Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > Looking for
User Name

Welcome to!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Ciao Ciao
Bella5icilia's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Macomb/Windsor
Posts: 47
buying U.S.

has anyone bought a car in the states and brought it over to Canada? what was the process? what did you have to do, papers, pay...?
R.I.P. e39 528i Sport - "curri curri 'ca ca t'aspiettu"
Bella5icilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
4th Gear Member
330Hi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: GTA/Markham
Posts: 810
Buy car.
Get Letter of Admissibility.
Get the Title faxed over to the US border 72 hours prior to exporting car from US
Bring car to the border (You're gonna need temp plates or previous owner's plates)
Go to US Export office and get title stamped
Come to Canadian border - Tell Immigration officer you're importing car. Enter Canada.
Go to Customs. Fill out form.
Take all documentation with you. (Title, Bill of sale, Letter of admissibility etc.)
Answer stupid questions while they try to scare you (pricks!)
Pay GST and Duty
Take Form 1 from them
They MAY inspect your car - so make sure you have nothing 'extra' in there. (THEY MAY...)
Drive in...
Go to dealership - get your car inspected and DRL running.
Order your Recall Clearance Letter - pay $500 + tax! (BS..!)
Go online and pay RIV fees with your RIV case number if you didnt at the border
Wait for RIV to release your inspection form (BMW will email them recall clearance letter apparently)
Once you get Form 2 - go to Canadian Tire for Federal Inspection

Get Safety and Emissions done (You can do this while you wait for Form 2)

Take everything to Ministry of Transportation
(Bill of sale, title, Form 1, Form 2, Safety, Inspection)
Register car
You will get a RIV Import sticker in the mail
Stick it to your door jamb...

Congratulations... you have time to jerk off now...

Hope it helps...

330Hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
2nd Gear Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 225
do you need a letter of admissibility if your car is say a '92? On the RIV site it says that if your car is 15 years or older, you don't have to check their list for admissibility. Does that mean that you don't need a letter???
Rezae32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2018