Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
NipponM5
2nd Gear Member

Bad clutch Pedal / master cylinder

I saw someone post the same symptoms somewhere so I thought I'd share my experience regarding my clutch pedal just in case.

When I first got my car 1st and 2nd were a bit notchy. I thought it was normal actually. As I drove the car through the week I noticed that as the car warmed up it became harder and harder to shift into gear.

I took the car to a shop cuz I figured maybe there was air in the hydraulics. They tried to bleed the system but it didn't make any difference.

They checked the master cylinder (I wish I had pics). The shaft of the master cylinder was bent and the hole where the clutch pedal attaches was sheared back. The clutch pedal was on the verge of just falling off!! They were able to weld things back together for now and it seems fine.

The car drives much better now since the clutch wasn't fully engaging / disengaging due to the bent arm.

Apparently this can happen with some of the older cars as a result of metal fatigue?? Especially cars with a heavy clutch like my M5.
NipponM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Hmmmmmm. Interesting. Something I experience is a spongy clutch bedal once in a while that has no feeling at first, then engages/disengages. It happens rarely and for short periods of time. I feel it is probably the master cylinder starting to give out.

Dude, are you on m5board.com ? if not, make sure you join, there is an abundance of M5 specific info there, you can;t get anywhere else.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec-ST Tuning Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
NipponM5
2nd Gear Member

Hey. I've looked at M5 board but haven't actually joined yet. I should get on that. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #4
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

DAMN NO WAY, i have the exact same symptoms for my car, it barely drivibale in 1st and 2nd, and when its hot its even worse!! ive been told that its my gears, but i know its not!! what shop did you take it to?? what exactly did they do??
Old 07-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
NipponM5
2nd Gear Member

I took it to Auto Trend. But I would suggest taking off the cover near your pedals and look at the top of your clutch pedal and your master cylinder. Just check and see if your master cylinder is bent or clutch pedal at the top.

They welded my clutch pedal and straightened the master cylinder shaft.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: