Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

un-effing believable!

Well the day finally came. I got the alternator for the 325 project car from UPS yesterday & began 8 hours of hard labour in that pouring rain yesterday putting the rest of the car back together. Thankfully it stopped raining & cleared up so the day wasn't a total wash.

Filled up the car with new syntec & blue pentosin antifreeze, hooked up the battery & crossed my fingers.

The car started! Took a couple of tries; I'm guessing cause the fuel lines were prolly dried up. Idle was pretty rough, partially casue of old gas & the computer trying to relearn. But I was thrilled that it was running! And no leaks!

For a little while anyways...

The car ran for about 15 mins, & came up to temp. The electric fan kicked on (a good thing). Then my buddy started yelling. Something's leaking.

I peeked underneath & looked... Antifreeze. I looked around & couldn't tell where it was coming from. So I shut the car off & looked around some more. The only place that I seen wet was around the oil dipstick & there was ALOT of fluid pooled around it. So I got really pissed off (hadn't slept all day & was very edgy), slammed the hood down & went to bed.

I'm just hoping that there isn't another head/gasket issue. Guess I'l have a better idea when it stops raining today & I can check the oil & plugs. Either way I've got work ahead cause to get to the coolant lines at the firewall, you have to remove alot of stuff... Thanks BMW engineers

And so the saga continues... Sometimes is doesn't pay to try and win...

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
i will bet you 1$ that its the coolant lines going to the heat exchanger. They're right by the dispstick, and they fail.

replacement takes 2 mins, for either one of them. (there's a third one, lower down, but i've never head of that line breaking)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

Mechanic said to check the same thing Ivan; but I was playing around today & the plot sickens...

So I took a look under the car first thing today & there were some drips pooling on the bottom of the oil pan. One was on the front driver's side corner, the other one was on the rear pan seal (I think) between the block & trans. housing. But it wasn't dripping too badly. So I started the car & started checking for leaks. Didn't see anything that would have produced what I saw last night. So I took it for a quick rip up & down the road. Aside from the idle issue; car runs smooth & pulls pretty freaking hard!

Back up the driveway & back under the car looking for leaks. Nothing but the occasional drip off that rear seal. So I shut it off & went for a nap.

Fast forward to tonite. Car had been sitting for about 5 hours & I started it up. As usual it took a couple of tries to get it to stay running cause of the idle. Let it run for a bit & looked underneath again. Coolant POURING on the ground, all off the driver's side of the oil pan. The oil dipstick area is again just soaked. Checked the hoses & they all look dry. So now I'm back to my original theory that the coolant is getting into the oil pan somehow & flowing out the seal for the dipstick tube. is that even possible?

Shut the car off & when I did I could hear a faint hissing; only lasted for a couple of seconds & then went away. I think it was coming from under one of the plastic covers on top of the motor. My luck it's the head gasket...

Looks like there's gonna be some disassembly tomorrow to find out what that was...

Old 07-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

Well, problem solved. At least one of them.

Turned out that it was a 1" gash in the hose at the back of the block. HAd to rip apart half of the motor to access it. Once again, thanks BMW engineers...

So now that the car stopped leaking, i can turn my attention to the other major issue... the idle.

The car just won't idle cleanly at all. When you start the car, it won't even stay running unless you get on the gas & hold the revs over 2,500 for a few seconds. Then it will stay running, but idle is really rough. You can hear it popping through the exhaust with a pu-pu-pu-pu kinda sound. Engine runs fine otherwise. Aside from a little stumble at around 1,500 rpms (which oddly enough is around where it's trying to idle at startup) it comes up the rev range strong. Car easily pulls 140 km/h in 3rd gear at 6,500 rpm seemingly without a stumble at all. (Hey, I'm used to my 318; I had to see ) Drove it for awhile at highway speed thinking that it may have been in a relearn mode; but once the car stopped it started chugging, revs bouncing between 800-1200...

So this is now my new adventure. Any thoughts on where to start?

Old 07-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
idle control valve is definatly an issue. Sounds like you have more than one.

2 ways of fixing this.

the right way (removing ICV, you dont technically have to remove the intake manifold, but you might as well, its a bitch to get to)

or

spray brake cleaner and then a TINY bit of wd-40 down the intake pipe going from the elbow (after MAF, before TBD) that goes to the ICV.

if this doesn't at least make it much better i will be VERY surprised. It'll likley still be a little off, but it sounds like this is probably your majour issue. once you resolve this you can look into plugs/coils/fuel/etc.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

Hey Ivan, which tube is it? Larger or smaller diameter? Can't seem to find a good diagram anywheres!

Old 07-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

well spraying the ICV didn't help. All it did was make the car puke a bunch of toxic white smoke out the tailpipes. Was the neighbor ever pissed!!!

I'm starting to think it may be a vaccuum leak now. I know on my 318 if I pull the dipstick out when it's running it wants to stall out & idle goes for a shit.(bottom end vaccuum leak) When I try that on the 325 the idle doesn't change. same if I try the oil filler cap.

I dunno...

I'd be driving it now if it wasn't for the idle. The car works SO well once you get over 1500 RPMs. You'd never think that there's a problem!

Old 07-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

Finally! car gave me an insight to what was going on! Check engine light finally came on. Pulled the code & got #1222 - oxygen sensor lean/rich control stop. Seems that I have an intake air leak someplace. I've got a set of intake gaskets here; maybe I'll try them out first. should I give the areas a spray with some quick start & maybe pinpoint the area closer?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: