Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-26-2003, 08:44 PM   #46
Lil'Smoothie

Jon I dunno what you consider fast, and not sure what you would like as your first car, but if its one of these modded civics that you are always talking about I think it would be a very unrealistic goal. Just cuz a car doesnt run 13 or 14's in the 1/4 mile doesnt mean its not quick and fun. Bliss' car im sure is hella fast when rolling and off the line, even though its not a 13 sec car like some of these modded jap cars.

As for the original argument Supra vs. M coupe I like both cars, because I love the inline six engine.

But stock for stock BMW gets 330 horse out of a N/A engine whereas Toyota uses twin turbo's to get the same power. I wish BMW could steal Toyota's knowledge on turbo's

imagine a turbo E46 M3
Old 02-26-2003, 08:53 PM   #47
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil'Smoothie
Jon I dunno what you consider fast, and not sure what you would like as your first car, but if its one of these modded civics that you are always talking about I think it would be a very unrealistic goal. Just cuz a car doesnt run 13 or 14's in the 1/4 mile doesnt mean its not quick and fun. Bliss' car im sure is hella fast when rolling and off the line, even though its not a 13 sec car like some of these modded jap cars.

As for the original argument Supra vs. M coupe I like both cars, because I love the inline six engine.

But stock for stock BMW gets 330 horse out of a N/A engine whereas Toyota uses twin turbo's to get the same power. I wish BMW could steal Toyota's knowledge on turbo's

imagine a turbo E46 M3
jeez, it was only my opinion, if it drops the subject, bruce's car is hellllla fasst! there?

toyota and mitsubishi have really good turbo motors, the lancer evo is pushing 19psi and making 271hp, but the motor has 8:1 compression or something, which is good...if they made the compression a bit more, and had a bit less PSI it would make more power i think, but would need higher octane etc, which is why they didnt.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 09:31 PM   #48
Kurt Schneller
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
My 2 cents.....

-I don't think that 1250hp M3 counts for this comparison (the only BMW parts in that car are like 75% of the engine.)

-All cars have their reliability issues, not just BMW's, Supra's have their issues too, as do Civics.

-Jon, you can't blame a car to not be reliable once it has been modified (aka. a lot more power output)

-there is nothing wrong with a fwd car doing 1/4 mile races (as much as I dislike fwd cars), just because it was started by the muscle car guys. Following that logic we should keep Cameros, Mustangs, Corvettes, etc off the road courses and out of auto-x events.

-Jon, a modded Civic is not the epitome of automobile engineering. I'll admit it can go fast in a straight line, and they can be made to handle (somewhat), but it doesn't mean it's best. You can also say that you can make a Civic do 13's or whatever cheaply, I'll bet you I can made an early 90's Mustang do 13's even cheaper. Don't bring Civics into an argument where they weren't even originally mentioned, you are not a spokesperson for modded Hondas.

-last one Jon, not everone cares about 1/4 as much as you.

Flame away....or MSN/ICQ away if it's really off topic.
I agree with much You said, and Jon their is a difference between MECHANICAL failure and wheels falling of. And regarding a 1250HP M3 doesn't count in a comparison like this: it's not like You get "Supra NOS" and "Civic NOS" also that M3 uses 2 T66 Turbos wich alot of other cars "siutable" for this comparison uses.

I'l make a better one later...
Kurt Schneller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 12:06 AM   #49
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

ok, i dont need a flame war, im already #2 on the top 10 list!

i never brought up a civic in this thread until bliss did, i know there are better cars than civics, first of all i would rather have a bmw over a 10sec civic anyday of the week, but i still like 1/4mile..

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Old 02-27-2003, 06:04 PM   #50
WASABI
OG

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
first of all i would rather have a bmw over a 10sec civic anyday of the week, but i still like 1/4mile..
What's up with you and the 1/4 mile? 10sec spurts of adrenaline VS endless enlightenment on a road course ... oooooops I forgot you don't drive yet. ... j/k

I like both the MCoupe and Supra, both sick cars !
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 06:15 PM   #51
Shotta
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Shotta
STOCK supra VS STOCK M what do u think would win on the strip and on a track like Mosport

New Project Car In Da Mix
Shotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 08:38 PM   #52
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shotta
STOCK supra VS STOCK M what do u think would win on the strip and on a track like Mosport
i THINK (not know, for all those ppl who think i consider myself a know it all, GR8 RIDE) the supra would take the m coupe in the 1/4mile, but M coupe would outhandle the supra

Old 02-28-2003, 02:07 AM   #53
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
What time does the M get in the 1/4? Supras do 13.4 or so stock...
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 05:45 AM   #54
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkRider
What time does the M get in the 1/4?
I guess which one, the one with the M52B32 engine (98-00), or the one with the S54 engine (01-02)....

Supposedly a 99 US spec M coupe will do just under 14 with 240hp....I dunno about the post '00 315hp M coupe.....
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 10:18 PM   #55
Shotta
5th Gear Member

i agree with jon, supras can handle a bit but they lack in stopping power (so ive been told)

Old 02-28-2003, 11:43 PM   #56
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
Quote:
i agree with jon, supras can handle a bit but they lack in stopping power (so ive been told)
What do you mean? They have some of the best stock brakes in their range...12.8 inch rotors...

Last edited by BlitzSix; 02-28-2003 at 11:47 PM.
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 11:53 PM   #57
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Rotor size is but one piece of the puzzle when it comes to braking ability.

Just because a car has 12.8 inch rotors means little in terms of direct braking torque, unless you're able to factor all the other pieces into the puzzle (piston area, MC piston size, pedal ratio, hydraulic pressure and clamping force).

Also, pad material has a big impact on braking torque as well, and pedal feel to a large extent.

I always get a kick out of people who want to compare numbers vs numbers on a car. This is like saying a car with a better skidpad number is automatically a better handling car than one with a lower number. Skidpad number reflect one thing...ability to grip around a skidpad. It actually has minimal impact in the reality of *handling*.

The Supra's are a nice car, but wildly over-priced in my opinion. They've held their value well, especially compared to the 300ZX's and RX7's of the Japanese competition.

However, they have never been a popular road-racing car, in part due to the overall weight of the vehicle, and probably due to the cost. Probably not a bad investment to buy one as a collector's car, but I wouldn't want to buy one as a track car.

I've known a lot of people who run the Supra as a 1/4 mile car, but nobody who runs them as a track car.

Oh, and Jon, you might *think* one would handle better than the other, or be quicker in the 1/4 mile, but we know you haven't driven either one. So you're *guessing*, rather than thinking....aren't you?

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 04:29 PM   #58
Shamis
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
i've done 1/4mile (rougly) not road course...both with auto...i just learned stick recently....

supra is 1/4mile beast, u can get 600hp on stock internals

How u dont even have ur licence yet???
Shamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 05:03 PM   #59
Shotta
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
DAMN JAP guys, all they talk about with their cars is the 1/4 mile, some people need to STOP watchin FAST AND THE FURIOUS and relize that 1/4 mile was made for MUSCLE CARS not FWD economic JAP cars!!!
its not about who can drive in a STRAIGHT LINE the fastest either, i dunno WHAT that proves!!
its all about the car, AFTER the straght line, when the CORNERS kick in, then we'd see how BADLY that supra would get KILLED!!!
dude that has to be the most idiotic thing i have ever heard, sorry to burst ur bubble but as much as u and i love bmw, they are not the only fast TRACK cars, there are jap cars out there that would run laps around any bmw....

Old 03-13-2003, 05:18 PM   #60
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
dude that has to be the most idiotic thing i have ever heard, sorry to burst ur bubble but as much as u and i love bmw, they are not the only fast TRACK cars, there are jap cars out there that would run laps around any bmw....
my point exactly, see guys...this is comming from a euro and jap car owner/modder

so wtf, open your eyes, bmw's are the ultimate driving machine - of course, but once u line it up with a modded silvia, skyline, supra..your ****ed, why do u think tlaselva wanted a Supra? that thing will rape a lot of cars on the HWY, and 1/4mile if you know how to drive.

also lil smoothie, look at randy's car..total of $5000 and its in the low 13s, i wouldnt mind driving the egg around when im 17-19..low insurance, and its fukcing fast....the downside is its an ugly POS..lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: