it myself, but it looks like you have to remove the midsection in order to get the headers in there, which I didn't want to do lying on my back. Even then, it looks like a pain to get them in there. Stock manifolds are probably easier to maneuvre into place.
kenmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

4 hours seems pretty long to install headers. I replaced the midsection on my car, in the driveway on jackstands, by myself, in about two hours. This included putting the car up at all four corners, swapping the midsection, and cleaning up. As competent shop should be able to do it in a couple hours. Hell, I think Bimmersport had my whole motor pulled in less than four hours...
Old 10-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
E36is
'OldSchool..'

Update:

So, i had a set of s52 ex. manifolds installed on my car today at RMP who did a great job in prep work and install (had me in and out in less than 1-1/2hrs). Anyways, heres some thoughts on it..

Sound: car at idle has a more distinct deeper rumble to it, and i still have the OEM catback muffler so thats a plus!

Can you feel it?

Since driving it, i can honestly say that with the s52 manifolds you definitely feel the torque it has gained in the midranges of the RPM. from 0-1500rpm nothing is noticeable, but from 2000-4000+, you definitely feel the torque and the engine wants to be pushed. I also notice that above 2000rpm, the engine sound is more of a scream. from each gear (3rd,4th,5th) when i mash the pedal, the torque is instant (pushes you back into your seat). So if you are looking for midrange punch, i would high recommend the s52 ex. manifolds.

Verdict: am i happy? definitely. but like what was said above, my head had some modifications done to it so that may have been the difference to the added torque. I'll do a dyno in the coming weeks and we will all know how much torque (maybe not hp) i have gained.. to date, the last dyno i did i had 185rwhp, and 159 lbs/ft of torque.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #11
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Glad they worked out for you buddy, and 1 1/2 hours is really reasonable. I knew it wasn't a 4 hour job...
Old 10-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #12
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Sounds like a worthwhile mod. I'd love to see a comparo with these and the e-bay ones for longevity/dyno.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:25 AM   #13
JazzM
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36is View Post
Update:

So, i had a set of s52 ex. manifolds installed on my car today at RMP who did a great job in prep work and install (had me in and out in less than 1-1/2hrs). Anyways, heres some thoughts on it..

Sound: car at idle has a more distinct deeper rumble to it, and i still have the OEM catback muffler so thats a plus!

Can you feel it?

Since driving it, i can honestly say that with the s52 manifolds you definitely feel the torque it has gained in the midranges of the RPM. from 0-1500rpm nothing is noticeable, but from 2000-4000+, you definitely feel the torque and the engine wants to be pushed. I also notice that above 2000rpm, the engine sound is more of a scream. from each gear (3rd,4th,5th) when i mash the pedal, the torque is instant (pushes you back into your seat). So if you are looking for midrange punch, i would high recommend the s52 ex. manifolds.

Verdict: am i happy? definitely. but like what was said above, my head had some modifications done to it so that may have been the difference to the added torque. I'll do a dyno in the coming weeks and we will all know how much torque (maybe not hp) i have gained.. to date, the last dyno i did i had 185rwhp, and 159 lbs/ft of torque.
You'll also notice a difference if you put an M3 (S52) exhaust and midsection. Those are cheap and perform very well (most aftermarket exhaust on an m3 yeald only 6hp gain at most on a dyno).

Like was said before M52 (2.8L) and S52 (3.2L) headers are the same and a good, inexpensive upgrade.

Note: on an M50, you will need to block off the air pump port on the exhaust headers when installing M/S52 headers.

T.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:57 AM   #14
E36is
'OldSchool..'

me again, so as result of installing the s52 headers on the M50 i love the feel and punch of the mid range torque its now giving me. BUT, as stated above, 0-2500 rpm there is no useable torque, so my question is how can i achieve low range torque on the M50. thanks.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:43 AM   #15
E36is
'OldSchool..'

bump..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: