Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
nyt
1st Gear Newbie

Wet smell when Air condition is turned on E39

Do any of you have a wet smell (dump) problem when you turned ur AC? For me it is so bad that I donít even turn on the AC when people are in my car. My wife has an E36 and the AC doesnít smell at all.
Do any of you have an advice on how to get rid of this gym smell? I have used all kind of AC air fresheners but no luck.

thanks
nyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Got the same problem. no clue how to fix, however mine is not so stinky but it does smell
Dado 540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

probably some sort of mould in the condenser system. the drain for the AC system could possibly be blocked causing a build-up of stagnant water. you can probably get a dealer or a shop to flush the system with some sort of HVAC cleaner.
...or it could be something as simple as a filter change
Old 07-31-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
bscarlett
2nd Gear Member

I was having the same problem. While I did replace both active charcoal filters, the Einzett Klima Air Conditioning cleaner solved the problem. Here is the link to the details

http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...freshener.html

You can get it from Trevor at http://www.rivercityeurosport.ca/ It is not on his website but just email him and he'll ship it. He charged me about $28.00 including shipping. Awesome stuff and worked first time. Time will tell how effective it is. The trick to this products is that you snake a tube from the centre vents down to the evap core and the foam scrubs everything down there. I tried spraying febreeze and other anti bacterial products through the intake under the hood, it simply left the car smelling horrible. This product works and for $28.00 if you are still not satisfied, take it to the dealer but this is a cheap first step. Good luck!

2005 X5 Sterling Grey/Truffle Brown, Premium and Cold Weather Package, DICE iPod Kit, Bluetooth, DSP, Comfort seats, Invision DVD Headrests, Valentine V1 hardwired, TomTom GPS
bscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_M5 View Post
probably some sort of mould in the condenser system. the drain for the AC system could possibly be blocked causing a build-up of stagnant water. you can probably get a dealer or a shop to flush the system with some sort of HVAC cleaner.
...or it could be something as simple as a filter change
where is the AC drain located? and which filters you talking bout..two cabin filters?
Dado 540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado 540 View Post
where is the AC drain located? and which filters you talking bout..two cabin filters?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...73&hg=64&fg=10

I'm not 100% sure where the drain hose is, but it will be on the bottom side of the car around the front end somewhere. I'm going to be putting my 530 up on the ramps this weekend to try and locate a rattle on the bottom side, I'll try to see if i can find the drain hose. If i were to guess at it i would say somewhere beside the tranny on the passenger side, but like I said i don't know...yet
Old 08-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
Fel
Not Banned

I'd suggest replacing your cabin microfilter. Don't know where it's located on an e39, but they're usually cheap... maybe sure it has activated charcoal on the one side.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Lightbulb

Without a doubt, this is what you need to do to fix E39 smelly AC:

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/AC/smell.htm

Cheers!
Old 08-01-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Good find^
...that seems like a bit of a hassle, hopefully i never need to do it to my cars
Old 08-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
bscarlett
2nd Gear Member

There are 2 cabin filters, one on each side. Open up the hood and they are just by cowl at the back of the engine compartment. I read the BMW Tips section, that was next on my list but the Einzett cleaned it. It does seem like a lot of work!

2005 X5 Sterling Grey/Truffle Brown, Premium and Cold Weather Package, DICE iPod Kit, Bluetooth, DSP, Comfort seats, Invision DVD Headrests, Valentine V1 hardwired, TomTom GPS
bscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:55 AM   #11
Eshan
1st Gear Newbie

ac smells

Hi Ive had simler problems and there is a sprey you can buy for smell from a/c to kill the becteria formed on evap core need a perfessional to sprey in for you special procedure.
Eshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:16 PM   #12
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan View Post
Hi Ive had simler problems and there is a sprey you can buy for smell from a/c to kill the becteria formed on evap core need a perfessional to sprey in for you special procedure.
See my post above.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: