Soooo.... update. Pretty much all weekend was transmission time (Not 'tranny time' Fel
) I got everything out but the transmission itself on Friday night. By 2pm on Saturday, the transmission was on the floor, and separated.
It looks much prettier inside than the first one I took apart lol.
I made sure I was fluent with the repair manual before taking anything major apart (ie Shift rods, pins, detent balls, etc etc)
Sunday Morning.... or afternoon since I got up late
So back to the 'new' rear cover. I had to measure the bearing and the 'new' housing also to figure out what size shim it needed in the back. Then once that was figured out, drop it on the heat plate to expand it just enough so the bearing would fall into place
While waiting I cleaned a couple parts and started to slowly piece things back together. Shift fork arrangement was fairly straightforward...
Finally the home stretch!!!
The only snags I ran into were two things. First when rebuilding it, I had a MAJOR problem trying to get all the detent balls to line up in their respective placings. Dad to the rescue on that one. Its in the little area on the back of the transmission under a plate of three little springs, circled in this pic.
Secondly, the front bearing fell out when I put the rear section on, I guess I didn't heat the bearing up enough and it pushed it out. Thank god for dads huge assortment of BMW specialty tools/pullers that made the job saveable.
Ah well... at least I got it nearly 95% of the way...
The transmission now sounds great, shifts fine, and much quieter with stock mounts again LOL... Put some additive in to help the rattle a bit (Molyslip FTW) and I am now pretty pleased with the result. The unfuhrazement continues... lol