Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
richmak
4th Gear Member

Latest procedures for importing a BMW from U.S. into Canada

I am just writing to gather some thoughts here. Since late 07 BMW Canada has imposed measures jointly with Transport Canada/RIV to discourage people to import BMWs from U.S.

Highlights include

1. Letter of Admissibility is required to be purchased from BMW Canada / a Canadian BMW dealer. This is a $500 letter.

2. The car must go through the inspection / modification work at a Canadian BMW dealer before a letter of compliance is issued, and forwarded to RIV for the purpose of recall clearance. The cost has been reported from $1000 to $5000.

Before these measures were implemented, one can simply obtain a recall clearance letter from a US BMW dealer at no cost, and any required modifications can be done anywhere before the inspection happens at the Canadian Tires shop.

You could imagine how many people would have been discouraged to import a BMW because of the new measures by BMW Canada.

In July this year, I have read that #1 has been eliminated but #2 is still a grey area. As I am looking to import a E39 wagon from U.S. I am interested to see if anyone here has updates to the latest procedures.
richmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
carjoe
6th Gear Member

I knew about #1, didn't know about #2. I was thinking of picking up an M5/540i next year from the states for the rust free factor. They sure aren't making it easy.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
FastM3
is dreaming of ///M's

They both still exist and the 2nd cost could be higher sometimes.

Don't forget that your vehicle will be worth nothing in a couple years time when your thinking of selling/trading it in. I hope you don't expect to get the value of the same Canadian vehicle when that times comes...
FastM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
kav
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta View Post
They both still exist and the 2nd cost could be higher sometimes.

Don't forget that your vehicle will be worth nothing in a couple years time when your thinking of selling/trading it in. I hope you don't expect to get the value of the same Canadian vehicle when that times comes...

Worth nothing? Interesting. I can't wait to buy all these imported free BMWs in a few years!!
Z4MC - Full clear bra, OEM CSL PS2, RPI Scoop, BMC filter, RPI skid plates, SuperSprint Street Powerloop Exhaust, Superspring X pipe, CSL Euro Headers, UCC Evo3, ESS ECU, Stront Strut bar, DZ CDV, Reverse camera
kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
freewheel
1st Gear Newbie

As an importer of a Z4 purchased just before the imposition of the bogus fees I can speak from experience.

Regardles of the fees there are still huge savings to be had. I saved about $14,000 on my car and could sell it now for more than i paid for it. Although the value would be less than a similar Canadian car to say it is worth nothing is misleading. Having said that I didn't buy it to make a profit so it doesn't matter.

In terms of the current fees. There is info at:

http://forums.ebay.ca/thread.jspa?th...2243&start=480

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...7601&page=1020

http://www.carswithoutborders.com/

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Good luck with your import.
freewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
europrince
6th Gear Member

These automakers always find a way to keep the separate markets and screw us over.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: