Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > X series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
Mark
2nd Gear Member

Looking to buy 05 X3

My wife wants to buy an X3. I don't know the significant differences between the 2.5 and the 3.0. Do some options only come with one or the other? Are there any ongoing problems that these vehicles have? Is gas milage good? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
damameke
6th Gear Member

My wife is also looking at the X3 and been searching autotrader for pricing from 2005 to 2006.

I am looking at the 3.0, a bit more powerful and with AWD and BMW, using premium gas, the cost definitely wil be higher, i do not know about gas to mileage ratio.

One of my friends who "owned" a X5 has issues with his SUV and just sold it for a Honda Accord.

I am into X series forums for information on its reliabilties too. I know the older X5 has some issues.

Last edited by damameke; 01-09-2009 at 12:34 PM.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
sski
2nd Gear Member

My wife just bought a CPO X3 3.0.

She had a Honda Pilot. The X3 is cheaper to run even with premium.

We drove both the 2.5 and 3.0. The 2.5 worked a bit harder but was OK. We had to get the 3.0. We have a cottage, so the X3 is loaded up (2 adults/ 2 kids plus gear). I have a jet boat to pull, launch, retrieve. I think the 2.5 would just work too hard.

Not sure if BMW only packages certain option with a certain engine??.

Is this going to be the main family vehicle or just for your wife? Is it just the two of you or are there kids too. I understand the 3.0 is a pretty reliable motor.
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
damameke
6th Gear Member

hi sski

what year did you buy? and from a dealer in barrie?

My wife is driving a 2003 325 xi and she just received an insurance quote and the quote is more than $100 less on a 2006 X3 3.0, a saving of more than a $100......go figure ...

with the 3.0 and premium package, you get more options, panaromic roof, heated and memory seat... etc etc

i would prefer for her to trade up to a 2006 330Xi, anyway we are still looking..

btw.... congrats....
Old 01-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
sski
2nd Gear Member

Its an CPO 2005 X3 3.0 with premium package. It's got Heated Leather, Xenons, panoramic sunroof, wood trim interior, upgraded stereo.

Came from Maranello BMW (Woodbridge). You will pay more this way but I have warranty until 160,000 kms and the car is pristine. Everyone just assumed it was brand new. There's not even rust on the bolts in the engine bay.

Depending on your needs you could look at a 328xi touring. Almost the space of the X3, but you keep the handling of the 330xi....it's not a wagon, its a touring...ha ha.

Maybe that's the compromise...a happy wife is a happy life...lol
Old 01-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
damameke
6th Gear Member

Found this thread from another forum:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262130

thats for 2007 X3 onwards; anyone here has any issue with the prior 2007 X3 transmission
issue?

Last edited by damameke; 01-15-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
sski
2nd Gear Member

No tranny problems on my wife's 05 X3.

Did you float the 328xi touring idea past her?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
damameke
6th Gear Member

From what I have read from that thread.... the tranny issues were for 2007 onwards,
she was also told not to buy the X3 from a mechanic that services BMW cars, for there are issues,

yupp.. still trying to talk her into a E90 330 xi, she never like the tourer, so next option might be Lexus 330 but but she is stil looking at the X3.

might have to test drive the X3 before making any decision...
Old 01-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
sski
2nd Gear Member

We went to the Nissan dealer first and my wife was ready to buy a Nissan Murano. I said let's at least check out the X3, so you have all the information to make a decision. Fifteen minute test drive and the decision was made. The Murano was OK, but the X3 was just a different animal. She still loves her X3 every day. Your wife simply needs to drive both cars back to back, then decide.

Our saleman, did say "Once you buy your first BMW, you will always be a BMW person." I can actually understand that now. Nothing else is a BMW.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: