Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
iBUYuRENT
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 19
My Emergency Brake Light Comes On While Im Driving??

Anyone Know What That Means? Or What Causes The Light To Come On?
Thank You.
__________________
WWW.FACTORYTIRE.NET
COOLEST WHEELS! HOTTEST PRICES!
1402 MARTINGROVE RD.
REXDALE, ONT.
416 744 1414
iBUYuRENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #2
Cliff21
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 16
Check your brake fluid level. You may also want to check the pads to see how much life is remaining.
Cliff21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
arsevader
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBUYuRENT View Post
Anyone Know What That Means? Or What Causes The Light To Come On?
Thank You.
The switch for the light is usually under the brake handle boot. Take a look it may be loose or shorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff21
Check your brake fluid level. You may also want to check the pads to see how much life is remaining.
Brake fluid has no bearing on the emergency brake.
__________________
'85 325e
'90 325i
'02 325it
'03 320i
'96 Volvo 850R
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
hackman
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBUYuRENT View Post
Anyone Know What That Means? Or What Causes The Light To Come On?
Thank You.
I have seen that problem on a buddys car it was the switch under the brake handle. but like stated above check the others also. As I have seen some people replace the switch and it made no difference.
__________________
hackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member
 
ImolaZHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsevader View Post
The switch for the light is usually under the brake handle boot. Take a look it may be loose or shorted.
+1 just lift up the handbrake boot from the back(requires a little force) and you'll see a switch with some wires coming out of it
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #6
Cliff21
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsevader View Post
Brake fluid has no bearing on the emergency brake.
True, but in most cars the e-brake light will come on if there is a fluid issue. I can't recall if the e46 has a separate indicator for low brake fluid - if it does disregard my previous comment.

Checking the fluid level is a fast and no-cost check anyone can do - and should do from time to time.
Cliff21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
arsevader
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff21 View Post
True, but in most cars the e-brake light will come on if there is a fluid issue. I can't recall if the e46 has a separate indicator for low brake fluid - if it does disregard my previous comment.

Checking the fluid level is a fast and no-cost check anyone can do - and should do from time to time.
Some cars in the past used the main brakes as the emergency brake. This isn't the case with BMW, they all have separate parking brakes.

The fluid check advice is good though.
__________________
'85 325e
'90 325i
'02 325it
'03 320i
'96 Volvo 850R
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 9,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsevader View Post
Some cars in the past used the main brakes as the emergency brake. This isn't the case with BMW, they all have separate parking brakes.

The fluid check advice is good though.
That doesn't have anything to do with which warning light would come on.



It's very likely it could be low fluid level, if the switch itself hasn't malfunctioned.

If your car has an OBC it will also tell you CHECK BRAKE FLUID, but not all models have it.
__________________
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
arsevader
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
It's very likely it could be low fluid level, if the switch itself hasn't malfunctioned.
The OP parking brake light is on, why would that have anything to do with brake fluid?

NM I think I know what you mean.
__________________
'85 325e
'90 325i
'02 325it
'03 320i
'96 Volvo 850R

Last edited by arsevader; 10-03-2008 at 05:57 PM.
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.