Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
330Hi
4th Gear Member

Accident - need help/advice ASAP

The street sweeper truck rear ended my Acura that was PARKED outside my house. Called the cops, got a case number and the other dude's insurance information. I hate dealing with insurance companies... pretty sure it shouldnt affect my rate etc. But what should I do now? Claim? Get quote first? How do I make sure that my premium will not be effected. I dont want to give them the slightest chance to try to fk me over...

---------------------
330Hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
DANIMAL
TYRE ETR

Shouldn't have to worry about increasing rates, the sweeper rear ended you. Start the claim, most of the time you can get a rental for the interm provided by the insurance company(although I had to wait two days to get it for some reason, then I had it till everything was all sorted out).

Insurance is a slow process most of the time. Start things now cuz it will likely be awhile before its taken care off. If your concerned just call your broker, they shold be more than happy to help you out with questions and get the process started.

How bad is it? pics?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
330Hi
4th Gear Member

I'm guessing over $1000. Rear trunk, tail light and probably bumper too... needs replacing.

Another question: The car was parked in "P". When he rammed in from behind, the car moved a good 10 feet. Car doesn't move when its in P. Do you think anything might've happend to the transmission?

---------------------
Old 07-22-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
DANIMAL
TYRE ETR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Hi View Post
I'm guessing over $1000. Rear trunk, tail light and probably bumper too... needs replacing.

Another question: The car was parked in "P". When he rammed in from behind, the car moved a good 10 feet. Car doesn't move when its in P. Do you think anything might've happend to the transmission?
It's possible, you would have to drive it around to find out out. That would be a lot of stress on the entire driveline to move the car 10 ft. Did the car actually roll forward or are there flat spots on the tires/rubber on the pavement? What was on the road where you were parked? Gravel or dirt would reduce the kenetic energy required to move the car as there would be less friction between the tires and the ground. How fast was this sweeper going, est?

Talk to the insurance company about it, they should have no issues paying for it to be checked out at the dealer.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
330Hi
4th Gear Member

Just plain road - asphalt.
No screech marks so it probably rolled forward...

So if it drives ok, its all good?

---------------------
Old 07-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
DANIMAL
TYRE ETR

Quote:
Just plain road - asphalt.
No screech marks so it probably rolled forward...

So if it drives ok, its all good?
might want to have it looked at to be safe, as I am not a mechanic, but I would think if it drives fine its probably ok.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

You have to report it first, then call your ins company & see where you should take it in for a quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
330Hi
4th Gear Member

What happens if it's a write off?
Do I have the option to bail out and just keep the car (so that I can part out)
Might as well NOT have a claim on record... which they will use against me anyways later in the future...

---------------------
Old 07-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

It won't go down as an at-fault claim so no worries there

If they write it off they usually give you an option of buying it back at low-cost
Old 07-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #10
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
What happens if it's a write off?
Do I have the option to bail out and just keep the car (so that I can part out)
Might as well NOT have a claim on record... which they will use against me anyways later in the future...
a write off over a tail light and bumper?
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
Bartacus
3rd Gear Member

I'd contact your insurance company ASAP. I got rear ended early this year, and I found out the rules have changed a LOT since I was last in an accident. Biggest shock for me was MY insurance company paid for my damages, even though it was zero fault on my part. Insurance never went up one bit, so as long as the cop verifies that it was zero fault on your part, you don't have anything to worry about.

Bart
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #12
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
I'd contact your insurance company ASAP. I got rear ended early this year, and I found out the rules have changed a LOT since I was last in an accident. Biggest shock for me was MY insurance company paid for my damages, even though it was zero fault on my part. Insurance never went up one bit, so as long as the cop verifies that it was zero fault on your part, you don't have anything to worry about.

Bart
Yeah, they'll pay you and go after their insurance company for the money. Alot easier that way.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: