Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

I hate this car!!

sorry for the ranting in advance

Well, another day; another attempt to fix failed.

Computer can now be ruled out as the reason for my 325's rpm issues. Still the same; car will not hold between 1200-1800 rpm. It holds for about 3 seconds, then rpm drops to 1200 for a second (almost as if you turned off the car) then jumps back up & repeats. At 2000 rpm's there is a noticeable miss; but no drop in rpm and anything above & below seems fine. Car accelerates strong and doesn't show any driveability issues.

plugs, coils changed, cams checked for timing, all seals on intake replaced, repeated checks for vacuum leaks, sensors checked for resistance & voltage, now computer swapped out

Now what is the most baffling to me is why in the blue hell won't the car tell me what's wrong??? Surely to god the car can't think that everything is fine, and obviously there is something horribly wrong; a sensor or something that is failing; or something is installed incorrectly from when I put the head on months ago. (the problem's been there since day one BTW)

But scans of the car don't show any codes!!!!

WHY! WHY! WHY!!!!

I'm going to do a compression test on the car tomorrow & see if maybe I pooched the head gasket on installation. I haven't seen any signs of coolant in the oil; but there is some condensation coming through the tailpipes. Just looks like carbony water; not oily residue. No overheating issues thus far & doesn't seem to be losing any coolant.

Would the head gasket even cause this type of a problem? or will this be another wasted weekend

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's

Last edited by Lower_Level; 10-03-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
E36is
'OldSchool..'

does the symptoms happen when the car is cold or at operating temp?

i know you have stated the plugs are new, but have you checked proper gap?, what brand? I had a similar problem where when idling the engine would slightly stumble, turned out that the head gasket seal especially the seal for the plugs were shot (oil pooling at the spark plug area). after replacing that the engine was solid.
E36is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

plugs are NGK coppers; BMW oe replacements. All were gapped when they went in. Haven't checked the gap since, but the problem was there before I changed the plugs & after, so I don't think the plugs are the issue. All new valve cover seals, both for the spark plug holes & the big seal for the cover itself.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
E36is
'OldSchool..'

i just noticed.. you said your idle is 1200-1800 rpm?? i find that odd since my idle is between 600-800rpm. i suspect vacuum leak still.
E36is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

yeah, sorry about that. I was on about 30+ hours without sleep when I posted this; and the thread has been ripped on everywhere for the same slip-up...

the idle is fine, a little rough but steady at 600-800. Problem is when the RPM's get into that range of 1200-1800; in the driveway or on the road. Same thing happens. It's a bitch to drive like that cause it really lurches when the revs drop off & then pick back up again. Almost impossible to get the car to take off from a stop without looking like a total newb on the clutch!!

I've actually stopped driving it because of all this. What a shame...

Old 10-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

well compression numbers are in: 220,210,215,210,210,205

These are cold numbers. started raining, so I didn't get a chance to check at operating temp. Let the gauge sit on each cylinder for about 5 mins to check for pressure drops but there were none.

#6 is down a bit, but still well within range, correct? So sadly I have to think that there is no problems there...

Old 10-05-2008, 03:55 AM   #7
Euro_7
3rd Gear Member

when you drive it and you climb the revs does it hesitate or bog at those rpm's you mentioned above?
Old 10-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

yeah, it happens when I'm driving too. it's a very instant change in rpm's too; which is why it's so hard to drive... it's 1800-1200-1800 and does it ever buck when it does that...

Old 10-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
LVP
2nd Gear Member

plugs?

i have a 1998 328i

i had a hesitation at low rpm's off launch. had a shop do the plugs, same issue. apparently some cars needed the ngk and some needed the bosch. turns out mine needed the ngk's. i put them in and the hesitation was gone.

there was a guy at the budd's dealer in oakville that was smart enough to know this and kind enough to print me off a copy of the chart (i don't know what i did with it - sorry). they should know by vin exactly what plugs you need.

not sure if this is the same thing you're chasing, but it fixed mine problem. i know it's weird, but somehow my engine behaves differently with the two plugs.

cheers
LVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:04 AM   #10
Euro_7
3rd Gear Member

yea i remembered reading about this a while ago, check bimmerforums.com and search for the bogging/hesitation thread, you will probably find what you need there.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #11
bigfeller
Propeller Head

Mauricio

I've got a fantastic mechanic- the father of one of the forum members- that I take my car to when I don't feel like fighting with my car. If you want his number, let me know. His rates are reasonable, and he specializes in German cars.

SOLD- Now Enjoying Honda Civic
bigfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:02 AM   #12
Ted in T.O.
3rd Gear Member

Just a thought. I do not know much about e36's. Do they have an ICV? Idle control valve. The ICV goes on E28 and E24's sometimes which causes these symptoms. If so check that. If not then ignore my idea. Ted
Ted in T.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #13
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

sure its not the fuel pump itself being wacky?
Old 10-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #14
INFAMOU$
Automotive Puppeteer

Send a message via MSN to INFAMOU$
disconnect your O2 sensor completely and see if it runs any different just as a test...!!! Also try the same thing with the MAF
INFAMOU$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

vanos?

When between 1200-1800 do you hear any rattling?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: