Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #16
Avus Blue Rob
2nd Gear Member

Building a car is fun, but it took me 2 years to find the right parts, get everything together, and get the shop to assemble.

But first things first...

Get some track time, then figure out how you want to proceed.

www.soloontario.com covers both Autoslalom (Solo 2 - pylons in parking lots - low speed, safe, cheap) and SoloSprint (Solo 1 - time trials on race tracks - fast, safe, plan on buying tires and brake pads). You can learn about both at the Solo Open House on the first Sunday in April at CSC Racing in Newmarket.

At the same time, you should be signing up for performance driving schools. BMW Club Trillium chapter runs them at Mosport, Ottawa chapter does Calabogie, Quebec chapter does Tremblant, Genesee (Rochester) chapter hosts Watkins Glen, and Mid Ohio is also a great track within range. There are enough of these schools to easily blow your budget. You'll get lots of track time, and very good instructors, then you can do the SoloSprint events to see how fast you really are.

You will also learn where to spend your money to go faster. You can prioritize the mods you want to make, or to help you source the right car.

CASC-OR (www.casc.on.ca) is the Ontario regional racing association, and is made up of a number of clubs. You can join the Trillium BMW club, Toronto Autosport Club, or any of the other affiliated clubs to gain access to knowledgeable members.

Just remember that it is an addiction - like Crack, only Crack is cheaper.
Avus Blue Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #17
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

I'm thinking of going to the SOLO II opener with my 318. I have a couple buddies who race SOLO I and II and they love it. I went for a track day with my brothers bone stock GSR civic (suspension wise) and went for a few laps there. It is addicting. I'm working on building my 318 for track/DD duty. I got the brake setup down, brembo blanks, pads, lines and fluid, I think with springs shocks and tires it should be a fun auto x car.

But like everyone says, it is addicting. I've been to a couple lapping days and it compares to nothing, basically driving your car to the limits and then pushing them more without getting into trouble.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #18
Bruno
4th Gear Member

Go for it, get into the solo school at the DDT, great school, and you will learn a lot.
The 318 is a great entry level car, a tad under power but you will learn a lot about momentum and you will end up being a fast driver when you have something that will require you to break before entering a corner.
Peter and his hyundai accent sure teaches us a lot about smooth driving and momentum, I bow in front of his driving skills.

Looking forward to see the 318 project completed.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:54 PM   #19
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Go for it, get into the solo school at the DDT, great school, and you will learn a lot.
The 318 is a great entry level car, a tad under power but you will learn a lot about momentum and you will end up being a fast driver when you have something that will require you to break before entering a corner.
Peter and his hyundai accent sure teaches us a lot about smooth driving and momentum, I bow in front of his driving skills.

Looking forward to see the 318 project completed.
hah, I'm coming to you when I need my IE stg 3 springs. But those brake lines are mint.

You've seen it in the drive way, I put my short shift in it today and it gets saftied tomorrow.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #20
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
So let's say you got into karting, and have started winning. Maybe you've also registered with a driving school and are doing the solosprint events. At what point does your winning actually translate into getting money as opposed to dumping money into event registrations, licenses, and of course your car?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #21
legger
2nd Gear Member

It wont ever translate...get a good sponsor!
Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #22
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by legger View Post
It wont ever translate...get a good sponsor!
Hmm so at what point is getting a sponsor feasible then? The karting/regional racing events don't have prizes or are they so small it doesn't even matter?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
sold

Old 01-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #23
legger
2nd Gear Member

racing

It doesnt really matter what level your at...if someone will give you $200, or $2,000 to put there company name on your car you promise the world!

If they are in the auto industry tell them you will park your car in front of there business for a day...or if they pay big $$$ let them come out, or there customers and lap your car in a controlled environment....lapping day at Dunville...whatever.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #24
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by legger View Post
It doesnt really matter what level your at...if someone will give you $200, or $2,000 to put there company name on your car you promise the world!

If they are in the auto industry tell them you will park your car in front of there business for a day...or if they pay big $$$ let them come out, or there customers and lap your car in a controlled environment....lapping day at Dunville...whatever.
lol that's assuming your car is something spectacular.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
sold

Old 01-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #25
Bruno
4th Gear Member

You would be amazed what car gets sponsorship from the local pizza joint.
Getting a sponsor isn't easy neither.

The whole thing will end up costing you a lot of money and that is the bottom line for everyone but Shumy and other top dogs. Like a lot of other sports, we are good enough to play but you need to be extra good to be recognized and make a living out of it or even brake even.

Lot's of super good drivers out there without a ride too...
Old 01-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #26
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Then I am way too poor to play this game...maybe one day.

P.S. what driving-involved jobs are there?

I know you said you teach driving school. That's pretty cool. What else?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
sold

Old 01-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #27
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
You would be amazed what car gets sponsorship from the local pizza joint.
Getting a sponsor isn't easy neither.

The whole thing will end up costing you a lot of money and that is the bottom line for everyone but Shumy and other top dogs. Like a lot of other sports, we are good enough to play but you need to be extra good to be recognized and make a living out of it or even brake even.

Lot's of super good drivers out there without a ride too...
Wasn't it Niki Lauda, who said that the greatest talent a racing driver can have is a rich father?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:40 PM   #28
Bruno
4th Gear Member

Instructing driving school is usually a trade off: free track time for instructing. No money involved.
Only the top $$$ schools pay their instructors: Barber skid school probably does.

Being on the track with your car is a passion, you cannot think with your wallet or start counting how much it cost, there is no rational behind it... WE LOVE IT, WE NEED IT.

1st thing 1st, sign up to a Solo I school in May or a BMW driving school in April and see for yourself, (the BMW school is tax deductible as tuition). If you like it, or catch the bug, then you will find a way to reach your goals. Or even show up to an event and talk to drivers and you will quickly understand the reason behind the madness and money spending. We just love cars and to perfect our lap times.

Racing is a disease, Poverty is the only cure

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: