Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Getting a New Deck, Have some Q's.

Well I was going to go ahead and buy a Pioneer DVD Deck, but decided the last thing I need is another distraction.
So now I have dicided to get a nice In Dash.
It MUST have red/orange display option, and it MUST be black.
It will be used to power a no name AmP and a 10" Pioneer sub. I will also be upgrading the stock speakers as time and Money provides.

My budget for an indash is about 250-350.

This is what I am considering along with some Q's.
1) Alpine CDA9886- Does it change Colour? I want red display. Anywhere besided Audio2001 I can get it for less than 300$?
Any general opinions on this deck?

2)Blaupunkt MP68 NRDS0- What shop carries Blaupunkt? How much should I expect this puppy to cost? Is Blaupunkt still good?

3) Nikamichi CD700- What shop carries it? How much should I expect this puppy to cost? I may be willing to step down to the CD500.

Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what is a shop that WILL nNOT butcher my car when installing it. I will not allow FS/BB/ etc to touch my car. Somewhere where they do quality work and don't charge an arm and a leg?

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. '01 Exterior Upgrades; E60 SSK
Toys'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Most things Alpine are pretty good.

Not a fan of the BP.

The NAK is really a pretty nice machine for sound quality, but you need the rest of the system to be on par to realize it's abilities. Basically, the system will be only as good as it's weakest link. I think also with the NAK's, they have no power. You'd need to add a small four channel amp. And add to that, they are not cheap........ the Nak's that is

Are you looking for toys and frills on this new deck ?? I've found that for the most part, I have NEVER used the toys and frills much beyond the first week. So for me, not a big selling point. Makes the NAK a nice choice out of your seletion.......... but once again, the down side is the added cost of an decent four channel amp...... probably in the range of under $300.

Last edited by tominizer; 07-11-2008 at 10:25 AM.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

None of the current Alpines (except the really low models) offer red/amber illumination. You'd have to go old school, like the good old 78xx series. If I was buying new, I'd get a Nak.

Oh, and Safe & Sound will go the best job on that car. 416-757-7233. Yes, use my name.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

NAK, eh? I am going to look into them.

No opinionions on the Nikamichi? I absolutely love the way they look.

Too bad about the red illumination, I HATE the BLUE/PINK/PURPLE/GREEN ones they have, soo tacky .

Safe&Sound, do they sell decks too, or only install?

To answer the Q's, I will be upgrading the speakers as money allows. I won't be going with anything crazy custom, just same size as stock replacements all around, with a 10" sub(that I have), that's my goal.

Bells and whistles is a subjective term, I am not one to play around with a million things all the time. Once I find my perfect settings, I leave it be. I change it only when I switch the music I am listening to.

An old school thought is, the less there is, the better. My dad is looking at tube amplifiers now(home audio) and they have an on/off button, and volume. The rest is just all internal. Its nuts,

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils

Last edited by bmwm5lover; 07-11-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
Mystikal

Nak = Nakamichi, jackass.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Nak = Nakamichi, jackass.
O shit, I am thinking NAD!

DAMN YOU and your short form.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
tominizer
6th Gear Member

I have a few tube hybrids in the garage......... for car audio. Pretty awesome sounding pieces........... when you have the right parts for the rest of the system. But they are not cheap. I'm working something up for the X5 using one of them. Although it's going really really slow as my time spent on it has been limited.

Best systems are simple ones. The more speakers you have, the more complicated it gets, especially if you want to tune things. Ideally, five speakers is all you really need. Two way front stage and a single sub. In my opinion, rears are BS and a total waste of money. Put all the money into the fronts. This whole surrounding yourself with sound is crap. You'll still get reflections and rear ambiance to some degree anyways. But for the most part, sound should be coming from infront of you. Single good four channel amp with the two rear channels bridged for the sub is a good start. I also like going infinite baffle off the rear deck with something like a pair of good 8". Then again, I'm 40 and my tastes are different then most here.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Mystikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
Ideally, five speakers is all you really need. Two way front stage and a single sub. In my opinion, rears are BS and a total waste of money. Put all the money into the fronts. This whole surrounding yourself with sound is crap. You'll still get reflections and rear ambiance to some degree anyways. But for the most part, sound should be coming from infront of you.
Yes. No one besides an audiophile would understand this.

Terry, all you need is a good headunit (like the Nakamichi), a solid amp, and a quality set of front components/sub.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Yes. No one besides an audiophile would understand this.

Terry, all you need is a good headunit (like the Nakamichi), a solid amp, and a quality set of front components/sub.

You basically repeated what I just told him. And what I said is in no way audiophil. Not even close. Trust me, I've been involved for years in judging what you call audiophil............. this ain't it.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

How much would a Nakamichi run me?m They have no prices on their site, and I don;t want to order off ebay or the like if I can help it.

edit: If I am going to invest in another AMP for power, maybe something like this will fit the bill.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nakamichi-CD300-...QQcmdZViewItem

And If I don't

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nakamichi-CD400-...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by bmwm5lover; 07-11-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

What about clarions?
My dad used to have one adn that thing was tank.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CLARION-DXZ855MP...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by bmwm5lover; 07-11-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
Mystikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
You basically repeated what I just told him. And what I said is in no way audiophil. Not even close. Trust me, I've been involved for years in judging what you call audiophil............. this ain't it.
Yeah, you completely missed me there. I'm agreeing with you. My point is that 98% of the cars I've been in have way too much rear fill and people seem to like it. Real audio guys know to only use the front stage.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:27 PM   #13
johnoz
/OO=[][]=OO\

I bought the CDA9884 a month ago and it changes color to an orange tone as well (not exactly the BMW one though)
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=CDA-9884

I like it since it came with Ipod Cable (I think I paid $240+taxes at AudioVideo2000).
Only thing I didn't like is the radio reception. My old JVC had better reception.
johnoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #14
c4sh
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnoz View Post
I bought the CDA9884 a month ago and it changes color to an orange tone as well (not exactly the BMW one though)
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=CDA-9884

I like it since it came with Ipod Cable (I think I paid $240+taxes at AudioVideo2000).
Only thing I didn't like is the radio reception. My old JVC had better reception.
i was thinkin about that deck how off is the amber lighting from the bmw one and did it improve the sound quality alot
c4sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #15
johnoz
/OO=[][]=OO\

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4sh View Post
i was thinkin about that deck how off is the amber lighting from the bmw one and did it improve the sound quality alot
I did a full rewire with sub and amp so not sure what impact the deck has on sound quality. I have infinitys in the front and some pioneers in the back. To my taste and considering the age of the car for me it is OK. I usually listen radio (Jazz FM) so does what I want it to.

As far as the illumination, it is more red as oppose to BMW orange that I have on my 22 year old car.
johnoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: